3 3
brenthutch

Lefties and lockdowns

On 1/19/2021 at 6:48 PM, brenthutch said:

A troll is what they call someone when they loose the argument.  I really must have hit a nerve, six pages of posts attacking my OP in three days :rofl:

Alright, I given you a pass several times now. Sometimes people lose arguments. Your arguments are often very loose.

That, yo, is the critical difference.

Yep.  The evil lefty lockdown by the mean, dumb lefties is  . . . working.  Here in CA we've seen the new infection rate effectively flat for about a month now, and it's actually been declining for the past week. 

That represents hundreds more people (at least) who will survive here in CA.

CA_new_infections.PNG

(edited)
28 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yep.  The evil lefty lockdown by the mean, dumb lefties is  . . . working.  Here in CA we've seen the new infection rate effectively flat for about a month now, and it's actually been declining for the past week. 

CA_new_infections.PNG

And add to the fact that the CA 'lockdown' is anything but. Most people are not staying at home. They are still doing as they do, just there are some restrictions on things like bars, late night partying, ect. A true lockdown would be you dont leave the house, and most people are still leaving their homes plenty.

Edited by Westerly

32 minutes ago, billvon said:

CA_new_infections.PNG

The last I heard CA is doing terribly and facing a possible O2 shortage like a third world country.

10 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The last I heard CA is doing terribly and facing a possible O2 shortage like a third world country.

Well 40 thousand cases a day will do that to you. 

But the first step is to try and get the spread under control so that it's not 70 or 80 thousand, which is how the graph was trending. You know that was the point Bill was making.

11 hours ago, billvon said:

CA_new_infections.PNG

Bullshit.

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/#:~:text=All individuals living in the,the Questions and answers below).

11 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Not really.  CA is not facing an O2 supply shortage.  They are facing _delivery_ problems.  Since older hospitals are now full of people who need high flow O2 - and they are pretty much all COVID-19 patients - their delivery systems cannot deliver enough O2 to everyone. To simplify it a lot, their plumbing isn't up to the task.  They are switching to alternatives like bottled local O2 and concentrators for lower-need patients.

6 minutes ago, billvon said:

Not really.  CA is not facing an O2 supply shortage.  They are facing _delivery_ problems.  Since older hospitals are now full of people who need high flow O2 - and they are pretty much all COVID-19 patients - their delivery systems cannot deliver enough O2 to everyone. To simplify it a lot, their plumbing isn't up to the task.  They are switching to alternatives like bottled local O2 and concentrators for lower-need patients.

I shudder to think what would happen to Brent if there were a CO2 shortage.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, billvon said:

Not really.  CA is not facing an O2 supply shortage. 

I must admit to doing little research on it. I got it from the start of a Politico story about Newsom's problems.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/11/gavin-newsom-california-scramble-fallen-apart-456665

I will therefore modify my statement. CA is not short of O2. LA hospitals are merely so overwhelmed by the demand for it to the point that they have to refuse new patients. I'm sure they will engineer their way out of the problem, the stories I have found are about 10 days old now. The latest shutdown here took nearly 60 days to flatten the curve down to about a third of it's peak. We came just a little short of filling all the ICU beds available. After their number was increased by about 50%. Elective surgeries were cut to near zero and are just now beginning to resume in a small way. Lockdowns are brutal, but needed. I'm not sure why our resident troll started a thread with a title about lefties. Even the most right wing governments go to lockdowns when the situation gets bad enough. Because they work when nothing else does.

Edited by gowlerk

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1349478824606502912.html

“there is no evidence that more restrictive nonpharmaceutical interventions (“lockdowns”) contributed substantially to bending the curve of new cases in England, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, or the United States in early 2020”

“Inferences on effects of NPIs are non-robust and highly sensitive to model specification. Claimed benefits of lockdown appear grossly exaggerated.”

”government actions such as border closures, full lockdowns, and a high rate of COVID-19 testing were not associated with statistically significant reductions in the number of critical cases or overall mortality”

”Given that the evidence reveals that the Corona disease declines even without a complete lockdown, it is recommendable to reverse the current policy and remove
the lockdown”

”stay at home orders, closure of all non-essential businesses and requiring the wearing of facemasks or coverings in public was not associated with any independent additional impact”

”these strategies might not have saved any life in western Europe. We also show that neighboring countries applying less restrictive social distancing measures … experience a very similar time evolution of the epidemic.”

“We show that [lockdown] is modestly superior in saving lives compared to [focused protection], but with tremendous costs to prevent one case of death. This might result in overwhelming economic effects that are expected to increase future death toll”

”For example, the data…shows a decrease in infection rates after countries eased...lockdowns with >99% statistical significance. Indeed...infection rates have declined after reopening even after allowing for an appropriate measurement lag.

This means that the pandemic and COVID-19 likely have its own dynamics unrelated to often inconsistent lockdown measures that were being implemented.”

”Comparing weekly mortality in 24 European countries, the findings in this paper suggest that more severe lockdown policies have not been associated with lower mortality. In other words, the lockdowns have not worked as intended”

(edited)
15 minutes ago, billvon said:

Stupid lefties are STILL screwing up propagation of the virus!  New infections still trending down.  Next thing you know, stupid lefty schools and businesses will reopen.  Brent is going to HATE that.

Replace “bear patrol” with lockdowns and “bear” with virus.

https://youtu.be/EiUcY4dECqA

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

there’s nothing we can do to change the trajectory of the pandemic in the next several months.”

He's correct.  It's painfully obvious my fellow Americans lack the intestinal fortitude to do what is necessary to reduce the spread.  And now that the UK variant is here, it'll only get worse.  

Ultimately brought to you by Trump's mismanagement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Somebody needs to tell Biden that we can stop COVID with lockdowns because he said 

“there’s nothing we can do to change the trajectory of the pandemic in the next several months.”

Except there is a very easy way to change the trajectory. Finish the vaccination program. Step up the efforts and get this done quicker. If everyone got vaccinated over the next several months, the trajectory would be a complete 180. Even if only 50% of the USA got vaccinated in the next few months, that by itself would drastically reduce the number of cases. I mean, at worse it would be half of whatever it would be if no one was vaccinated.

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

Except there is a very easy way to change the trajectory. Finish the vaccination program. Step up the efforts and get this done quicker. If everyone got vaccinated over the next several months, the trajectory would be a complete 180. Even if only 50% of the USA got vaccinated in the next few months, that by itself would drastically reduce the number of cases. I mean, at worse it would be half of whatever it would be if no one was vaccinated.

Ummmm.....Excellent. I believe that is the exact plan. And pretty much the exact trajectory predicted.

(edited)
1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Excellent. I believe that is the exact plan. And pretty much the exact trajectory predicted.

Well it doesent sound like that is the exact plan when he says nothing can be done to change anything for several months. We could change the trajectory of the pandemic starting today with the correct actions. For example, with universal masking, proper social distancing and closure of businesses that very clearly cause the virus to spread on a rampage (e.g. clubs, bars, large events ect), we could start seeing measurable impact in under two weeks. We dont have to wait several months for that...

Edited by Westerly

3 hours ago, Westerly said:

Except there is a very easy way to change the trajectory. Finish the vaccination program. Step up the efforts and get this done quicker. If everyone got vaccinated over the next several months, the trajectory would be a complete 180. 

If you do all that - infection rates will go up?

11 hours ago, Westerly said:

i believe that he may be referring to the fact that without more vaccines, we can't really vaccinate more folks.  he may not be, but it sounds right.  pretty sure we are limited now to what the last admin did, or didn't do, properly to get more vaccines here.  i haven't been keeping up this week though  so things could have changed.

12 hours ago, tonyhays said:

He's correct.  It's painfully obvious my fellow Americans lack the intestinal fortitude to do what is necessary to reduce the spread.  And now that the UK variant is here, it'll only get worse.  

Ultimately brought to you by Trump's mismanagement.

Apparently Gavin Newsom has developed the California variant, but not to worry Biden is in office and now everything is going to be great.

30 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

i believe that he may be referring to the fact that without more vaccines, ...  pretty sure we are limited now to what the last admin did, or didn't do, properly to get more vaccines here.  ...

trump had the opportunity to buy 500 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine for delivery in the second quarter of 2021.Which would have been enough to complete the second vaccinations of every single American.Given the doses of vaccines already purchased. He was too busy getting ready for the election and golfing so he failed to do so. Instead Canada and EU countries bought them up. trump had "multiple offers" for the additional vaccines.

Needless to say the trump death clock will run until every American receives their last dose.