3 3
brenthutch

Lefties and lockdowns

10 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Florida 1,350 deaths per 1,000,000

California 1,200 deaths per 1,000,000

No wonder Brent thinks this is a clear win for Florida.

1781926655_91-DIVOC-states-normalized-Illinois(3).png.f625eb8bbd06893ed0bb4699dffa0b52.png

Also California came down from a much higher peak, much more steeply, when compared to Florida.

17 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I would say it’s a tie.  The real winners are the citizens and businesses of Florida.  As a reward to Florida my family and I will be pumping thousands of dollars into their economy via amusement parks, restaurants and bars next month.

Edited by brenthutch

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

I would say it’s a tie.  The real winners are the citizens and businesses of Florida.

I think you missed this. California just blew past Florida but the race isn't over, it's not a tie, and it's obvious who is in the lead.

450368882_91-DIVOC-states-normalized-Illinois(3).png.b3aa5eef9098e984591f28a01a42d523.png

27 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

That is more a result in the difference in the age of the population than any policy difference.

Fl 41.8 years old

CA 36.1 years old

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That is more a result in the difference in the age of the population than any policy difference.

Fl 41.8 years old

CA 36.1 years old

So you agree that your example of Florida compared with California does not support the claim you've been trying to make regarding efficacy of lockdowns?

5 minutes ago, nwt said:

So you agree that your example of Florida compared with California does not support the claim you've been trying to make regarding efficacy of lockdowns?

No lockdowns are very effective......at destroying the economy, ruining children’s education, creating a mental health crisis, exasperating a homeless crisis, destroying small businesses, and draining savings accounts to name a few.  It just doesn’t look like they save a bunch of lives.:`(

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

No lockdowns are very effective......at destroying the economy, ruining children’s education, creating a mental health crisis, exasperating a homeless crisis, destroying small businesses, and draining savings accounts to name a few.  It just doesn’t look like they save a bunch of lives.:`(

But you agree that you haven't actually supported this opinion with any kind of evidence?

26 minutes ago, nwt said:

But you agree that you haven't actually supported this opinion with any kind of evidence?

Yet more evidence:

https://www.internationalaffairs.org.au/australianoutlook/lockdowns-could-kill-more-people-than-covid-19/

and more

https://www.aier.org/article/lockdowns-do-not-control-the-coronavirus-the-evidence/

Edited by brenthutch

25 minutes ago, nwt said:

I've heard the whole "ruining kid's education" thing a bunch of times.  But I see no evidence of it.  I think it's more to do with kids that are driving their parents nuts.

Here we've been remote learning about half the time since the pandemic started.  Right now we are hybrid - some kids staying home, some in school.  Seems to work.  That way parents have the choice of remote or in person learning, and the total present in the (outdoor) classrooms is reduced.  San Diego Unified is doing a more rigid 50/50 - 50% of the time in 'classrooms' (often tents) 50% of the time remote.  No evidence that any education has been "ruined."

But parents are going nuts having their kids home all the time, so they post about how horrible it is  - for the kids.

41 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You know what else causes all of those things? About a million dollars in medical bills due to a bad Covid infection. Plenty of Americans with that right now. Or you could have it worse and you just die. Then your kids get to deal with your medical bills against your estate and you're just dead. 

48 minutes ago, billvon said:

I've heard the whole "ruining kid's education" thing a bunch of times.  But I see no evidence of it.  

https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/news/2020/12/14/remote-learning-takes-toll-students-mental-health/6543209002/

emergency visits and hospital stays for children who thought about or tried to die by suicide have doubled, according to the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics”

You haven’t looked 

1 hour ago, billvon said:

I've heard the whole "ruining kid's education" thing a bunch of times.  But I see no evidence of it.  I think it's more to do with kids that are driving their parents nuts.

Here we've been remote learning about half the time since the pandemic started.  Right now we are hybrid - some kids staying home, some in school.  Seems to work.  That way parents have the choice of remote or in person learning, and the total present in the (outdoor) classrooms is reduced.  San Diego Unified is doing a more rigid 50/50 - 50% of the time in 'classrooms' (often tents) 50% of the time remote.  No evidence that any education has been "ruined."

But parents are going nuts having their kids home all the time, so they post about how horrible it is  - for the kids.

It could well stunt them socially, however. Possibly not a negative as I now think about it. Nonetheless, kids need to associate their friends or they might grow up thinking everyone else was O.K. and be liberals. 

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I would say it’s a tie.  The real winners are the citizens and businesses of Florida.  As a reward to Florida my family and I will be pumping thousands of dollars into their economy via amusement parks, restaurants and bars next month.

You're a real inspiration, I must say. Here you are ready to pump thousands and thousands of US dollars into the Florida economy as a reward for letting the right people die when for free you could just take the nippers camping and teach them how to build a lean-to in the snow explaining how the planet is like a thermos: put in hot and you get hot out. Same with cold. 

Edited by JoeWeber

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Hi Bill,

Re:   But I see no evidence of it.  I think it's more to do with kids that are driving their parents nuts.

I'm with you.  After all, parents have been home-schooling kids for decades.  I have not seen any real problems with it.

Jerry Baumchen

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

You're a real inspiration, I must say. Here you are ready to pump thousands and thousands of US dollars into the Florida economy as a reward for letting the right people die when for free you could just take the nippers camping and teach them how to build a lean-to in the snow explaining how like the planet is like a thermos: put in hot and you get hot out. Same with cold. 

Way too cold up here, not getting any of that global warming.  And it is California NOT Florida that is the COVID death capital of the United States.