1 1
Westerly

300,000 new cases yesterday!

We finally did it. 300,500 new Covid infections yesterday. Broke the record. Are we going to make 400k a day? How many deaths we going to get up to? My guess is 5000 a day. Basically like the first 10 years of the war in Iraq all combined into one day, but everyday.

Imagine if Covid was a terrorist doing all the killing. We would have solved this problem about 364 days ago. But since we cant see it, no one seems to care.

Edited by Westerly

People around here (Canton, OH) have basically thrown in the towel.  While they are still wearing masks in the stores and such I drove by several franchised restaurants (think Longhorn) yesterday evening and the parking lots were packed.  That $600 will get you a few ribeyes.

14 hours ago, airdvr said:

I know more people personally who recovered than died.

The problem isn't whether (or how) the virus will affect that person.  It's how it will affect the person to whom they end up transmitting it.  Most of the people who developed COVID after Sturgis weren't the ones who attended the rally, but their family members back home who were infected by those who didn't realize they brought it home with them.  Holiday gatherings were discouraged not because people were sick, but because they could still bring the virus to their family members who may or may not get sick, but who would also at least pass it to others.  Some of those people are going to die.  Many more are going to get sick, which also usually means some degree of lasting health effects if they recover.

This isn't about us protecting ourselves.  It's about protecting each other.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TriGirl said:

The problem isn't whether (or how) the virus will affect that person.  It's how it will affect the person to whom they end up transmitting it.  Most of the people who developed COVID after Sturgis weren't the ones who attended the rally, but their family members back home who were infected by those who didn't realize they brought it home with them.  Holiday gatherings were discouraged not because people were sick, but because they could still bring the virus to their family members who may or may not get sick, but who would also at least pass it to others.  Some of those people are going to die.  Many more are going to get sick, which also usually means some degree of lasting health effects if they recover.

I get that.  I'm just stating my observations.

7 hours ago, TriGirl said:

... It's how it will affect the person to whom they end up transmitting it....

This and its commonly called social responsibility. A core value of every good citizen.

3 hours ago, kallend said:

A concept that is incomprehensible to the current president and his base.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I get that.  I'm just stating my observations.

Yes and by pointing that out you inherently know its irresponsible. Thanks.

I personally felt like I had opened at 1600' by going to McDonalds last week for take-out.

Look, we all just need to get over this. If you cannot handle the virus, then you need to stay secluded from society. It has been too long already and this isn't going away so lets just move on. Anyway this is how we will evolve as a species. Those that can't handle it will die out and the rest of us will become stronger as a result. It really saddens me to look at a herd of gazelles and see them all lean, healthy and vibrant. Then I look at a herd of humans walking down the average city street or browsing on a dating app....

29 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

It really saddens me to look at a herd of gazelles and see them all lean, healthy and vibrant. Then I look at a herd of humans walking down the average city street or browsing on a dating app....

What do you suppose the average lifespan of those sleek animals is?

(edited)
2 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Look, we all just need to get over this. If you cannot handle the virus, then you need to stay secluded from society. It has been too long already and this isn't going away so lets just move on. Anyway this is how we will evolve as a species. Those that can't handle it will die out and the rest of us will become stronger as a result. It really saddens me to look at a herd of gazelles and see them all lean, healthy and vibrant. Then I look at a herd of humans walking down the average city street or browsing on a dating app....

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

What do you suppose the average lifespan of those sleek animals is?

Somehow the evolution of humans, of human society and why its the dominant species. Is beyond the comprehension of some. They would choose to live in a jungle where the strongest feed the weakest to nature. In the 1930's someone else had the ideals of blonde hair, blue eyes, etc. as the perfect specimen.

Edited by Phil1111

48 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Everybody just “getting over this” is a bullshit argument that ignores the realities of the world and of COVID-19. 

How many elderly people do you think should die in the name of us being able to move on?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Those that can't handle it will die out and the rest of us will become stronger as a result. It really saddens me to look at a herd of gazelles and see them all lean, healthy and vibrant.

Yeah because the only ones who contribute to our society are physically strong and healthy.

None of that "information age" "knowledge economy" bullshit. By this standard, Stephen Hawking was a useless burden on our society because he couldn't throw a spear, carry firewood, or hunt deer.

Albert Einstein? Those nerds at NASA? Who needs them, right? /s

Sorry, but this argument just needs to be taken behind the barn and shot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

"Just let them die" has not been part of our approach to society since . . . for as long as we have had societies.  That's a good thing IMO.  We protect the weaker members of our society (pregnant women, children, older relatives etc) because that's the right thing to do.

Ordinarily I would say "you do you" and take any risks you want.  But risks that you take with COVID-19 kill other people - so that doesn't apply right now.  It's the difference between doing a demo into your own back yard and doing a demo into a packed arena.  It's OK to kill yourself - not OK to kill a few bystanders due to your incompetence or neglect.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Somehow the evolution of humans, of human society and why its the dominant specie. Is beyond the comprehension of some. They would choose to live in a jungle where the strongest feed the weakest to nature. In the 1930's someone else had the ideals of blonde hair, blue eyes, etc. as the perfect specimen.

Somehow I think (hope) that Cygnus X-1 (the first known black hole, if I recall correctly) was just updating a modest proposal.

And was your use of "specie" deliberate sarcasm?

(edited)
6 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

If you cannot handle the virus, then you need to stay secluded from society.

You seem to be under the misunderstanding that the only people who can suffer harm from the virus is old, fragile people that are living the last few lives of their life or those strapped to a hospital bed. Well here is a news flash for you. ANYONE of any age of any health can suffer serious effects of COVID. You might not die from it being young, but you can suffer long term damage that will forever reduce the quality of your life and rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in future medical bills. This isint 1 in 1000 either. This is happening regularly to a lot of people. In addition, we still dont know what the true long term effects are of the virus. For all we know 30% of covid survivors will develop heart failure in the next 10 years. Who knows. But we do know that there are long term effects, even to healthy people who were completely asymptomatic. Asymptomatic people in their 20s who had Covid are suddenly suffering from unusual health conditions that are showing up months later. This has been documented worldwide.

Here is what a bunch of CrossFit athletes found out. Think you're fitter and healthier than they are?

https://morningchalkup.com/2020/08/18/crossfit-athletes-who-had-covid-19-reveal-recovery-details/

Edited by Westerly

28 minutes ago, Westerly said:

Well here is a news flash for you. ANYONE of any age of any health can suffer serious effects of COVID. You might not die from it being young, but you can suffer long term damage that will forever reduce the quality of your life and rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in future medical bills. This isint 1 in 1000 either. This is happening regularly to a lot of people. In addition, we still dont know what the true long term effects are of the virus.

Which is why vaccinating old people first may not be the best strategy. Plays well politically and is easy to explain, but not sure it is necessarily sound policy.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Which is why vaccinating old people first may not be the best strategy. Plays well politically and is easy to explain, but not sure it is necessarily sound policy.

The main reason it makes sense to vaccinate older people first is that they currently are taking up a lot of space in hospital beds. If they are not getting sick it will relieve a lot of the strain on the health system.

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The main reason it makes sense to vaccinate older people first is that they currently are taking up a lot of space in hospital beds. If they are not getting sick it will relieve a lot of the strain on the health system.

But increasing the risk of long term effects and long term strains on the healthcare system by increasing the number of young people who will be exposed. Classic short term-gain for long term pain.

29 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

But increasing the risk of long term effects and long term strains on the healthcare system by increasing the number of young people who will be exposed. Classic short term-gain for long term pain.

That’s very true. But that’s also what you do an emergency. The short term has to come first sometimes.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Yes, sacrificing the old would help us get over the pandemic sooner.  (That's basically the same rationale as the "let everyone get infected so it's over faster" approach.)  Fortunately we don't really see that as a good option.

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

"In the long term we are all dead".  John Maynard Keynes.