3 3
brenthutch

Lefties and lockdowns

16 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Looks like COVID cases have plateaued and are dropping across the country, even in areas that didn’t lockdown and didn’t have mask mandates.  That is curious.¬¬

image.png

You may find this hard to believe, but some people actually do what they need to do without being forced, and others refuse even when it's required.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Vaccines have just started coming out, and only a small portion have received both shots so it can’t be that.  Don’t trust me?  Google your heart out.

as nwt so eloquently stated, some of us out there are isolating and wearing masks everywhere, mostly because we care about others.  i don't really care about anyone who thinks like you, but my tolerance allows me to coexist peacefully, and even keep my mouth shut, until your poisonous views start affecting me.  racism is poison, and needs to be eradicated.  had they not been too weak to stand up after the civil war, it would have been gone by now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Vaccines have just started coming out, and only a small portion have received both shots so it can’t be that.  Don’t trust me?  Google your heart out.

The vaccines start to become effective around 1 week after the first dose.

14 minutes ago, nwt said:

You may find this hard to believe, but some people actually do what they need to do without being forced, and others refuse even when it's required.

That is fine, end the pointless lockdowns, wear a mask if you want, don’t if you don’t.  If you are scared stay home and let the rest of us get on with our lives.  I pulled my kids out of their shut down public school and put them in a private school that never shut down.  End result? My kids get an education while public school kids loose a year. Of course COVID ran rampant through the private school with exactly ONE case.

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That is fine, end the pointless lockdowns, wear a mask if you want, don’t if you don’t.  If you are scared stay home and let the rest of us get on with our lives.  I pulled my kids out of their shut down public school and put them in a private school that never shut down.  End result? My kids get an education while public school kids loose a year. Of course COVID ran rampant through the private school with exactly ONE case.

What's your point? Do you just enjoy mashing on the keyboard?

(edited)
8 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

i allowed my son to make his own decision, and he chose to do remote school.  he is graduating a semester early.  there have been lots of cases at his school, so many they shut down completely.  than all the bitching from idiots wanting to go back to school, and they  had to add new colors on the map and change the rules to allow it.  at least they're vaccinating the teachers in the first wave though. 

Edited by sfzombie13
grammar

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Looks like COVID cases have plateaued and are dropping across the country, even in areas that didn’t lockdown and didn’t have mask mandates.  That is curious.¬¬

image.png

This is totally expected, following the idiot surges associated with Thanksgiving and Christmas mingling.

3 hours ago, nwt said:

What's your point? Do you just enjoy mashing on the keyboard?

He's stroking his own ego by saying:

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

If you are scared stay home and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

Implying that people only follow the guidelines only because they're scared. More complicated concepts won't fit in his brain.

Look, nobody cares whether brenthutch lives or dies (at least I certainly don't...) but I do care whether the vulnerable people in my life get exposed and die, so I'll keep following the guidelines, and his trolling won't change that.

(edited)
5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

image.png

Well yea, the numbers can only go up so far before they naturally have to go down. They also started going down twice in the past, but resurged to much higher levels later thereafter. But you are right, we are on the tail end of this wave. Until the next wave comes anyway....

The interesting thing about 'natural herd immunity'.. Funny term there. It must have came from the marketing department. Look at it from the virus's perspective. Infecting everyone on the planet is literally the best possible outcome for the virus. That is a complete, unparalleled win for the virus. It also represents the worst possible outcome for humans.

Edited by Westerly

(edited)
4 hours ago, nwt said:

The vaccines start to become effective around 1 week after the first dose.

They are not 'effective' after one shot, they provide some protection after some shot. If the original clinical efforts demonstrated an efficiency based on a single shot, the FDA would likely have not approved it due insufficient evidence of effectiveness.

Edited by Westerly

(edited)
20 minutes ago, Westerly said:

They are not 'effective' after one shot, they provide some protection after some shot.

Protection is efficacy. They mean the same thing in this context.

If the original clinical efforts demonstrated an efficiency based on a single shot, the FDA would likely have not approved it due insufficient evidence of effectiveness.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Edited by nwt
added second quote

3 minutes ago, nwt said:

Protection is efficacy. They mean the same thing in this context.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

As in one shot by itself is not good enough. Both must be taken. If no one takes the second shot, the virus will very much still be around doing its thing. So in reality, you're not protected until you get the second shot. The first improves your chances a bit, the second improves your chances a lot.

6 minutes ago, Westerly said:

As in one shot by itself is not good enough. Both must be taken. If no one takes the second shot, the virus will very much still be around doing its thing. So in reality, you're not protected until you get the second shot. The first improves your chances a bit, the second improves your chances a lot.

This is debatable if I want to be nitpicky. But I don't right now and you aren't really contradicting anything I've said.

(edited)
52 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

One would think the locked down areas would show a steeper decline if lockdowns were all that effective but they don’t.

When there is a real lockdown anywhere in the US, this might be an interesting point.  But there isn't.  Countries with real lockdowns, or at least closer to it, have fared better.

Edited by headoverheels

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

image.png

Now it makes sense, you see the American Flag as a square.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

1) There are vaccines that only require one dose.

2) There is quite a bit of evidence that getting one dose significantly increases your immunity.  Thus if everyone got a single shot, you'd see a significant decline in Re.

That being said, there's no reason to not do both doses in vaccines that require them, since that also improves immunity.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

2) There is quite a bit of evidence that getting one dose significantly increases your immunity. 

As important is the fact that pretty much zero people die from Covid that have had one shot (plus a few weeks), and few are hospitalized.  They still may get sick, but not as sick. 

3 hours ago, headoverheels said:

As important is the fact that pretty much zero people die from Covid that have had one shot (plus a few weeks), and few are hospitalized.  They still may get sick, but not as sick. 

My wife (MD), who is a vaccinator and follows such things in the medical literature, assures me that this is the case.

(edited)
5 hours ago, headoverheels said:

7 hours ago, billvon said:

2) There is quite a bit of evidence that getting one dose significantly increases your immunity.

The manufacturer of the drug--the literal CEO of Moderna--argues otherwise. In the exact words of the people who actually made the vaccination:

The first dose may provide some protection, but as the Moderna CEO, Stephane Bancel said Monday "but we really just don't have any data to prove that at this point."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/02/health/covid-19-vaccine-why-people-still-test-positive/index.html

Edited by Westerly