8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

I would go skiing.

And that is just what we did.  On the way back we hit a traffic jam, a bus slid off of the road, slipped sideways and blocked the access road. (Damned public transportation) We sat in traffic for about two hours while it was sorted out.  It got me to thinking, could an EV deal with being stuck in the cold for several hours, keep its passengers toasty and still have enough juice to get back home?

(edited)
16 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

And that is just what we did.  On the way back we hit a traffic jam, a bus slid off of the road, slipped sideways and blocked the access road. (Damned public transportation) We sat in traffic for about two hours while it was sorted out.  It got me to thinking, could an EV deal with being stuck in the cold for several hours, keep its passengers toasty and still have enough juice to get back home?

Would have prevented this mother and son from dying.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mom-son-die-waiting-car-tailpipe-blocked-snow-article-1.2507972

If you go skiing and you can't withstand the cold for 2 hours, you probably didn't dress properly.

Edited by SkyDekker

29 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

At 80% charge, and at an exterior temperature of -25C, a Tesla could keep the interior warm for 4 days before running out of power.

How long can your vehicle idle?

26 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It got me to thinking, could an EV deal with being stuck in the cold for several hours, keep its passengers toasty and still have enough juice to get back home?

Rough sledding, sorry for that, for the passengers in the bus but at least now we know when you first started thinking about EV's. I'm gonna start googling but if it turns out that EV's have wood fired heaters I'm bailing on the entire green thing.

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Eight hours of charging to drive 2000 miles?  I can do that in less than thirty minutes and that is while we take a mandatory potty break.  So in reality I spend zero additional time for refueling and I don’t have to worry about broken fuel pumps or getting up hills.  

According to the video the Tesla saves $25 in fuel/electricity at a cost of 7.5 hours?  Sorry but my time is worth more than three dollars an hour.

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, billvon said:

At 80% charge, and at an exterior temperature of -25C, a Tesla could keep the interior warm for 4 days before running out of power.

Hi Bill,

I continue to be amazed at far & how fast the infrastructure for EVs have come.

Back when the automobile(s) first became available in this country, if you wanted fuel, you had to take your own container(s) ( usually glass back then ) to a pharmacy, pay them, and then they would fill your container(s).  Then you had to get back home & put the fuel into your automobile.

IMO rather inconvenient for any long-distance travelling.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Eight hours of charging to drive 2000 miles?

Dealing with a cat does take time as well.

My longest drive in a single day to date was 1400 miles in 20 hours.  If we had to do it in a Tesla with today's charging network it would have taken 22.5 hours.  (4 charging stops, 40 min each.)

O the horror.

12 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Didn’t we do this twelve years ago?  Wind and solar are the power sources of the future....and always will be.

You're confusing it with fusion.  Wind and solar already provide more power annually than fusion has in the past 65 years

On 2/2/2021 at 1:16 PM, billvon said:
On 2/2/2021 at 12:37 PM, murps2000 said:

Where do poor people who live in apartments charge their Nissan Leaves if they have to park on the street? 

At work.  At a public charger.  At the store.  Via an extension cord out their window.  A dozen ways - if they want to.

If not?  They can buy a gas car and pay for the gas.  Freedom!

Or take the trains/street cars that are developed to enhance a cleaner public transportation option in the urban areas.

5 hours ago, billvon said:

About the same. 3.75 days with a 13.5 gallon tank on a 2.0L engine. Your massive rager for EV cars is pretty funny. EV is not the future. Less than 0.25% of cars out there are EV and EV cars have existed since the 90s. They are not new by any means. Also, there are many, many areas where there are absolutely zero charging stations for distances that exceed the maximum charge capacity of any EV vehicle. Try driving through a rural area anywhere in any state. It can be hard enough to find gas stations let alone EV charging.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/autos/sc-auto-motormouth-0308-story.html

(edited)
15 hours ago, Westerly said:

When we have a battery that is the size of a gallon of gas that can store as much energy as an actual gallon of gas

FYI, because of thermodynamic efficiency the energy a perfectly tuned car can get from a gallon of gas is about 30% of the actual energy. Mostly it's about 20%.

15 hours ago, Westerly said:

Right now, gas is the lightest, most energy dense, and cheapest fuel we have that is readily available.

Transporting gas around is transporting a highly flammable liquid that can evaporate at high temperatures and emits fumes, corrodes or dissolves some polymers, can pool, leak, needs pumps to fight gravity, etc.

For electricity, a "pipeline" is a plain piece of metal. You can turn it uphill, sharp angles (mostly) and almost any direction without needing to worry about pipe loss or pressure loss. It's much easier to transport electricity than a hydrocarbon fuel. Setting up a charging point is trivial compared to setting up a new petrol station. Yes, the only thing now is range and energy density (see the electric aircraft thread) but the technology is starting to reach this level.

Edited by olofscience

5 hours ago, Westerly said:

EV is not the future. Less than 0.25% of cars out there are EV and EV cars have existed since the 90s. They are not new by any means. Also, there are many, many areas where there are absolutely zero charging stations for distances that exceed the maximum charge capacity of any EV vehicle. Try driving through a rural area anywhere in any state. It can be hard enough to find gas stations let alone EV charging.

Just because you can't imagine something doesn't say it's not going to happen. What Jerry described above is how gasoline cars used to be filled. And it costs far less to build an electric charging station than a fuel one, I'll bet. Not to mention that whole environmental contamination from old tanks thing.

Wendy P.

(edited)
16 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Just because you can't imagine something doesn't say it's not going to happen. What Jerry described above is how gasoline cars used to be filled. And it costs far less to build an electric charging station than a fuel one, I'll bet. Not to mention that whole environmental contamination from old tanks thing.

Wendy P.

Jerry's point is spot on. You really must respect first hand knowledge, I always say. Even now, in 2021, many gas stations in a large part of the developing world are just liter bottles of gasoline on a homemade rack, half with rag stoppers not caps, placed along the road here and there. Walking, then biking, then motorcycles and then cars seems to be the progression. At the of start motorcycle stage there is next to zero infrastructure. Like EV's it's first the vehicle and then the infrastructure. Some posters here really need to get out more.

Edited by JoeWeber

On 1/27/2021 at 8:11 AM, billeisele said:

In October while campaigning Joe said that Exec Orders were a sign of dictatorship. In his first three days he has signed 19. The prior four Presidents Trump, Obama, Bush and Clinton signed 1, 5, 0 and 1, respectively.

Interesting. My opinion, no doubt many are good but there are some bad ones. Good or bad is not the point. The integrity of what one says is the issue.

Well Bill, Mr Biden has A LOT of damage control, cleaning up after the last guys disgrace... Sooo, you're questioning his integrity based on his clean up efforts? For the record Bill, I know and respect you. I know you're educated and know where you live. It's interesting to see a man influenced by his surroundings/peers... 

10 minutes ago, timski said:

Well Bill, Mr Biden has A LOT of damage control, cleaning up after the last guys disgrace... Sooo, you're questioning his integrity based on his clean up efforts? For the record Bill, I know and respect you. I know you're educated and know where you live. It's interesting to see a man influenced by his surroundings/peers... 

It's just damn sad, really. Anyone can be educated. Having the faculties to do something with it, regardless of your surroundings or peers, is the trick apparently. Biden said there are “things you can’t do by executive order unless you are a dictator. We’re a democracy, we need consensus.” The right wing echo chamber blew it all out of proportion and then shaped it into another conservative false narrative. I don't know which is more maddening, is it that these things are so easily checked or is it that so many are duped again and again and still don't doubt their own sources? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kallend said:

You're confusing it with fusion.  Wind and solar already provide more power annually than fusion has in the past 65 years

A century ago fossil fuels supplied about 85% of the world’s energy needs.  Today, after hundreds of billions of dollars have been spent on “green energy”, we have down to about..........85%

BTW the Flux Capacitor provides the same amount of electricity as fusion and fits into the back of a DeLorean.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

.... I don't know which is more maddening, is it that these things are so easily checked or is it that so many are duped again and again and still don't doubt their own sources? 

When you're fearful of life and live in a field of rabbit holes. One hole is the same as the next to escape the circling predators.

10 hours ago, billvon said:

Dealing with a cat does take time as well.

My longest drive in a single day to date was 1400 miles in 20 hours.  If we had to do it in a Tesla with today's charging network it would have taken 22.5 hours.  (4 charging stops, 40 min each.)

O the horror.

I guess your time is not that valuable.

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

BTW the Flux Capacitor provides the same amount of electricity as fusion and fits into the back of a DeLorean.

Sorry to tell you. Like the economic policies trump peddled, the " Flux Capacitor" only exists in the minds of trump followers and the fantasy world.