3 3
brenthutch

Lefties and lockdowns

Well I’m back from Florida and happy to report bars and restaurants were open and packed.  Disney required masks and capacity was reduced but so was the number of rides, so the lines were long and crowded.  Although masking was required, pretty much any face covering sufficed.  Folks were selling mask inserts that worked great, they held the mask away from my face so I could breathe normally and not fog up my sunglasses while still complying with the mandate. 

Back here in Happy Valley the mass spreader event known as “State Patty’s Day” failed to produce even a slight bump in COVID cases.  Newsom is facing a recall election, Andrew “COVID Gold Standard” Cuomo is in the barrel and DeSantis is on the short list of GOP presidential candidates.

All in all a great week.

19 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Well I’m back from Florida and happy to report bars and restaurants were open and packed.  Disney required masks and capacity was reduced but so was the number of rides, so the lines were long and crowded.  Although masking was required, pretty much any face covering sufficed.  Folks were selling mask inserts that worked great, they held the mask away from my face so I could breathe normally and not fog up my sunglasses while still complying with the mandate. 

Back here in Happy Valley the mass spreader event known as “State Patty’s Day” failed to produce even a slight bump in COVID cases.  Newsom is facing a recall election, Andrew “COVID Gold Standard” Cuomo is in the barrel and DeSantis is on the short list of GOP presidential candidates.

All in all a great week.

Just another fine day fucking the hens, right? I think you might need to wait another 2 weeks and get a PCR test before crowing from the top of the barn. In the meantime, welcome back and I hope you and your kids are safe.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 6:20 AM, brenthutch said:

Back here in Happy Valley the mass spreader event known as “State Patty’s Day” failed to produce even a slight bump in COVID cases.

Whether that's true or not, no gathering is ever guaranteed to be a super spreader event so I'm not sure what you think this proves

(edited)
20 minutes ago, nwt said:

Whether that's true or not, no gathering is ever guaranteed to be a super spreader event so I'm not sure what you think this proves

It’s true alright 

https://images.app.goo.gl/KtHDBcXLRiqyia8f9

”For those downtown this weekend, State College resembled any other pre-pandemic weekend in Happy Valley, with large groups of people roaming College and Beaver Avenue decked out in green.

Penn State students formed lines trailing outside of bars and gathered on porches of downtown rental houses to celebrate State Patty’s — a yearly St. Patrick’s Day celebration held the weekend after THON.”

Community spread levels of COVID infections + tens of thousands of drunk college kids, minus social distancing and masks = nada

Not trying to “prove” anything, it is just an observation.

Edited by brenthutch

12 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Not trying to “prove” anything, it is just an observation.

Clearly you think it means something, otherwise you wouldn't have posted it here, right? Or do you just babble for no reason? What do you think it means?

7 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

The relevant section:

=============

Duke University officials issued a stay-in-place order for all undergraduate students through next Sunday as the school tries to combat a rapidly escalating number of Covid-19 cases.

In a letter sent to students on Saturday, officials at the Durham, North Carolina, university said that more than 180 students have tested positive for Covid-19 and are in isolation, while another 200 are under in quarantine based on contact tracing.
The spike in cases is "principally driven by students attending recruitment parties for selective living groups," the letter said. This is the largest one-week total of positive cases and quarantines since the pandemic began, officials said.

=============

I guess they didn't get the appropriate denier memo.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, nwt said:

Clearly you think it means something, otherwise you wouldn't have posted it here, right? Or do you just babble for no reason? What do you think it means?

It might mean enough Penn State students were exposed to COVID and developed antibodies that the virus no longer has enough hosts to continue to spread in that community.

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It might mean enough Penn State students were exposed to COVID and developed antibodies that the virus no longer has enough hosts to continue to spread in that community.

It doesn't mean that. It doesn't mean anything.

4 hours ago, nwt said:

It doesn't mean that. It doesn't mean anything.

Considering that it usually takes a week or so for the numbers to jump after a large exposure event, it can't mean anything. 

There's no data to evaluate. Unless he can see into the future.

It may not spread much, or it might. Much of the activity was outside. It's been pretty clear all along that the virus spreads much less when people gather outside.

To try to predict the effects of these gatherings now is pretty foolish.

12 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It might mean we are all living in the Matrix.

It might mean that the Jets are going to win the next Superbowl.

It might mean that deniers will suddenly embrace science.

Or, most likely, it means that not enough time has passed for the effect to show up.  It takes ~20 days for masking effects to show up in infections; ~40 days for distancing/shutdown effects to show up.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cdc-study-finds-mask-mandates-dining-out-influence-virus-spread-n1259820

8 hours ago, billvon said:

It might mean we are all living in the Matrix.

It might mean that the Jets are going to win the next Superbowl.

It might mean that deniers will suddenly embrace science.

Or, most likely, it means that not enough time has passed for the effect to show up.  It takes ~20 days for masking effects to show up in infections; ~40 days for distancing/shutdown effects to show up.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cdc-study-finds-mask-mandates-dining-out-influence-virus-spread-n1259820

It might also mean that the wonderful tingling some folks feel in their two typing fingers transmits up their arms and then down their sides to their pendant and feels so good that they just can not wait any longer.

(edited)
5 hours ago, billvon said:

And if there turns out to be no obvious spike, that doesn't imply that the activities were a good idea or that there was no risk of a spike.

We already know that spikes can happen, so finding an event that might have caused one but didn't doesn't mean anything.

Edited by nwt

i recall a similar sentiment around the y2k bug.  all the hype and nothing.  hell, i went to bed at 11 that year because i knew nothing would happen because too many people put in way too many hours making sure of it.  same thing with i t security, when it works well, you don't know it's there until you get the bill.  then you dispute the bill because nothing happened.  then i leave, you get breached, and i charge 10 times the amount to clean up the mess that i could have prevented cheaply.  damn, that went a bit long, sorry.

• Like 2

Yeah, but it's exactly accurate! Kind of like city services - no one wants to pay for problems that are prevented. Or, for that matter, even eat healthy food and exercise to keep age and disease in check the cheap way.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, sfzombie13 said:

i recall a similar sentiment around the y2k bug.  all the hype and nothing.  hell, i went to bed at 11 that year because i knew nothing would happen because too many people put in way too many hours making sure of it.  same thing with i t security, when it works well, you don't know it's there until you get the bill.  then you dispute the bill because nothing happened.  then i leave, you get breached, and i charge 10 times the amount to clean up the mess that i could have prevented cheaply.  damn, that went a bit long, sorry.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Yeah, but it's exactly accurate! Kind of like city services - no one wants to pay for problems that are prevented. Or, for that matter, even eat healthy food and exercise to keep age and disease in check the cheap way.

Wendy P.

Kinda like reserves and A/C engine overhauls. a waste of money till they prove their worth..