3 3
brenthutch

Lefties and lockdowns

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Obama received 65,915,793 votes 

Biden received 81,281,502 votes 

Biden’s popularity exceeds Obama’s by more than fifteen million votes.

Its honestly so simple, people voted for Biden to oppose Trump rather than to show support for Biden.

Children understand that concept but I guess I set my expectations too high for some...

Probably why Trump and the GOP lost and will continue to be little bitches about it. SAD.

3 hours ago, murps2000 said:

It isn’t that. I’ve seen plenty. It’s just, I so want to believe he isn’t trolling because he was always such a cool guy in real life back when I used to jump at the same dz as him many years ago. I can’t believe he isn’t still that same guy either. It’s a bit surreal for me, and more confusing than anything else. 

To be fair, I don’t disagree with everything I’ve seen him post, and he has provided information in other threads that I have learned from. I think some of his logic can be a bit fallacious, as in this case, but I rarely have the time to go through what it would take to prove that. I probably shouldn’t even engage online. I think next time I’m in Maryland and it’s safer to travel, I just need to grab a bottle of Crown Royal and head up to PA.

Pathetic, lots on the right who condemn the left are now proving who the real snowflakes are. With the lack of direct accountability on the internet gutless people reveal their true identity 

3 hours ago, murps2000 said:

It isn’t that. I’ve seen plenty. It’s just, I so want to believe he isn’t trolling because he was always such a cool guy in real life back when I used to jump at the same dz as him many years ago. I can’t believe he isn’t still that same guy either. It’s a bit surreal for me, and more confusing than anything else. 

To be fair, I don’t disagree with everything I’ve seen him post, and he has provided information in other threads that I have learned from. I think some of his logic can be a bit fallacious, as in this case, but I rarely have the time to go through what it would take to prove that. I probably shouldn’t even engage online. I think next time I’m in Maryland and it’s safer to travel, I just need to grab a bottle of Crown Royal and head up to PA.

Thanks man, we had some good times back in C-burg.  I’m just having fun.  Brenthutch is my acerbic, snarky and provocative alter ego.  I probably (maybe definitely) take it too far sometimes, so I apologize for that.  I was critical of Trump, even said he had the intelligence of an earthworm.  I will be critical of Biden as well.

8 hours ago, wmw999 said:

There are lots of people out there who only voted for Trump because they hated Hillary so much. Doesn't mean they loved Trump.

Wendy P.

So people only voted for Biden because they hated Trump?  That makes two elections in a row where hate won.  I hope we can do better next time.

• Like 1

(edited)
11 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i believe that he may be referring to the fact that without more vaccines, we can't really vaccinate more folks.  he may not be, but it sounds right.  pretty sure we are limited now to what the last admin did, or didn't do, properly to get more vaccines here.  i haven't been keeping up this week though  so things could have changed.

Except vaccines is not the sole solution. What has the CDC been saying for the last entire year? The same damn thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

1. Stay away from other people.

2. Wear a mask

3. Dont go to large events / travel unnecessarily / ect.

4. Wash your hands and dont touch your face.

5. Say home if symptomatic.

6. Use your brain and have some respect for other people's health.

Maybe I added in that last one, but how many people are doing all six of those things? Nearly no one... How many covid cases do you think we would have if 100% of people were doing all of those? I bet a small fraction of what we have now.... We dont need a vaccine to see improvements, we just need people to follow the direction given to them by people who actually know what they are talking about. Cases would go down literately overnight if people did those things.

Edited by Westerly

28 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

So people only voted for Biden because they hated Trump?  That makes two elections in a row where hate won.  I hope we can do better next time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: you really don't seem to appreciate shades of grey.

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Westerly said:

Maybe I added in that last one, but how many people are doing all six of those things? Nearly no one... How many covid cases do you think we would have if 100% of people were doing all of those? I bet a small fraction of what we have now.... We dont need a vaccine to see improvements, we just need people to follow the direction given to them by people who actually know what they are talking about. Cases would go down literately overnight if people did those things.

I hope you realize the ONLY way out of this mess is through Hurd immunity.  Either by exposure (actually catching the virus) or vaccination.  The masking, social distancing, and lockdowns only drag out the inevitable while crippling people’s livelihoods.

Edited by brenthutch

8 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I hope you realize the ONLY way out of this mess is through Hurd immunity.

I don't think we need to make Unix kernels immune.  Just people.

The masking, social distancing, and lockdowns only drag out the inevitable. 

Wrong again!  If you get Re below 1 with masking, distancing etc the pandemic dies off and then ends.   The reason this doesn't work is because people like the one shown below, not because of any problems inherent with masking/distancing etc.  Note that South Korea and New Zealand did just that.

MAGA_mask.jpg

3 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Brent,

How many primary votes did Mike Pence get?

A typical specious argument of yours.

Jerry Baumchen

I wasn’t aware he entered the contest.  The Democrats took the measure of Harris and found her wanting. (She claimed misogyny and racism)

12 minutes ago, billvon said:

I don't think we need to make Unix kernels immune.  Just people.

Wrong again!  If you get Re below 1 with masking, distancing etc the pandemic dies off and then ends.   The reason this doesn't work is because people like the one shown below, not because of any problems inherent with masking/distancing etc.  Note that South Korea and New Zealand did just that.

MAGA_mask.jpg

“There has been no confirmed case of the new mutant strain spreading locally here -- so far. But it’s only a matter of time (before that happens),” he said.

“This is why immunization efforts must proceed as promptly as possible. We’re in a race against time,” he said”

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210124000144

Ardern’s leadership is now indelibly tied to Covid-19. That’s a blessing

But, it’s also a curse. If the Government fails to implement a swift and effective immunisation programme, leaving New Zealand closed off as other populations start to return to some form of normality, voters will very quickly lose patience.

Gratitude at Ardern’s measures to keep Covid out will easily be replaced with irritation at the restrictions keeping Kiwis locked in.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/123998783/delay-in-covid-vaccine-rollout-is-top-risk-for-arderns-government

So Bill, wrong and wrong again.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Thanks man, we had some good times back in C-burg.  I’m just having fun.  Brenthutch is my acerbic, snarky and provocative alter ego.  I probably (maybe definitely) take it too far sometimes, so I apologize for that.  I was critical of Trump, even said he had the intelligence of an earthworm.  I will be critical of Biden as well.

Fair enough. I assumed this was more of an intellectual exercise for your entertainment rather than trolling, although I do believe the line between can get a little blurry at times. I should add, in all honesty, that these forums never brought out the best in me in the past, which is one of the reasons I stopped posting for many years. As others have noted, a keyboard can do that. At any rate, I will continue to argue with you from time to time, but remain as civil as possible and take nothing personally.

(edited)
47 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

Fair enough. I assumed this was more of an intellectual exercise for your entertainment rather than trolling, although I do believe the line between can get a little blurry at times. I should add, in all honesty, that these forums never brought out the best in me in the past, which is one of the reasons I stopped posting for many years. As others have noted, a keyboard can do that. At any rate, I will continue to argue with you from time to time, but remain as civil as possible and take nothing personally.

While it is primarily the former, to be fair, I do get caught up in the latter. That said BillV is still wrong. 

Edited by brenthutch

When someone tries to drive the tone of a community, by adopting a persona, it's up to the community to decide if they want to keep that tone. The less pushback they get, the less effective they find that particular persona.

Adopting a persona isn't the same as trolling. It's more what teenagers love FB and Instagram for -- they can be a different person and try it on for size.

Wendy P.

22 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Yet he stayed in after loosing IA, NH and NV.  It is almost as if he was put up as a sacrificial lamb as a Trump landslide victory was assured given the state of the economy and progress on mid-east peace.  Yup he was so popular that he lost the first three contests and chose a VP who garnered ZERO votes in the primaries.  Makes perfect sense.

You should look up the final result for the Iowa primary. That will really get your conspiracy theories going.

The mean, evil lefties in California did their stupid useless lockdown, and it worked, and now they are ending it and going back to the tier system!  Which must prove to the real smart independent thinker Trumpies that it didn't work after all.  Or something.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/01/25/960370453/california-lifts-stay-at-home-orders-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel

Wisconsin is seeing a significant drop in new positive cases.

The total test numbers have gone down quite a bit too, so the 'percentage of positives' isn't dropping as much, but it's dropping some.

Not sure if it's 'light at the end of the tunnel', or just a lull.

Vaccinations are progressing slowly. A friend who's an RN was recently hired by a 'large national drug retail chain' to stab people. However, her start date has been pushed back a couple times. Originally it was going to be the 20th. Now it's the 2nd of Feb. She wasn't given a reason, but the shortage is probably a good guess.