iranianjumper

pilot chute folding for IAD jump

Fold an IAD pilot-chute pretty much the same way as you would for freefall, just leave the bridle outside of the fabric.

In other news, I always wrap two or three fingers around the pilot-chute adn the rest of my fingers around the lower lateral strap on the student's harness. This allows me to sense and control them while I am checking the spot, etc.

The other major point - of IAD - is always releasing the pilot-chute well below the horizontal tail of your airplane. With Cessnas, the simplest way to develop the habit of tossing the pilot-chute below the door sill ... every time.

• Like 2

(edited)
On 1/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, iranianjumper said:

Any IAD instructors can help me by providing and sending a video about how to fold pilot chute in IAD jump ?

send me an email address and I will shoot a video for you. I used to do it one way that Jay Stokes Taught me, after doing evals with Mike Wadkins he taught us a different and in my opinion better and safer way. you can email me at [email protected] juat a note to say hello and thay will giive me your address to send the video.

Blue Skies my friend

Edited by weldingninja41
typos
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, weldingninja41 said:

send me an email address and I will shoot a video for you. I used to do it one way that Jay Stokes Taught me, after doing evals with Mike Wadkins he taught us a different and in my opinion better and safer way. you can email me at [email protected] juat a note to say hello and thay will giive me your address to send the video.

Any chance you could post the video here so the rest of us could see it as well?

Thanks!

On 3/4/2021 at 11:34 AM, weldingninja41 said:

i can make the video and ill post it on YouTube 3 and send the link. That way it'll be searchable for others also. ill get it done this weekend

Not putting any pressure, just reviving the thread in case you forgot :)

Thanks!

Yes, Jay Stokes reminded us of his IAD pilot-chute folding technique during a USPA IAD and S/L standardization meeting immediately following the 2023 PIA Symposium in Reno.

We also watched a bunch of videos of good, bad and ugly IAD dispatch methods. One thing most of us agreed on was the importance of a minimum of exposed bridle. My preferred method is to wrap 2 fingers around the pilot-chute and 2 more fingers around the horizontal strap on the student's harness. That allows me to control student movement while checking the spot, chatting with the pilot, etc. Then I use that harness grip to assist the student in climbing out.

Other IAD J/Ms use a variation by grabbing both the student's pilot-chute and shoulder yoke with the same hand. This works well as long as the J/M remembers to "place" the pilot-chute low, Preferably at door sill level to prevent an entanglement with the airplane tail.

Finally, we discussed various methods of minimizing the number of loose pilot-chutes - in the airplane cabin - before the door opens. A few mentioned stuffing the pilot-chute down the front of the student's shirt. I have mixed emotions about this method.

A better method is to wrap a rubber-band around the chest-strap buckle and use that to control the pilot-chute while the instructor is busy with other duties.

The best method - that I have used - is to sew an extra Spandex pouch (like a BOC) onto the left side of the container. Teach IAD school packers to pack all of the pilot-chutes into the side pouch. Then we teach freefall students how to repack the pilot-chute into the BOC.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, riggerrob said:

F

The other major point - of IAD - is always releasing the pilot-chute well below the horizontal tail of your airplane. With Cessnas, the simplest way to develop the habit of tossing the pilot-chute below the door sill ... every time.

I beg to differ Rob...and no disrespect, I value your wisdom and experience above all on here....but!

It's not where you place the pilot chute that counts but when you release the pilot chute...after the student is well clear of the A/C ...pilot chute will be directly behind the pin in the relative air flow. So a well placed pilot chute released when the student in still hanging around wont work, but after the student falls 6 feet below the tail...you can through pilot chute at the pilot if you like.  it ends up in the same place...and attempting to through pilot chute is futile....just lean way out...place the baby low and don't let go until the student well clear.

Again no disrespect intended....love mike...want to buy my lopo 26?.

• Like 2

Dear Mike,

Glad to hear that CSPA has learned a thing or two about IAD since the last time I dropped IAD students (2010). Sadly, USPA is still trying to "re-invent the wheel" a "wheel" that was invented in Georgia circa 1976.

The last time I jumped a 26' LoPo, I missed the country and landed in France!

That was back in 1986.

On 9/2/2023 at 6:09 PM, mikeat10500 said:

Ever see them do AFF one on ones?  Wrong side...fun too watch...fighting over the pilot chute.

Funny!

For as long as I can remember, CSPA has taught PFF instructors to always hang onto the right side of the student during exit - when doing one-on-one jumps. The exit can be a bit awkward from Cessnas until you learn how to lay your right elbow on the wing strut. On larger airplanes, I ways always most comfortable in the rear floater position when doing accompanied freefall jumps (AFF or PFF).

• Like 1