1 1
wmw999

iPhone: 14.3 and battery drain?

Anyone else having this issue? All of a sudden, my phone, which never used to go below 75-80% battery is down in the 40’s by the end of the day. I downloaded a performance tool, but it doesn’t give me any actual information about what is causing the sudden drain — just that it’s happening  boy that’s useful  

Anyone know any magic secrets? It’s an 8; nothing special, and I don’t watch movies etc with it. 
Wendy P. 

I saw my iPhone suddenly needing recharging more frequently, but since it just turned 3 years old a couple months ago, I was not surprised. (My previous phones battery died at 3 years). However, I recently saw discussion elsewhere that it might be related to an iOS update, which I had not even considered.

On 1/18/2021 at 6:44 AM, wmw999 said:

with hopes of magic...

Morning Wendy, There's always hopes for magic,  They're called New Year's resolutions :) 

If you haven't already fixed the issue -  

If you have your iPhone connected to an Apple fit bit, there's a bug issue and the update is available, but it should be installed automatically,

There used to be a school of thought to let batteries almost drain completely before charging. That is no longer the case - "lithium-ion batteries do best when kept above a 50 percent charge. Repeatedly allowing the battery to drain fully may shorten its life and decrease its overall capacity."

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/mobile-devices/tips-for-battery-charging-and-how-to-make-your-battery-last-longer/ 

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Thanks. No fit bit, and I've only ever let it run out once, BUT that was around the same time. Seems to be slowly getting better, but it's hard to tell.

Wendy P.

What is your battery health maximum capacity reading in settings? Anything down near 80% means get a new one installed.

Edited by gowlerk

I think I may have solved the problem with my battery draining; 

I looked at the report on battery usage and 98% was "Exposure Notifications". It was around the time 14.3 came out that the state of CO encouraged everyone to enable that, and I did. 

I just turned that off as well as Bluetooth. My current "socializing" consists of an early morning trip to the grocery once/week when it is nearly empty, so I'm not too worried.

14 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I think I may have solved the problem with my battery draining; 

I looked at the report on battery usage and 98% was "Exposure Notifications". It was around the time 14.3 came out that the state of CO encouraged everyone to enable that, and I did. 

I just turned that off as well as Bluetooth. My current "socializing" consists of an early morning trip to the grocery once/week when it is nearly empty, so I'm not too worried.

I see now that has been using a good part (28%) of my battery as well. I'm not sure what to do. It's a little like masks, it protects others as well as me. I get out a little more than you do. If you remember you could just turn it on when you go out I suppose.

3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I see now that has been using a good part (28%) of my battery as well. I'm not sure what to do. It's a little like masks, it protects others as well as me. I get out a little more than you do. If you remember you could just turn it on when you go out I suppose.

Well, I also do a 30 mile bicycle ride on alternate days, but my proximity to other people is measured in seconds. I wear a mask, and find it is handy for eliminating the need for sunblock on the face, and also prevents windchill on fast descents. The downside is at <60F, it results in fogging up my sunglasses, dammit.