1 1
skyrick

Thoughts on Aerodyne ZPX and Ultra LPV

I'm getting ready to resurrect this coming summer (Bless me Father for I have sinned. It has been 11 years since I have had my knees in the breeze!) and am looking at an Aerodyne Pilot. I'm 220 in skivvies, probably closer to 240-250 exit weight, and 67 years old. I need a Volvo station wagon, not a Maserati canopy. Looking at either a Pilot 230 or Pilot7 247. I'd like to keep the PV down if I can. Any thoughts or observations as to durability (primarily), ease of packing, or other thoughts on canopies made from these materials versus standard ZP? Thanks in advance.

30 minutes ago, skyrick said:

I'm getting ready to resurrect this coming summer (Bless me Father for I have sinned. It has been 11 years since I have had my knees in the breeze!) and am looking at an Aerodyne Pilot. I'm 220 in skivvies, probably closer to 240-250 exit weight, and 67 years old. I need a Volvo station wagon, not a Maserati canopy. Looking at either a Pilot 230 or Pilot7 247. I'd like to keep the PV down if I can. Any thoughts or observations as to durability (primarily), ease of packing, or other thoughts on canopies made from these materials versus standard ZP? Thanks in advance.

Seven to eight dollars takes care of the packing problem. *smile*

My husband has a Pilot 132 ZPX that has about a thousand jumps on it and you couldn't tell by looking at it. Take care of it and the canopy will last a long time. For example, if you land off in a cotton field don't yank the canopy out of the briars, don't lay down on the canopy with a sweaty body while packing, etc. I've packed large new ZPX student canopies and it's so much nicer than packing regular ZP.

2 hours ago, sedsquare said:

Take care of it and the canopy will last a long time. For example, ... don't lay down on the canopy with a sweaty body while packing, etc.

Don't lay on it with a sweaty body?! That's the only way I know how to pack on a summer's day in Texas!! Seriously though, thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

(edited)

If I recall right, the ZPX canopy is a different brand of ZP that just packs slightly smaller. It still packs similar to ZP, just a tad smaller. The ULPV is a ZPX top skin with what I 'think' is probably the Smart LPV material (0-3 CFM low prosperity fabric line PN-9) on the bottom skin and on the ribs. Aerodyne could probably provide further details.

Both options will likely hold up for a long time. There are a few canopies on the market that are 100% 0-3 CFM material like the Epicene and Horizon and those canopies are still fine after 1000 jumps. The ULPV canopy will be easier to pack due to less slippery ZP.

Edited by 20kN
  • Like 1