base615

135-139 main in a Vector V348?

Hi guys,

Recently got back into the sport and I'm needing gear. I previously jumped a 120 and I'm probably not going to be comfortable jumping something that size for a little while so I'm looking at something second hand that can hold a 150 initially for 50 jumps or so and then hold a 135 for a bit. I'll then probably order a new custom rig that will fit a 120.

I'm currently looking at a second hand V348. The UPT chart shows the 150 as the standard fit which is all good but I'm wondering how something like a Crossfire 139 would go in it? My instincts say it should be fine but I don't really want to find out it's no dice and have to go to another second hand rig before getting down to the 120.

Any insight for people with a v348 would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

35 minutes ago, Kenzdik96 said:

Age of the rig can also play the part. A 15 year old rig that was routinely overstuffed with canopies will basically stretch and go up a size when it comes to canopies you can put in it. 

Good point, cheers. I can't remember the DoM but I want to say it was relatively recent (around 2016 I think)

Also, if the main closing loop is attached to the bottom of the reserve rather than the bottom flap you can more easily fit a smaller canopy (as the loop will go over the dbag first and hold it in place). I know Vector went back and forth between the two designs, not sure where they are at now (or for the rig you have).

• Like 2

This is not *exactly* the thing you are asking, but one data point is my V347 which I've packed numerous 135s and 129s into as well as 150s. It has had a Smart 150 in there the whole time. I went down to a Crossfire 119 for a couple of jumps but I'm not sure I'd do that full time without a bit more consideration.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joellercoaster said:

This is not *exactly* the thing you are asking, but one data point is my V347 which I've packed numerous 135s and 129s into as well as 150s. It has had a Smart 150 in there the whole time. I went down to a Crossfire 119 for a couple of jumps but I'm not sure I'd do that full time without a bit more consideration.

Top stuff, thanks mate

6 hours ago, chaospilot said:

Your reserve size also needs to be considered. If you want to put a 150/150 main/reserve in the rig and then downsize to 139 and 120, a v310 would be a better option in my opinion.

I wouldn’t be changing the reserve in this one as this would just be for one main downsize probably. Once I downsize to the 135/139 main my plan is to order a custom rig (probably v310) to put a 120 in and would hopefully be ready for it once it turns up in 5 or 6 month’s time.