3 3
brenthutch

Lefties and lockdowns

The WSJ, has an article saying 55% of Americans have effectively been inoculated by exposure to COVID.  Add that to the folks getting vaccinated and they predict we will be largely back to normal by April.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731

“the consistent and rapid decline in daily cases since Jan. 8 can be explained only by natural immunity. Behavior didn’t suddenly improve over the holidays; Americans traveled more over Christmas than they had since March. Vaccines also don’t explain the steep decline in January. Vaccination rates were low and they take weeks to kick in.”

Edited by brenthutch

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The WSJ, has an article saying 55% of Americans have effectively been inoculated by exposure to COVID.  Add that to the folks getting vaccinated and they predict we will be largely back to normal by the end of April.

I was actually just looking at this today:

91-DIVOC-countries-normalized-UnitedStates (2).png

11 minutes ago, kallend said:

Moron state senator Amanda Chase  (Trumpist)  in Virginia refuses to wear a mask in senate sessions, so they put her in a plexiglass box.

The only improvement would be to publicize how much this is costing the state, with the tagline "freedom isn't free"

Wendy P.

23 minutes ago, kallend said:

Apparently there's been a 15% or so reduction in testing over the past 3 weeks due to inclement weather.

I've been following nation-wide stats pretty regularly and have been thinking about the drop in testing...I wonder how much it's directly related to the drop in cases: less people are feeling ill so they're less likely to go out and seek a test.  I'm sure there are lots of factors, including weather as you say.  Looks like we're largely getting all numbers down below the peak of the second wave, fingers crossed we keep trending in that direction.

8 minutes ago, lippy said:

I've been following nation-wide stats pretty regularly and have been thinking about the drop in testing...I wonder how much it's directly related to the drop in cases: less people are feeling ill so they're less likely to go out and seek a test.  I'm sure there are lots of factors, including weather as you say.  Looks like we're largely getting all numbers down below the peak of the second wave, fingers crossed we keep trending in that direction.

or is the drop in testing leading to the drop in covid cases?  you can't measure what you're not looking for.  if the folks at pfizer are right and the first vaccine is 93% effective after two weeks, then following their recommendation that we drop the dose to one means that we almost have enough vaccines for all of us, and it should be about to start getting better. 

It's a combination of all the above, Some people have protection because they have been infected and recovered, some people have protection because they have been vaccinated, and some people have protection because they are being careful and avoiding getting infected. Pandemics don't last forever and they usually come in waves. In the ebb and flow of infection we are entering an ebb phase. More infectious variants may cause another wave. Or vaccination may largely prevent that. Of course I'm only speaking of what is happening in the US and also Canada. I think it is largely similar in most of western Europe. 

Vaccine dosing regimen questions are only beginning to be answered. But given that the speed of development did not allow for testing of all the possibilities it is very unlikely that the one chosen to be recommended in the emergency approval will turn out to be the most efficacious or the most efficient.   

On 2/16/2021 at 2:15 PM, billvon said:

I've heard the whole "ruining kid's education" thing a bunch of times.  But I see no evidence of it.  I think it's more to do with kids that are driving their parents nuts.

I don’t know it’s that simple. Our 3 year old was in daycare throughout the pandemic. We were insanely lucky.

Some of his old friends have returned to school recently after nearly a year of being away and it’s super obvious how far behind they are in their development.

Losing a year of schooling at that age is a massive deal, imo, (as well as being a huge quality of life impact for the parents).

28 minutes ago, yoink said:

I don’t know it’s that simple. Our 3 year old was in daycare throughout the pandemic. We were insanely lucky.

Some of his old friends have returned to school recently after nearly a year of being away and it’s super obvious how far behind they are in their development.

Losing a year of schooling at that age is a massive deal, imo, (as well as being a huge quality of life impact for the parents).

i wouldn't say massive, as that is the age where they are most resilient.  it's big for sure, but not like going through a war and then whisked off to a refugee camp or being forced to carry a rifle and actually fight, as some have been.

26 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

i wouldn't say massive, as that is the age where they are most resilient.  it's big for sure, but not like going through a war and then whisked off to a refugee camp or being forced to carry a rifle and actually fight, as some have been.

Ok. Yeah. The hardship of the last year doesn’t compare to the impacted lives of abducted child soldiers.

I think that probably goes without saying.

But I’m also reporting first hand experience and observations. There is a BIG difference in the kids that stayed in school vs those that didn’t.

Will they catch up? Probably. I don’t know yet.

Edited by yoink

This is an unusual enough situation that the only data we have is anecdotal. Most “had to quit school en masse” situations involve wars or even more disruptive natural disasters. It’s just part of this generation’s normal now. Sucks for some, strengthens some 
Wendy P. 

32 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

mine chose to stay out and actually is graduating a semester ahead of time.  not like school teaches them much except socialization anyway.  they'll get that back pretty quickly when they get back to normal, school or no school. 

I think there’s a big difference due to age.

Your brain learns better before 5 or 6. It’s a fact. The older we get the less plastic our brain becomes when you’re talking about learning new skills.

So I think the impact on younger kids is probably greater than that on older ones.

1 hour ago, yoink said:

I think there’s a big difference due to age.

Your brain learns better before 5 or 6. It’s a fact. The older we get the less plastic our brain becomes when you’re talking about learning new skills.

So I think the impact on younger kids is probably greater than that on older ones.

it could be, you have a valid point.  it is also more resilient at that age also, so i think they may cancel out.  not sure about that age, but i know that trauma from 1-3 year olds is easier to recover from in some cases.  i wish i didn't know that.  when it comes down to it, it's not that bad when compared to some things, but still not an easy thing to go through.  they'll be all right, or as all right as they would have been anyway, at least we didn't have any school shootings i heard of last year.

Edited by sfzombie13

19 hours ago, gowlerk said:

It's a combination of all the above, Some people have protection because they have been infected and recovered, some people have protection because they have been vaccinated, and some people have protection because they are being careful and avoiding getting infected.

Some reasons are unknown.

Not everyone contracted the Black Death or the plague of the 1660s. Cholera, yellow fever, etc. epidemics all have people who just didn't get it.

I've never had influenza (epidemic or seasonal) despite being exposed to major outbreaks in 1957, 1968 and 1976. 

On 2/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, brenthutch said:

Look Bill, I think I have supported my claims, admittedly some better than others.  It’s funny how this thread is how lefties like lockdowns more than righties and we have just spent 17 pages proving that to be the case. 

No shit Sherlock. Lefties like doing things to help slow the spread of a pandemic. Righties like howling 'freedom!' and giving science the middle finger. What a stellar observation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kallend said:

I've never had influenza (epidemic or seasonal) despite being exposed to major outbreaks in 1957, 1968 and 1976. 

Most people who get influenza don't actually know it. I have never been diagnosed with influenza but I suspect that I have had it. However there are noroviruses that can cause similar symptoms. I have never had an illness like that last the 10 to 14 days that are the classic length of a full blown infection, but that does not mean I have never had it. The same way as covid has asymptomatic carriers. 

Edited by gowlerk

On 2/20/2021 at 12:07 PM, brenthutch said:

The weather in Florida is just fine, and the reduction in covid continues.

Move there and show them how it's done, I'm sure they can use another turbine dropzone. No stupid masks allowed, including plexiglas visors, 1440 degree low turns encouraged because it's all about personal responsibility, No AAD's because conservatives know that self reliance is key and grand opening day is every day because, well, FREEDOM! Go for it, man, you have an MBA, what more can it take?