8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

23 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Yes, I will let you jump. I have no choice. It's either let you jump or risk upsetting my delicate balance of 50% stomach and 50% ulcer as ....

7 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Wow. Joe's profit margins are so low because of high maintenance standards its effecting his health. I'll make two extra jumps just to help him out.

FIFY

8 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Example of white privilege? I had to bring the ID's required on the I-9 form.

Pretty sure there is no law that says employers have to ask for proof of SS or ITIN.  How they ensure they get the right info is up to them.

One of those jobs was for a fairly big government contractor.  If anyone is going to go by the book it's them, since they lose contracts if they don't dot all the I's.

You have to bring what they list in box 6 of the W-7 form.

Yep.  And there's half a dozen documents they will accept in lieu of a passport or DL.

I’ve never been asked for my SS card, and I’ve worked for a number of government contractors, as well as the state government a couple of times. The first time I ever needed it was to file my income taxes after getting a divorce — I had to officially change my name on it — TO my formerly-married name, to file. 
Wendy P. 

11 hours ago, billvon said:

Pretty sure there is no law that says employers have to ask for proof of SS or ITIN.  How they ensure they get the right info is up to them.

Not really sure why you're so heels dug in - Employers have to have the documents presented and if they get it wrong, there are significant penalties.  

On the form, an employee must attest to his or her employment authorization. The employee must also present his or her employer with acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization. The employer must examine the employment eligibility and identity document(s) an employee presents to determine whether the document(s) reasonably appear to be genuine and to relate to the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9. The list of acceptable documents can be found on the last page of the form. Employers must retain Form I-9 for a designated period and make it available for inspection by authorized government officers.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9

1 hour ago, Dr.SkyFall said:

If we want to make simplistic conclusions based off single data point...Just look at the stock market! 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/14/stock-futures-inch-higher-after-sp-500-retreats-from-record.html

I’m not just looking at the lack luster jobs report and rising unemployment. I 
am also taking into consideration what the large spike in inflation has done to real wage growth.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Are you happy, sad, frustrated, or just trying out the new shit stirring paddle you bought on Amazon?

I am being critical of Biden’s policies and their impact on the average American.  With holdings in real estate I would personally benefit from a bit of inflation.

35 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Are you happy, sad, frustrated, or just trying out the new shit stirring paddle you bought on Amazon?

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I am being critical of Biden’s policies and their impact on the average American.  With holdings in real estate I would personally benefit from a bit of inflation.

Oh, that right wing hooray for oneself and to hell with everyone and everything else conservatism. Apparently, you aren't aware of the impact of inflation on the average American. Screw the price of milk as long as you can raise their rent, right?

6 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Oh, that right wing hooray for oneself and to hell with everyone and everything else conservatism. Apparently, you aren't aware of the impact of inflation on the average American. Screw the price of milk as long as you can raise their rent, right?

Actually Joe I am saying just the opposite.  I am critical of Biden’s policies.  While I may benefit, it hurts the average American.  Biden says he will only tax the wealthy and corporations, the reality is the wealthy will dodge his taxes while the corporations pass the tax on to the consumer.  That along with his war on fossil fuels and “money party” fiscal policies are leading to inflation which disproportionately hurts the working poor and middle class.

47 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Actually Joe I am saying just the opposite.  I am critical of Biden’s policies.  While I may benefit, it hurts the average American.  Biden says he will only tax the wealthy and corporations, the reality is the wealthy will dodge his taxes while the corporations pass the tax on to the consumer.  That along with his war on fossil fuels and “money party” fiscal policies are leading to inflation which disproportionately hurts the working poor and middle class.

I think we need to see if the right side of the aisle will allow meaningful change to the code that prevents the majority of tax avoidance by wealthy. Clearly, there is no doubt that the left side of the room would make the super wealthy squeal between sips of that shitty, over priced Dom Pérignon they seem to like.

As far as the "corporations" go, the pricing at any business is limited by what the consumer will pay. Charge too much and in comes the competition, right? That's what the right believes, I seem to recall. Again, a little help from the right with some meaningful anti-trust legislation would assist the little guy, seems to me.

I know some here think you're a troll or a fool. I think you are neither. I think you are a true believer. I think you see what you are convinced too few can see. I also think you are not looking at the writing on the wall about the future of fossil fuels. Regardless of how much fun you are having, or whether you like it or not, that party is ending sooner rather than later. Like movable type it's a success story of yesteryear. Not tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

As far as the "corporations" go, the pricing at any business is limited by what the consumer will pay. Charge too much and in comes the competition, right? 

If the competition pays the same tax, there will be no competitive disadvantage to passing that tax on to the consumer.  

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If the competition pays the same tax, there will be no competitive disadvantage to passing that tax on to the consumer.  

Like energy sources all competitors are not equal. Some may prize volume and thin margins to gain market share over all else. There are more possibilities, obviously.

22 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Like energy sources all competitors are not equal. Some may prize volume and thin margins to gain market share over all else. There are more possibilities, obviously.

Those same dynamics exist right now without a tax increase. An across the board tax on US corporations will do nothing other than to hurt domestic companies and help out foreign competitors.

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Those same dynamics exist right now without a tax increase. An across the board tax on US corporations will do nothing other than to hurt domestic companies and help out foreign competitors.

I keep hearing that and I also keep seeing it not working. By now everyone has noticed that the stock market is not the economy. Maybe if corporations paid more in taxes and less in shareholder benefits like buybacks or offshoring vast profits that increase share value we could afford to help out those low and middle class folks you are worried about with stuff like health care and education.

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Oh, that right wing hooray for oneself and to hell with everyone and everything else conservatism.

Sort of the definition of republicanism over the past 10 years or so.  Their go-to defense of Trump was "well, my 401k is up, so why the f*ck should I care about anything else?"

On 5/7/2021 at 8:56 PM, billvon said:

Sort of the definition of republicanism over the past 10 years or so.  Their go-to defense of Trump was "well, my 401k is up, so why the f*ck should I care about anything else?"

Aside from Brent's concerns for US corporations. His Boo-hooing for protecting the little guy. Lets step back to the day the US reputation died in the rest of the world. i.e. the day trump was elected.

The Dow Jones index was at 18,250 and today its at 34,777. So almost doubled. Thats not enough for the GOP. Of course Biden has beaten trump in index returns:" Using the returns from the time the election was called in Biden’s favor to mid-April vs. when Trump was called the winner to mid-April 2017 the Dow, S&P 500 and the NASDAQ have risen by 9.2%, 10.4% and 6.4% more under Biden, respectively. "

Still not enough for the GOP and Brent. The market cap of US corporations went from $25T to $49 trillion dollars now. Yet instead of a fair tax system taking 20-30% of that market gain.  US debt went up $8 trillion. Still not something Brent will accept.

Of course the markets are signalling that Brent is wrong, as usual. Since the Honorable President Biden was elected and announced his tax increases. The markets are up 10%

6 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Neither does current President Biden. Nonetheless, thanks to his gifted and inspired leadership the awful 25% tariff on French wines has been suspended.

Mon dieu, sanity has returned and just in time for the summer!

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Mon dieu, sanity has returned and just in time for the summer!

Not to mention skyrocketing gas prices and an inflation rate not seen in a decade.  Oh and cyber attacks out of Russia an invasion of drugs, weapons and illegals pouring over our unsecured border and an escalation of the Palestinian/Israelis conflict. 

• Like 1