1 1
ryoder

Charges coming in Flint MI water scandal

1 minute ago, kallend said:

The sky is turning black with chickens coming home to roost for Republicans right now.

Who'd a thunk it! Whites charged for crimes against Blacks. White politicians at that!

Cue Greenwood's God Bless the USA. Evangelicals must be cowering in their churches. Glancing at each other in horror. Wondering how it all went so wrong.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:55 PM, ryoder said:

Michigan plans to charge ex-Gov. Snyder in Flint water probe

https://apnews.com/article/Flint-lead-water-crisis-gov-rick-snyder-801ba227340f0ac2e10e37a06a82f08d

It's about time!

I agree, it is about time. This was a crime against humanity, and the damage it caused will be borne by some of our most disadvantaged citizens for the rest of their life. Young children carry the scars of lead poisoning for life. 

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

If the Democrats running the city could have managed their own affairs this never would have happened.

Republican Attorney General from 2003 to 2019.

The Flint water crisis is an ongoing public health crisis that started in 2014, after the drinking water source for the city of Flint, Michigan, was contaminated with lead.[1] In April 2014, Flint changed its water source from treated Detroit Water and Sewerage Department water (sourced from Lake Huron and the Detroit River) to the Flint River.

The city switched back to the Detroit water system on October 16, 2015.

Has a fact ever mattered to you in your life?

(edited)
56 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Republican Attorney General from 2003 to 2019.

The Flint water crisis is an ongoing public health crisis that started in 2014, after the drinking water source for the city of Flint, Michigan, was contaminated with lead.[1] In April 2014, Flint changed its water source from treated Detroit Water and Sewerage Department water (sourced from Lake Huron and the Detroit River) to the Flint River.

The city switched back to the Detroit water system on October 16, 2015.

Has a fact ever mattered to you in your life?

If the Democrats ran Flint responsibly, they wouldn’t have to have had an emergency manager appointed by the governor, and their destiny would have been in their own hands.

Edited by brenthutch

33 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If the Democrats ran Flint responsibly, they wouldn’t have to have had an emergency manager appointed by the governor, and their destiny would have been in their own hands.

So a good guy with polluted water could have prevented this?

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

If the Democrats running the city could have managed their own affairs this never would have happened.

Well, heck, if the Republicans running the country had managed their own affairs better 9/11 would never have happened.  But it did.  I think that one was a little worse, no?

43 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

So if your car breaks down, then you call a mechanic to fix it, and while doing it he sets the car on fire, it's your fault?

(edited)
1 hour ago, billvon said:

Well, heck, if the Republicans running the country had managed their own affairs better 9/11 would never have happened.  But it did.  I think that one was a little worse, no?

I’m glad you brought that up, it is a very good analogy.  Democrats screw things up (Flint’s finances and Clinton’s inability to properly respond to the USS Cole bombing)  and Republicans are left with a no win situation. They clean up the mess and take the blame. On the other hand, Reagan and to a lesser extent HW Bush won the Cold War, and it was Clinton who cashed in on the Peace Dividend.

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

So if your car breaks down, then you call a mechanic to fix it, and while doing it he sets the car on fire, it's your fault?

If you run your car while ignoring the check engine light until it explodes, and the mechanic puts in the wrong oil in the rebuild engine?  Than yes it is partially (some would say entirely) your fault.

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If you run your car while ignoring the check engine light until it explodes, and the mechanic puts in the wrong oil in the rebuild engine?  Than yes it is partially (some would say entirely) your fault.

The car breaking down initially would be your fault.

But the mechanic putting the wrong oil in the rebuild engine would be entirely the mechanic's fault.

The mental gymnastics you do is getting really predictable.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, olofscience said:

The car breaking down initially would be your fault.

But the mechanic putting the wrong oil in the rebuild engine would be entirely the mechanic's fault.

The mental gymnastics you do is getting really predictable.

Original sin.  As I said if the Democrats could run their own affairs/address the check engine light, the governor would have never entered the picture 

Edited by brenthutch

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Original sin

And it's really your inability to separate the consequences of actions. In my example:

1) you don't maintain your car and it breaks down - yep it's broken, but it has residual value of say, $300

2) mechanic sets it on fire - you don't have a car any more. Residual value: $0

The mechanic is responsible for destruction of $300.

2 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Nobody needs to take responsibility for anything then, blame it all on dead men.

The responsibility lies with those responsible.  If you want to blame Snyder then you would have to blame Obama as well, as it was his EPA that was asleep at the wheel and allowed thousands of citizens to be poisoned.

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The responsibility lies with those responsible.  If you want to blame Snyder then you would have to blame Obama as well, as it was his EPA that was asleep at the wheel and allowed thousands of citizens to be poisoned.

Did you not understand my point about separation of responsibility?

I'm not sure I'm getting through.

It's all a muddled mess in your head, but it's very convenient as it allows the mental gymnastics to avoid responsibility or smear it around.

32 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Did you not understand my point about separation of responsibility?

I'm not sure I'm getting through.

It's all a muddled mess in your head, but it's very convenient as it allows the mental gymnastics to avoid responsibility or smear it around.

Hi olof,

Re:  'I'm not sure I'm getting through.'

Did you really think that you would?

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

(edited)
38 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

So Governor Snyder’s inability to predict the consequences of the variability of PH in differing water sources should result in criminal charges?

I think it's his inability to respond to the issues when they came up that's being contested here. Not inability to predict, but inability to respond.

That's probably putting it lightly - the charge is officially "willful neglect".

Willful - meaning intentional.

Neglect - wait why am I still explaining this to you, how old are you again?

Edited by olofscience

9 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I think it's his inability to respond to the issues when they came up that's being contested here. Not inability to predict, but inability to respond.

That's probably putting it lightly - the charge is officially "willful neglect".

I pointed this out a while ago, it's a consequence of how he lives. I'm certain that everyone he allows around him is mostly agreeable, or non confrontational, with his views. Brent is a strong personality whose technique is obvious in his posts: get in your face, argue that you aren't aware, and then call it over. To wit: "thanks for playing." He's not a troll, he's damn smart and simply quite used to winning. We are simply amusements for him.

33 minutes ago, olofscience said:

December 14, 2015 Mayor declares emergency 

January 4, 2016 County declares emergency

January 5, 2016 Governor Snyder declares emergency 

January 12, 2016 Governor Snyder calls out National Guard to assist 

January 12, 2016 President Obama declares emergency

I’m missing the “willfully negligent” part.