2 2
RonD1120

History in the making

37 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

It is good to maintain your positionality in the short term for self efficacy.

I would interpret this piece of  gobbledy goop as your way of saying that like many of Trumps's fans you will ignore the evidence and cling tightly to the lies you have chosen to embrace. Because your world would become even more frightening to you if you did not.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

It is good to maintain your positionality in the short term for self efficacy.

Indeed.  An open and frank confrontation between one's illusions and chimeras, and the hard cold reality of the real world, can lead to cognitive dissonance in some people.  For such people, they can often better maintain their own equilibrium by substituting their own fictional narrative, and using that to reinterpret reality in a way that supports their worldview.  That can work - at least for a while.

On 7/2/2021 at 6:38 PM, billvon said:

But at least 500 people who were IN the mob will likely remember this day forever; they've been charged for their crimes and will likely see convictions, jail time, and fines - and when they are released, many will be felons, unable to own guns or vote for years.

And I hear getting a job as a felon is difficult. 

The more I think about this the more amusing it becomes, at least from the conceptual standpoint. Thus, I have to respond, against my better judgment, just to get it off my brain.

First, convicted felons can and do own guns. The liberal Democrats have proven that. Second, we are not real sure whether voting is still a viable option.

One thing is for certain, The conservatives had better start a campaign to register more like-minded voters and stop hoping that the registered voters show up.

And, lastly, finding a job. These individuals will not likely seek employment from someone who would hold their conviction against them. It would be a plus in the South and the Mid-west.

14 hours ago, billvon said:

Indeed.  An open and frank confrontation between one's illusions and chimeras, and the hard cold reality of the real world, can lead to cognitive dissonance in some people.  For such people, they can often better maintain their own equilibrium by substituting their own fictional narrative, and using that to reinterpret reality in a way that supports their worldview.  That can work - at least for a while.

It supports individual mental health. Sinners are usually mentally healthy.

49 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Sinners are usually mentally healthy.

Who gets to decide what sin is? I live by the laws of my society and I feel mentally healthy. Which brings up the next question. Who decides on the definition of mental health?

5 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

First, convicted felons can and do own guns. The liberal Democrats have proven that. Second, we are not real sure whether voting is still a viable option.

Depends on the crime.  Felons, in general, can never own guns again.  If the crime is expunged or set aside, or if the person is pardoned, they can regain those rights.

It is unlikely that a felon who has threatened to kill Americans, then followed through by staging a violent riot, will see those exceptions, though.  The vast majority of those felons will never own guns again.  (Or, if they try and are caught, will go to jail for a long, long time.)

One thing is for certain, The conservatives had better start a campaign to register more like-minded voters and stop hoping that the registered voters show up.

That's the right way to drive change in government.  Instead of violence, vandalism, oppression, and denial of facts, getting people to register and to vote is the best way to go about getting the changes you want.

And, lastly, finding a job. These individuals will not likely seek employment from someone who would hold their conviction against them. It would be a plus in the South and the Mid-west.

The South prefers to hire criminals over law abiding people?  Interesting.  I didn't know that.  Explains a few things.

2 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

It supports individual mental health. Sinners are usually mentally healthy.

Indeed.  Plenty of people feel healthier (for a short time at least) through denial and the creation of an alternative narrative.  A child who claims loudly that his beloved pet is just sleeping after it dies.  A woman who is fired for incompetence and sloth, and blames her firing on a government conspiracy.  A man who loses the love of his life, and within days claims she was a worthless, cheating slut that he is better off without.  A voter who insists that the election was stolen and that his candidate was actually excellent and popular and really won. 

I would suggest, however, that while such escapes may make one feel better for a while, accepting reality is important in the long run - even if it causes cognitive dissonance.

Although it has nothing to do with sin.  It has to do with acceptance of a painful reality.

4 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

The more I think about this the more amusing it becomes, at least from the conceptual standpoint. Thus, I have to respond, against my better judgment, just to get it off my brain.

Hi Ron,

Re:  we are not real sure whether voting is still a viable option.

You did not say this four years ago when your guy won.

It all comes back to who's ox is getting gored.

Jerry Baumchen

8 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Wow.

First, convicted felons SHOULDN'T own guns.
The fact that they do is a strong argument for stronger gun laws.
Not sure how the 'liberal Democrats' have anything to do with people choosing to violate gun laws.

The Republicans are engaged in a very clear and so far effective campaign to limit voting. They're making it a lot harder for a lot of people to vote.
Funny that those new laws are primarily aimed at poorer people. Minorities. City dwellers. 
And the Supreme Court has upheld the Arizona law.

The idea that an employer would find a conviction for the Jan 6th insurrection attempt to be a "plus" is abhorrent. I don't doubt that there are people in the South who support insurrectionists. They also support losers. 
Funny how all the Trump supporters that 'backed the blue' and screamed 'blue lives matter' were the same ones attacking the cops. 

8 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

I didn't realise so many in the South and Mid-West supported Antifa.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:28 AM, RonD1120 said:

...And, lastly, finding a job. These individuals will not likely seek employment from someone who would hold their conviction against them. It would be a plus in the South and the Mid-west.

An interesting point made in a different thread:

As an example, in Georgia almost any felony conviction, which could be for possession of a tiny amount of pot, or (until recently) theft of anything worth more than $50, leads automatically to a lifetime ban on qualifying for a state license for anything.  This means you can never work in nearly 80 professions state-licensed professions, including becoming a barber, cosmetologist, electrical contractor, plumber, conditioned air contractor, auctioneer, utility contractor, registered trade sanitarian, and scrap metal processor, among others

Posted be Georgia Don.

Regardless of what the boss or owner may or may not be willing to do, if the fool has a felony conviction, they can't get a professional license.

(edited)
2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

An interesting point made in a different thread:

Posted be Georgia Don.

Regardless of what the boss or owner may or may not be willing to do, if the fool has a felony conviction, they can't get a professional license.

True enough. The subject and my point was about obtaining a job not a profession. A felon is not prohibited from working for a professional. 

Don't overlook the fact that a felon's wife could obtain the necessary license if needed. That also works for background checks when legally purchasing firearms.

At least, that is what a client told me.

Edited by RonD1120

True enough. The subject and my point was about obtaining a job not a profession. A felon is not prohibited from working for a professional.

If you are satisfied to be a minion and not the boss perhaps you need a bit of an ambition upgrade.

Don't overlook the fact that a felon's wife could obtain the necessary license if needed.

If the felon was to pretend to be someone else (his or her wife in this case) in order to fraudulently claim and use a professional license, that would be identity theft and fraud, both felonies.  Just keep digging that hole deeper and deeper!

Don't overlook the fact that a felon's wife could obtain the necessary license if needed. That also works for background checks when legally purchasing firearms.

At least, that is what a client told me.

That is what is called a straw purchase.  According to the Georgia Code:

(b) Any person who is on probation as a felony first offender pursuant to Article 3 of Chapter 8 of Title 42 or who has been convicted of a felony by a court of this state or any other state; by a court of the United States including its territories, possessions, and dominions; or by a court of any foreign nation and who receives, possesses, or transports any firearm commits a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than one nor more than five years; provided, however, that if the felony as to which the person is on probation or has been previously convicted is a forcible felony, then upon conviction of receiving, possessing, or transporting a firearm, such person shall be imprisoned for a period of five years.

The purchaser has also committed a felony.

That hole just keeps getting deeper!

Your "client" is an idiot.

Don

3 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Absolutely.  There are a great many ways to break the law and get away with it.

Odd that that has become a conservative value over the past few years.

Just now, billvon said:

Odd that that has become a conservative value over the past few years.

Conservative and hypocrite have always been interchangeable terms. They are all about how important it is for other people to follow the rules.

28 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Conservative and hypocrite have always been interchangeable terms.

I don't think that's true any more than the converse.  Lately it's been somewhat more true, but IMO that's a transient effect by a cult of personality, not a characteristic inherent in the conservative movement.

28 minutes ago, billvon said:

I don't think that's true any more than the converse.  Lately it's been somewhat more true, but IMO that's a transient effect by a cult of personality, not a characteristic inherent in the conservative movement.

I'm not thinking of the "conservative movement". I am thinking of people who I know who are conservative by nature and are also very rule oriented. I have often found that these people are quick to forget the rules they expect others to follow when they find them inconvenient. I know it is anecdotal, but it is my experience.

Self-Described Virginia Militiaman Is Arrested in Capitol Breach

According to the complaint, the authorities first learned of Mr. Duong on the morning of Jan. 6 when he and a man they described as Associate 1 encountered an undercover Metropolitan Police Department officer near Freedom Plaza in Washington. Mr. Duong, 27, asked the officer whether he was a “patriot,” court papers say, and the officer said he was. When asked the same question, Mr. Duong, a Marine Corps veteran of Vietnamese and Chinese heritage, told the officer that he was an “operator,” prosecutors say.

Within a week, court papers say, the undercover police officer had introduced Mr. Duong to an undercover F.B.I. agent. 

Excellent!

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

"A man charged with participating in the Capitol insurrection, Fi Duong, allegedly told an undercover FBI agent that he'd dressed up on Jan. 6 to look like antifa and had been trying to start his own militia-type group"

And how did he know what Antifa looked like? He was antifa, pretending to be a militiaman pretending to be antifa. It's the classic triple cross, sheeple!

34 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Can you begin to understand the boiling undercurrent of anger in our nation?

Sure.  People like you have created and stoked that hatred as hard as you can.  This is the result.

So  . . . congratulations?  I guess?

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

Can you begin to understand the boiling undercurrent of anger in our nation? Half of this country is willing to go to war against the other half. 

How long Lord, how long?

No, less than half. And they’d be fighting family members and friends; they’re also fighting fellow Americans. 
Maybe they could call it the War of Conservative Aggression; Civil War is taken. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 1