1 1
Phil1111

The Second Impeachment of trump

"Washington — The Senate voted to move forward with former President Donald Trump's impeachment trial on Tuesday, with a majority of senators determining they have jurisdiction to place former presidents on trial in cases of impeachment.

By a vote of 56 to 44, the Senate rejected arguments by Mr. Trump's attorneys, who asserted that holding an impeachment trial of a former president is unconstitutional."

If Republicans held the majority in the Senate it is likely they would have voted that impeachment trial of a former president is unconstitutional. 

I think that is a decision that should be decided by the Supreme Court.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Since the Trump card is anything that is declared as such after being presented in this "game", it'll be interesting to see how significant it is.

I believe the next Trump card is March 4th when he will be sworn in.  When it doesn't happen, Qanon adherents across the country will explain that it's March 4th in 2022, or perhaps March 4th in Japan which is really March 5th here, or perhaps March 4th by the United States Patriot calendar, not the lying liberal mainstream calendar.

Or, for those who need the intrigue:

March 4 >> abort >> RTLS
Airspace cleared for return
Actors notified for departure
Patriots prepare

Well, apparently 15 Senators had 'better things to do' than listen to the testimony yesterday.
If this was a real trial, they'd be in a lot of trouble. I'd love to see them barred from voting when it's time.

"If you weren't present to hear the arguments, how can you render a fair & just verdict? If you can't bother to be present during the trial portion, you don't get to be present for the voting portion."

No, it's not going to happen. But it would be cool if it could.

The "no jurisdiction excuse" is free license for a losing president to do absolutely anything in the lame duck session to hold on to power.  Even worse, if the Senate is controlled by the same party as the outgoing president belongs to they can simply refuse to schedule the trial and allow an impeachment to "expire" without being addressed.  This is of course what Moscow Mitch did.  No doubt if the outgoing President was a Democrat they would have managed to get the trial done, just as they got Barrett confirmed to the supreme court after arguing a year was too rushed for Garland (among other excuses).  The Republican Party has truly shown themselves to be the American Fascist Party, determined to hang on to power at the cost of American democracy.  The next time we elect a Republican Senate and a Republican to the White House there will never need to be another legitimate election, as this batch of fascist hypocrites had laid out a road map to establishing a dictatorship.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

The "no jurisdiction excuse" is free license for a losing president to do absolutely anything in the lame duck session to hold on to power.  Even worse, if the Senate is controlled by the same party as the outgoing president belongs to they can simply refuse to schedule the trial and allow an impeachment to "expire" without being addressed.  This is of course what Moscow Mitch did.  No doubt if the outgoing President was a Democrat they would have managed to get the trial done, just as they got Barrett confirmed to the supreme court after arguing a year was too rushed for Garland (among other excuses).  The Republican Party has truly shown themselves to be the American Fascist Party, determined to hang on to power at the cost of American democracy.  The next time we elect a Republican Senate and a Republican to the White House there will never need to be another legitimate election, as this batch of fascist hypocrites had laid out a road map to establishing a dictatorship.

And now the spineless asses have backed off on calling witnesses. Well, at least they got gosh darn mad in defense of the Republic. Maybe to save time Schumer should just ask McConnell who he wants next on the Supreme Court.

3 minutes ago, tonyhays said:

So a moral victory?  As headoverheels said time to strike impeachment from the constitution.  For that matter might as well shred the entire document

I don't think there are any victors in this saga. Except a small victory for Trump and his followers. They will now be able to fight on.

50 minutes ago, tonyhays said:

So a moral victory?  As headoverheels said time to strike impeachment from the constitution.  For that matter might as well shred the entire document

We suck. We are weak kneed and scared of our shadows. We are unable to stand up to bullies and risk what may follow. Tonight I'm thinking just fuck it all. Tonight I'm thinking we could have 99 Democrats in the Senate and we'd still be asking for permission. We deserve what follows.

3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

We suck. We are weak kneed and scared of our shadows. We are unable to stand up to bullies and risk what may follow. Tonight I'm thinking just fuck it all. Tonight I'm thinking we could have 99 Democrats in the Senate and we'd still be asking for permission. We deserve what follows.

Have a couple glasses of that craft beer. trump is out and the lasting damage to the GOP party makes this a Pyrrhic victory. trump has Georgia prosecutor opens criminal investigation into Trump's "attempts to influence" election

In addition to at least a dozen other investigations. The covid crisis is slowing and adults run the WH at least.

9 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Have a couple glasses of that craft beer. trump is out and the lasting damage to the GOP party makes this a Pyrrhic victory. trump has Georgia prosecutor opens criminal investigation into Trump's "attempts to influence" election

In addition to at least a dozen other investigations. The covid crisis is slowing and adults run the WH at least.

If the D's get strong and go the 9/11 Commission route to get to the bottom of Jan 6 making everyone talk then I'll be happy. Otherwise, I'm gonna sulk.

6 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

And today Moscow Mitch is getting what he deserves for his cowardice.

https://us.cnn.com/2021/02/16/politics/trump-mcconnell/index.html

Hi Ken,

When today comes to an end, Mitch will be in office & Trump will not be.  Also, I know of no potential lawsuits against Mitch.

Guess who wins?

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Not that I like much about two-faced Mitch, though.  Someone should tell Trump that sometimes reality sucks.

35 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

When today comes to an end, Mitch will be in office & Trump will not be.  Also, I know of no potential lawsuits against Mitch.

Guess who wins?

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Not that I like much about two-faced Mitch, though.  Someone should tell Trump that sometimes reality sucks.

Well, the Trumpettes are going to turn on him.

It's not entirely impossible to think that he will face a primary opponent, one supported by Trump and the rest of the extremists.

Also not out of the question that he'd lose to that extremist. Think about Greene from GA. 
Whether or not the extremist would win the general election is a good question. 

But it's clear that Trump is trying to destroy the Rs who haven't backed him. Or those who criticize him. 
I don't think he understands that splintering the Rs is not in their best interest. 

Or he just doesn't care.

29 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

It's not entirely impossible to think that he will face a primary opponent, one supported by Trump and the rest of the extremists.

He was just re-elected and is not planning on running again in 6 years. He is now 78 years old and has had health problems. But there could be a move to unseat him as the R leader in the senate. That is where the real battle could come, and he may or may not survive it. That fight would probably happen after the mid-terms especially if Trump backed candidates do well.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

But it's clear that Trump is trying to destroy the Rs who haven't backed him. Or those who criticize him. 
I don't think he understands that splintering the Rs is not in their best interest. 

Or he just doesn't care.

That would require Trump to plan more than 24 hours into the future. And we have seen that is beyond his mental capabilities.