1 1
kallend

TRUMP MUST GO (Reprise)

5 hours ago, base615 said:

Here's the other good thing about doing it this way. Removal from office requires a 2/3rds majority but, because disqualification is a discretional judgement, it only requires a majority vote.

https://law.justia.com/constitution/us/article-2/49-judgment-removal-and-disqualification.html

Agreed on the Harrison thing. Pence would have to live with that knowledge too whereas Harrison didn't :)

Damn! According to that, the post-term conviction could be done by just the 50 non-GOP senators plus VP Harris. I like it!

9 hours ago, Westerly said:

Well maybe the issue here is less Trump and more that people are idiots can cant separate fact from fiction? If the entire world was nothing but medical doctors, scientists and engineers, I bet many of these issues wouldn't exist.

But there would be others, like your bank account would keep disappearing and your driver's license would never get renewed.

44 minutes ago, Faicon9493 said:

Anybody remember all the righteous indignation that happened after Benghazi?

Yep.  Now we have:

Trump's mob rioting in the capital, killing five people.  One was a police officer that was beaten to death with a fire extinguisher.
Trump egging them on, along with his lawyer and his family.
Trump's defense secretary intentionally hindering the national guard's response to give rioters more opportunity to loot and vandalize

I think there were ten investigations into Benghazi - and only four people died there, and the US capital was not overrun, looted and vandalized.  I am thinking this deserves at least 15.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I am predicting that Trump will resign before Monday the 11th.

So am I to stop work on the 25th amendment? I have calls in, you know. Actually, I'm thinking we want neither at this stage. Everything is a gamble when discussing Trump and Trump voters, to be sure, but he does seem a bit neutered now. Maybe we can actually get to the 20th without him screwing up the vaccine roll out, causing some sort of insurrection or other societal rift, or something. If so, that eliminates the risk of a pardon by Pence and I just don't buy that a self pardon will float. Then, unless we act like scared kids, we'll have the bastard.

Edited by JoeWeber

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

So am I to stop work on the 25th amendment? I have calls in, you know. Actually, I'm thinking we want neither at this stage. Everything is a gamble when discussing Trump and Trump voters, to be sure, but he does seem a bit neutered now. Maybe we can actually get to the 20th without him screwing up the vaccine roll out, causing some sort of insurrection or other societal rift, or something. If so, that eliminates the risk of a pardon by Pence and I just don't buy that a self pardon will float. Then, unless we act like scared kids, we'll have the bastard.

Hi Joe,

Re:  ' I just don't buy that a self pardon will float.'

I don't buy that anyone can pardon any other person until that person been convicted of a crime.

Jerry Baumchen

WaPo: Dozens arrested after mob storms Capitol; officials vow that more will be charged

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/capitol-siege-arrests/2021/01/07/661292a2-5105-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

Now here is an odd part:

One person arrested was charged with possessing a “military style automatic weapon” and 11 molotov cocktails, prosecutors said. Another defendant was charged with assaulting a police officer with a hockey stick. Yet another, who needed a Russian interpreter, told a judge, “I don’t know what unlawful entry you are referring to.”

WTF? 

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

WaPo: Dozens arrested after mob storms Capitol; officials vow that more will be charged

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/capitol-siege-arrests/2021/01/07/661292a2-5105-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

Now here is an odd part:

One person arrested was charged with possessing a “military style automatic weapon” and 11 molotov cocktails, prosecutors said. Another defendant was charged with assaulting a police officer with a hockey stick. Yet another, who needed a Russian interpreter, told a judge, “I don’t know what unlawful entry you are referring to.”

WTF? 

What! friends of the president can't protest!.... thats UN-American.

25 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

I don't buy that anyone can pardon any other person until that person been convicted of a crime.

Jerry Baumchen

Nixon was pardoned  and wasn't even indicted

29 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Unfortunately you don't need to buy that. It's a real thing that really happens.

33 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Jerry Baumchen

I think Nixon was pardoned for anything he'd done not  just that for which he was convicted.

33 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Jerry Baumchen

6 minutes ago, lummy said:

Nixon was pardoned  and wasn't even indicted

Just now, JoeWeber said:

I think Nixon was pardoned for anything he'd done not  just that for which he was convicted.

It wasn't tested.

There wasn't any attempt to indict or try Nixon.

I've read arguments that the pardon was too broad to be legal, that it had to define what crimes were being pardoned.
I've also read arguments that the 'presumptive pardon' (before indictment and conviction) is perfectly legal.

But, again, much of this has never been tested in court. 

28 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

It wasn't tested.

There wasn't any attempt to indict or try Nixon.

I've read arguments that the pardon was too broad to be legal, that it had to define what crimes were being pardoned.
I've also read arguments that the 'presumptive pardon' (before indictment and conviction) is perfectly legal.

But, again, much of this has never been tested in court. 

Hi Joe,

Re:  'this has never been tested in court.'

This is the crux of my argument.

Jerry Baumchen

25 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Re:  'this has never been tested in court.'

This is the crux of my argument.

Jerry Baumchen

The other difference is that it was relatively clear the pardon would have related to Watergate related issues.

Trump is likely to blanket pardon himself and his family for any issues.

(edited)
8 hours ago, wmw999 said:

We need the non-doctors, scientists, engineers just as much as they need the doctors, scientists, and engineers.

What I am getting at is stupidity is the driving factor in much of what we are seeing here. Between resistance against mask wearing, insisting that the election had widespread fraud and all the other lies that are being driven. The only reason why any of these ideas get traction is becasue people are idiots and they are gullible. If the world was nothing but intelligent people, none of those notions would even make it to the back page of a local newspaper because everyone would know they are bullshit. So maybe the real issue is not that we have someone willing to spread lies, but we have so many people willing to believe those lies?

Edited by Westerly