8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Here in Ohio there is definitely a labor shortage.  I think the stimulus combined with unemployment insurance is partly to blame.

This will cause supply side heads to burst but maybe it's not a labor shortage; maybe it's a paycheck shortage. I'll hazard a guess that even in Ohio no corner offices are being sublet due to lack of tenants. 

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

This will cause supply side heads to burst but maybe it's not a labor shortage; maybe it's a paycheck shortage. I'll hazard a guess that even in Ohio no corner offices are being sublet due to lack of tenants. 

You don't want to do the chicken or egg thing do you?  I can't speak to the rest of the country.  No one wants to do the menial work...I get it.  Hopefully this will force employers to pay more for these jobs.

15 minutes ago, airdvr said:

No one wants to do the menial work...I get it.  Hopefully this will force employers to pay more for these jobs.

This, definitely. And that would mean that the rest of us have to pay higher prices. But, ya know -- I can pay higher prices, and spend a larger percentage of my income. What Bigun said up above about the restauranteur angling to get government money rather than paying to bail out his restaurants himself is pretty key.

We aren't owed keeping our savings by the government; those savings are to help protect us. I don't plan on divesting myself of all assets if I ever need nursing home care so that I can go on Medicaid -- that money is there to serve me, not my heirs. That doesn't mean that I would turn down disaster funding if I needed it and was eligible, but I really can't imagine myself working my life out to get someone else to pay.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)
11 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

This, definitely. And that would mean that the rest of us have to pay higher prices. But, ya know -- I can pay higher prices, and spend a larger percentage of my income. What Bigun said up above about the restauranteur angling to get government money rather than paying to bail out his restaurants himself is pretty key.

We aren't owed keeping our savings by the government; those savings are to help protect us. I don't plan on divesting myself of all assets if I ever need nursing home care so that I can go on Medicaid -- that money is there to serve me, not my heirs. That doesn't mean that I would turn down disaster funding if I needed it and was eligible, but I really can't imagine myself working my life out to get someone else to pay.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

Re:  I don't plan on divesting myself of all assets if I ever need nursing home care so that I can go on Medicaid

I had to take my mother thru the MedicAid procedure/nightmare.  She did have to divest herself of all of her assets; well, nearly all, she got to keep about $20k in the bank.

Everything that you have given away, sold, etc, in the last 5 yrs goes into the MedicAid calculations.

BTDT,

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  And when she died, the state of Oregon got that $20k.

Edited by JerryBaumchen

Exactly.

My brothers and I went through that thought process (but didn't need to actually do it) when my father needed more care. As it happens, his life ran out just as his income would have taken a dive, requiring us (his three kids) to start paying out of pocket. The little extra that he'd had set aside as an inheritance went to private nursing for a short while when we thought he could return to his senior living complex without assistance. We would have paid the cost of what he needed, but it would have begun to sting after awhile. BUT: he didn't need advanced care, just a personal care home, which his social security and retirement covered until the stock market crash in 2008, that would have impacted his retirement noticeably.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

You don't want to do the chicken or egg thing do you?  I can't speak to the rest of the country.  No one wants to do the menial work...I get it.  Hopefully this will force employers to pay more for these jobs.

Another way to force them is through a national minimum wage that is gauged to cover basic living expenses in the workers area but has an agreed upon national cap. And, no, I would not leave that calculation to the localities. Couple that to a single payer national health system and the problem is mostly solved. Welcome aboard.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Here in Ohio there is definitely a labor shortage.  I think the stimulus combined with unemployment insurance is partly to blame.

So much for Joe Biden will destroy jobs if elected.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

But yet the republicans want zero immigration and walls. Plus the $3.25 Big Mac.

Of course the DJIA is up 10% since Joe came in. When he announced his tax increases for the wealthy it went up again.

Biden has been in office for 79 days, and he hasn't attacked the appearance of anyone's spouse, nor linked a senator's father to the Kennedy assassination. He has not called American soldiers who died for our country "suckers" or "losers." He has not sucked up to dictators or derided our allies.  He has not tweeted conspiracy theories.  He has not offered up quack remedies for a pandemic.  He has not called Nazis "good people".

On the whole I like that.

(edited)
1 hour ago, kallend said:

Biden has been in office for 79 days, and he hasn't attacked the appearance of anyone's spouse, nor linked a senator's father to the Kennedy assassination. He has not called American soldiers who died for our country "suckers" or "losers." He has not sucked up to dictators or derided our allies.  He has not tweeted conspiracy theories.  He has not offered up quack remedies for a pandemic.  He has not called Nazis "good people".

On the whole I like that.

A basset hound can do all that AND negotiate a flight of stairs 

Edited by brenthutch
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

A basset hound can do all that AND negotiate a flight of stairs 

Just not a ramp or a glass of water....now we all know how difficult it is to drink a glass of water with one hand. Never know where your mouth is going to be, better use two hands!

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Biden has been in office for 79 days, and he hasn't attacked the appearance of anyone's spouse, nor linked a senator's father to the Kennedy assassination. He has not called American soldiers who died for our country "suckers" or "losers." He has not sucked up to dictators or derided our allies.  He has not tweeted conspiracy theories.  He has not offered up quack remedies for a pandemic.  He has not called Nazis "good people".  On the whole I like that.

Yep.  If he turns out to be a boring chief executive who spends his time in meetings, on the phone and in Congress, it will be a huge improvement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Just not a ramp or a glass of water....now we all know how difficult it is to drink a glass of water with one hand. Never know where your mouth is going to be, better use two hands!

The struggle is real.  January 1, 1984 Amsterdam, 11am.    I awoke as housecleaning was knocking on our door.  She asked if we would be staying an additional night, I looked at my buddy who gave me a thumbs up, I tried to say yes but could not form the words so I just nodded.  Feeling rather parched from the previous night’s activities I endeavored to rehydrate at the sink but my efforts were confounded by a spigot which refused to remain still until it was in the firm grasp of both my hands.  Sometimes it just takes two.

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The struggle is real.  January 1, 1984 Amsterdam, 11am.    I awoke as housecleaning was knocking on our door.  She asked if we would be staying an additional night, I looked at my buddy who gave me a thumbs up, I tried to say yes but could not form the words so I just nodded.  Feeling rather parched from the previous night’s activities I endeavored to rehydrate at the sink but my efforts were confounded by a spigot which refused to remain still until it was in the firm grasp of both my hands.  Sometimes it just takes two.

Because, after all, boys will be boys, but Biden had better not trip up!

Wendy P.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Because, after all, boys will be boys, but Biden had better not trip up!

Wendy P.

Believe me I was, much like Joe is, in no condition to run the free world.  BTW Biden fell three times shattering all previous records of Presidential clumsiness.  

59 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I endeavored to rehydrate at the sink but my efforts were confounded by a spigot which refused to remain still until it was in the firm grasp of both my hands.

Amsterdam. Bidet. You were trying to rehydrate using the bidet. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Where'd you get that lame thing to say? OANN? Newsmax? MCRush?

A decade ago a study was done on FOX viewers by Fairleigh Dickinson University. "Can watching Fox News actually make you dumber than if you didn’t watch any news at all" was the essential question.  Going to the idea of "To paraphrase another great philosopher, P.T. Barnum, nobody grows poorer by selling down to the American public."

"it goes miles to help explain why so many over at Fox News are working overtime to lower the bar of their viewers’ intellectual acumen by passing off right-wing dogma as “fair and balanced” news. Garbage in produces garbage out."

Now ten years after that "60 percent of Republican members in the congress deny climate change. ".   Furthermore 70% of republicans say climate change is no real  threat.

Bravo FOX. Through skillful "debate and facts" you've single handily managed to lower America's IQ.