Icemann

Does the A-License Package at Perris include gear rentals after the 7 AFF jumps?

:S Hey guys! I'm currently planning on going to Perris this June for 1-2 weeks on my 18th birthday and hopefully getting my A-License before departing for the summer trip so that I won't end up doing recurrency jumps which could be costly. But when calculating the total cost, I somehow glanced over a line on the page bottom that states "‘A’ license package does not include gear rentals after AFF jumps."

So does it mean that I have to pay gear rental fees for the remaining 27 jumps (5 coached, 11 solo, 1 hop&pop)? That would really mess up my plan since it's almost $400-$600 over my original budget at $64.5 per day of gear renting fee. My budget is around 3.1K with 2.6k for the package, 300 for expenses during my stay, and the rest for necessary item purchase.

And by the way when would it be appropriate to purchase my first rig? Any advice would be appreciated!

Blue skies :)

Icemann

:S Hey guys! I'm currently planning on going to Perris this June for 1-2 weeks on my 18th birthday and hopefully getting my A-License before departing for the summer trip so that I won't end up doing recurrency jumps which could be costly. But when calculating the total cost, I somehow glanced over a line on the page bottom that states "‘A’ license package does not include gear rentals after AFF jumps."

So does it mean that I have to pay gear rental fees for the remaining 27 jumps (5 coached, 11 solo, 1 hop&pop)? That would really mess up my plan since it's almost $400-$600 over my original budget at $64.5 per day of gear renting fee. My budget is around 3.1K with 2.6k for the package, 300 for expenses during my stay, and the rest for necessary item purchase.

And by the way when would it be appropriate to purchase my first rig? Any advice would be appreciated!

Blue skies :)

Yes.
Not sure where you read that it's 27 jumps AFTER AFF though.
A license requirement is 25 jumps minimum. Most people get all their requirements signed off in time for their 25th jump (total, that includes AFF), it could be a couple more, but that's generally the standard. I don't see why you'd need 34 jumps total (27+ 7 AFF?).
Theoretically there is no maximum number, so for example if you can't pass a certain level, it could take you 100 jumps to get your A-License, but that 34 number is just as arbitrary.

Also, in your count, it's two hop and pops, one from 5500, one from 3500, they are counted as coached jumps though.
There is not a minimum set of solos you need to do, I think most people only do a couple of them, certainly not 11, I mean, you *can* I don't think that would be useful, probably more harm than good if you get bad habit that early.

As for the first rig, talk with it with your instructors but generally speaking, there is no point in looking for one before getting your license (again, some people have done that, but it's not the "standard" way to go at it, whatever that means).

Hope this helps.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Icemann

:S

Welcome to skydiving ..... ;)
Life is short ... jump often.

I got my first rig on jump 15 or so.
This saved me money on my A-license as I no longer needed to rent.
My container held a 230 and allowed downsizing to a 190.

I bought the rig in January 2016 and did so cause it was a good deal and good fit (hard for 6'6" ~ 210lbs person).

In regard to your budget, leave some room in case you need to repeat a jump or two.
I ended up doing Cat C. about 3 times...

If you want to save money, study the SIM and dry-practice at home (a lot). Get an app with a virtual altimeter and go through the dive, over and over again, then some more.
Develop the habit for the CoA.

Budget a lot of beer at teh DZ, to make sure they all love you and help you learn packing...

fanya

I feel there is a specific place you could call or email that would have all the answers an internet message board might not have...

I did call earlier ;) but all I remembered to ask was whether if it's possible to finish AFF within that timeframe... I will call again this weekend.

Anachronist

Spend 15 min in a tunnel and tell them you are going to do AFF, that will pretty much solve your repeating jumps problem, and help you learn more quickly. Also, make sure you have some extra cash budgeted.

Thanks for the advice man! I thought wind tunnel might be a waste of money since it almost equals to 15 jump tickets. but now I reckon it's better to not gamble my chances on AFF levels.:P

Icemann

Thanks for the advice man! I thought wind tunnel might be a waste of money since it almost equals to 15 jump tickets. but now I reckon it's better to not gamble my chances on AFF levels.:P

I've always wondered why people think that. If you're working on skills you'll use for the rest of your skydiving career, why would it be a waste? It's not like you have nothing to show for it -- time in the tunnel will help you fly better, and it'll be fun. Seems like a win-win to me.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

https://houston.skydivespaceland.com/learn-to-skydive/a-license-in-a-week/

Don't know if you have seen this. 18 jumps with an instructor, including video and gear, plus 5 solos including gear. That gets you to 23 jumps! (They are assuming you have done two tandems to get you to 25 for your A-License.) $2400.00

Plus free lodging in the bunkhouse depending upon availability.

Yes I've seen this! I would really have went for Spaceland if time allowed. But living in SoCal, considering the flights and other travel expenses it would easily exceed the amount needed to get my license at Perris or Elsinore. Will definitely visit TX sometime in the future though! Lone Star State is the best.