8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

(edited)
34 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Sorry to tell you. Like the economic policies trump peddled, the " Flux Capacitor" only exists in the minds of trump followers and the fantasy world.

Clearly you don’t understand the difference between fusion and fission.  Let me help you out.

Elecricity produced:

Fission > 0

Fusion = 0

Flux Capacitor = 0

Class dismissed 

(I think you stepped into the trap Kallend set for me)

Edited by brenthutch

24 minutes ago, kallend said:

GM has imagined it, so there is a very high probability that it will.

https://www.gm.com/electric-vehicles.html

I think this is a case of virtue signaling on the part of GM.  Their website says this a "path to an all-electric future",  They don't promise zero gas vehicles by 2035, the promise 30 EV models.

(edited)
15 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Sorry but my time is worth more than three dollars an hour.

Then why are you concerned about driving long distance? If time is valuable, there are much faster ways to cover 2,000 miles than driving.

Edited by SkyDekker
If time is really that important and valuable to you, you should be embracing EV. No stopping for gas and "refueling" your car while it traditionally sits idle anyways is a very clear time saver.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Then why are you concerned about driving long distance? If time is valuable, there are much faster ways to cover 2,000 miles than driving.

But what if he has to tow his boat 2000 miles with his entire family and a load of 4x8 sheets of plywood?  An EV can't do THAT!  In your FACE Elon Musk!

16 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I’m just comparing 40 minutes to recharge to less than five minutes to refill.

A regular 40 minute break, especially on long journeys, is recommended to avoid driving fatigue and prevent accidents caused by falling asleep at the wheel.

3 minutes ago, rifleman said:

A regular 40 minute break, especially on long journeys, is recommended to avoid driving fatigue and prevent accidents caused by falling asleep at the wheel.

Meh.....long distance truck drivers are required to take one 30 minute break in 11 hours of driving daily. If I had to make 40 minute stops every 200 miles or so it would completely ruin the whole gig. EVs are not suited to long trips. Just because it can be done does not mean people will want to do it. 

18 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Meh.....long distance truck drivers are required to take one 30 minute break in 11 hours of driving daily. If I had to make 40 minute stops every 200 miles or so it would completely ruin the whole gig. EVs are not suited to long trips. Just because it can be done does not mean people will want to do it. 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/5/20751975/ev-cannonball-run-record-broken-twice-2019

37 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

EU driver's hours regulations permit a maximum of 9 hours per day (allowed to extend to 10 hours twice a week), a maximum of 56 hours in any one 7 day period or 90 hours in any period of 14 consecutive days. In any 4 1/2 hour period, a driver must take a 45 minute break (minimum 3 x 15 minute breaks through the 4 1/2 hours or 45 minutes after the period has elapsed)

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

And that's assuming there isn't already a line of folks using the chargers.  I'm sure as the tech progresses there will be a different way of recharging.  I think you should bring along a gas powered generator just in case.

7 minutes ago, rifleman said:

EU driver's hours regulations permit a maximum of 9 hours per day (allowed to extend to 10 hours twice a week), a maximum of 56 hours in any one 7 day period or 90 hours in any period of 14 consecutive days. In any 4 1/2 hour period, a driver must take a 45 minute break (minimum 3 x 15 minute breaks through the 4 1/2 hours or 45 minutes after the period has elapsed)

Yes, and the BPA forbids training first jump students older than 55. What happens in nanny state Europe is not what happens in the real world!

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Hi Robert,

WOW!!!!

Re:  Thomsen said he had two goals throughout the run: not to break the speed limit

Good on them.  Prior to this, I did not know of/have read of anyone who did the Cannonball without breaking speed limits.  Not that I know a lot of them.  ;)

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  However, it should be noted that they were not able to take any of their sheets of plywood with them.  :thumbdown:

(edited)
15 hours ago, brenthutch said:

If you spend most of your driving time on long road trips, it will take you more time (unless you/your family likes to make frequent potty stops anyway).   Most people I know with EVs rarely wait at a public charger.  They charge at home overnight, using no waiting time at all, or at work, or at the grocery store while shopping, etc.  Saves time every week, vs. stopping for gas.  One charge every 8-10 days would have  be adequate for my driving when I was working.

And I'll put this here:

May be an image of text that says 'Hi Honey! Did you have a good time with the Harleyboys? What did they think of your new electric Harley? 可A'

Edited by headoverheels

On 2/3/2021 at 8:26 AM, timski said:

Well Bill, Mr Biden has A LOT of damage control, cleaning up after the last guys disgrace... Sooo, you're questioning his integrity based on his clean up efforts? For the record Bill, I know and respect you. I know you're educated and know where you live. It's interesting to see a man influenced by his surroundings/peers... 

Some call it damage control. Others call it destroying progress. It's difficult to see how stopping Keystone is good.

Isn't everyone influenced by peers, education, experience and information?

23 hours ago, billeisele said:

Some call it damage control. Others call it destroying progress. It's difficult to see how stopping Keystone is good.

Touche. It just seems to me that some people can clearly see a shit sandwich when it's presented to them... 

On 2/5/2021 at 8:14 AM, billeisele said:

I sort of agree on Keystone. It's bad policy to throw away infrastructure that has been paid for, really, in the same way every dam shouldn't come down to save fish. Too bad it was such a shit idea to start with. 

Yes, we are all products of our surroundings but no one gets a pass for believing lies just because all the neighbors believe any bunk they're told and you don't want to make waves locally. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 1:24 AM, billvon said:

At 80% charge, and at an exterior temperature of -25C, a Tesla could keep the interior warm for 4 days before running out of power.

How long can your vehicle idle?

i would like to see how you figured that out.  heat uses the most electricity of anything that i know of.  even a tesla is made out of metal with windows, so unless you have a very different definition of warm that myself, which is about 45-50* f, or the vehicle is covered in snow and insulated, i would like to see some sort of calculation or source for that statement.  not that i don't believe you, but internet and all...

I have no idea how Tesla's heater is implemented, but there's no reason that most of the energy shouldn't be directed into the passenger compartment.

In a gas or diesel a huge fraction of the energy goes out the tailpipe as hot exhaust gases. People trying to keep warm in such cars often end up dead from CO poisoning.

3 minutes ago, kallend said:

I have no idea how Tesla's heater is implemented, but there's no reason that most of the energy shouldn't be directed into the passenger compartment.

Resistive heaters up until Model Y, which has a heat pump.

2 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i would like to see how you figured that out.  

Guy tested a recent vintage Model 3 parked in a parking lot at -25C and posted the results in Teslarati.  He said it took ~700 watts to keep him comfortable.  He set the temp to ~60F.  82/.7= 117 hours.

If you are stopped on a road in high winds?  That will be a lot shorter.  If you are partly covered with snow?  Going to be a lot longer.  But that's a reasonable starting point.

heat uses the most electricity of anything that i know of. 

Tesla uses a heat pump, not a resistive heater.

For background, another guy (Bjorn Nyland, who does a lot of Tesla testing) compared the older resistive heater to the new heat pump.  The resistive heater took 2,170 watts to maintain the temperature (72F, 35F outside.) The heat pump took 735.