cstewart20

Health/Life Insurance for American Skydivers in the US

So I'm relatively new to the sport and just came back to the US from New Zealand. I'm going to be jumping a lot pretty soon and am searching for a health and life insurance plan that covers skydiving injuries and fatalities. I was wondering what other Americans jumping in the US have since a lot of the plans I've found online have been for Americans travelling outside the US. Im 26 and just started looking for my own insurance plan so I'm kind of clueless when it comes to these things.

Best thing I ever heard in the LZ said to EMT's:
"If you want to get paid, I fell off a ladder".

I have health insurance through work, provided by UHC, no exclusions.
I have life insurance from Met Life, no exclusions.

So far, no injuries nor death. So far as I know.

normiss

Best thing I ever heard in the LZ said to EMT's:
"If you want to get paid, I fell off a ladder".

I have health insurance through work, provided by UHC, no exclusions.
I have life insurance from Met Life, no exclusions.

So far, no injuries nor death. So far as I know.

Can you pm me the details of your life insurance? I've tried but it is insanely expensive.

I am a financial planner and sell a lot of life insurance. I bought all my insurance before I started skydiving so I'm covered if I die skydiving. I recently helped my ex girlfriend who is a skydiver get life insurance so I'm pretty familiar with what's out there. You basically have 2 choices....there are multiple companies that will cover skydiving but they will rate you very high. Basically you will pay a lot of money for the coverage (like 6-7x what a normal price would be....it gets super expensive). There are 2 companies that will offer to let you exclude skydiving. So you can get a normal priced policy but skydiving won't be covered. That's the route I encouraged her to go. It was either Prudential or Principal. I can't remember which one off the top of my head.
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

Anachronist- Part of it depends on how many jumps per year you do. I'm legally not allowed to talk business on other forums besides my work email but feel free to email me at [email protected] and I can try to help you. Like I said, I recently did just help my ex get life insurance at normal rates with a skydiving exclusion. I'm an independent broker and being that I'm a skydiver, if anyone could help find you something it would probably be me.
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

jeffrey27rj

Anachronist- Part of it depends on how many jumps per year you do. I'm legally not allowed to talk business on other forums besides my work email but feel free to email me at [email protected] and I can try to help you. Like I said, I recently did just help my ex get life insurance at normal rates with a skydiving exclusion. I'm an independent broker and being that I'm a skydiver, if anyone could help find you something it would probably be me.

Email sent thanks.

tkhayes

I do not know of any health insurance that asks for the details of your recreational activities in the USA.

Life insurance yes, travel insurance, yes.

freedom life asked me about "high risk activities" and specifically asked about skydiving. I was originally denied coverage but my insurance agent convinced them otherwise

I had to look into this for a client. Jeffrey gave you the main thrust of the life insurance issue. I just wanted to add in that some companies don't rate you (this means move your category from say preferred to standard), but they add a flat charge per thousand dollars of insurance.

For instance, Prudential charges an additional $5 or so per $1,000 of coverage, but you can have all the way up to preferred best as your rating category. On a $500,000 policy that might have cost you $500 (depending on age/health), you would instead be paying $3,000.

If life insurance is your main concern, you should give up skydiving from just before you apply until two years after the policy is issued. After two years, you can jump all you want and the contract has become incontestable at that point. However, do not lie about it as someone mentioned. The entire contract could be invalidated, leaving you with just a return of the premiums paid if you die skydiving.

If you have additional questions, feel free to PM me.