2 2
RonD1120

History in the making

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

Please don't sit back and think the left doesn't hold some responsibility.

And the right begins the job of trying to blame Antifa, and Soros, and BLM, and Hillary, and scientists, and a pizza place in Washington, DC for their criminal actions.  Trumpies have already claimed that it was Antifa in disguise doing all the rioting.  To quote John Belushi:

"I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn’t have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

What a bunch of priviledged, entitled weasels.

I'd be a lot more impressed with the honesty and fortitude of some of these latecomers to the "yeah, Biden won the election" group if even one of them said "I own some of the blame for this getting so far out of hand." Not a single one of those chicken-faced politicians has done that. Lindsey Graham's speech would have been absolutely brilliant, a month ago after the Electoral College voted. Now, it's just self-serving "I'm not all bad" bullshit.

Wendy P.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lummy said:

It looks like invoking the 25th is off the table.

Secretary Chao resigning
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/07/congress-election-biden-capitol-live-updates/

IDK if your post means you think Elaine Chao has decided against being one of the secretaries to invoke the 25th. But I would think that making the resignation not effective till Monday is leaving the possibility open until then.

The official said Chao's decision to resign on Monday -- not immediately -- was done in order to give her staff time for an orderly departure and transition.
Chao discussed the matter with her staff and her husband, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, before deciding by around 11 a.m. that she would resign.

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

Please don't sit back and think the left doesn't hold some responsibility.  Think back to the 2016 election.  If the Dems hadn't believed the MSM saying there was no way Trump could beat Hillary we most likely wouldn't be where we are now.

You cannot possibly believe that you get to blame Trump's actions and the Republican party's sycophancy on the Democrats. It is an empty and self-serving viewpoint.

I mean seriously, not that Republicans have any real principles these days but if they did, shouldn't personal responsibility be one of them? Take some fucking responsibility for what you and your political fellows did. If you decide to jump off a cliff and a passerby isn't physically strong enough to stop you, your injuries are not his fault. It's all your fault.

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

Not trying to rationalize.  There is a bit of truth to it though.

You think? I wonder if I can remember to use this rationale on you every time you disagree with anything the democrats have done and see how much you agree with it then.

Gun control? Your fault. Obamacare? Your fault. Sanctuary cities? Your fault. Clinton pardoning Seth Rich? So your fault!

4 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Not laying the blame on the Dems.  They own a sliver of it.

But you are, and they don't. Not a bit of Trump's entirely predictable and predicted insanity do they own. You own it. All of it.

1 minute ago, jakee said:

You think? I wonder if I can remember to use this rationale on you every time you disagree with anything the democrats have done and see how much you agree with it then.

Gun control? Your fault. Obamacare? Your fault. Sanctuary cities? Your fault. Clinton pardoning Seth Rich? So your fault!

I like it!

"If people like you hadn't said 'just go to the ER when you are sick' we wouldn't have Obamacare."

"If people like you didn't throw kids into cages to die, we wouldn't need sanctuary cities to protect them."

"If people like you didn't burn so much gasoline we wouldn't need to pass laws to stop climate change.  This is on YOU."

(edited)

If you're on the side of invoking  the 25th, would you resign before the term is up creating more chaos , or would you stick around and be a guiding influence?
  MY opinion is if Chao is resigning now in protest of yesterday, she knows the 25th is off the table

Besides, the 25th isn't a one step process.  Trump can appeal the decision.  The cabinet needs to vote again before Pence takes the reins

Edited by lummy

3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

The sun was in my eyes and i was hung over. Thats why I went through the middle of the 100 way taking only ten people out. So it was still a great success.... Well a ninety percent success.

(edited)
1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Bullshit.

This is all on you and your side.

You backed a rabid dog. Your side enabled him for four fucking years. Now you don’t get to put ANY blame on anyone else when you get bitten, you coward.

Edited by yoink

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

So does the phase of the moon. Addressing that sliver is irrelevant, frankly, and giving it gravitas it doesn't deserve is just deflecting attention from where it belongs: people who are so invested in their previous power, and their perception of their previous power, that they're willing to attempt to take down the government as an exercise of it.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, lummy said:

If you're on the side of invoking  the 25th, would you resign before the term is up creating more chaos , or would you stick around and be a guiding influence?
  MY opinion is if Chao is resigning now in protest of yesterday, she knows the 25th is off the table

Besides, the 25th isn't a one step process.  Trump can appeal the decision.  The cabinet needs to vote again before Pence takes the reins

No, it takes effect immediately.

https://www.npr.org/sections/congress-electoral-college-tally-live-updates/2021/01/07/919400859/what-happens-if-the-president-is-incapacitated-the-25th-amendment-charts-a-cours

(edited)
5 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Only if Trump doesn't appeal

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/21/how-removal-under-th-amendment-works-beginners-guide/

Edited by lummy

(edited)
22 minutes ago, phantomII said:

Wow, looks like he learned from Trump.
Just make a wild accusation  and see how it plays out.

Since the Congressional offices were just looted doesn't his anecdote mean he put himself in more danger? Ironically it would have been safer if he'd stayed in his condo all day and night instead of going to the Capitol - safer for him and for democracy.

Edited by jakee

(edited)
12 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

No, only if Pence cannot get a majority of cabinet to agree with him is how I read that.

It's both, kinda. Timeline is;

1) Pence + Cabinet write to Senate and House, Pence is immediately Acting President.

2) Trump writes to House and Senate, Trump is immediately President again.

3) Pence + Cabinet write a second time within 4 days, Pence is immediately acting President again until Congress votes or 21 term days pass.

Cool system guys. Not convoluted at all. Although on second thought I guess it makes sense when it covers all kinds of temporary incapacitations also. 

Edited by jakee

50 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

No, only if Pence cannot get a majority of cabinet to agree with him is how I read that.

My edit took out the part I was quoting

That’s how the vice president takes over. But there’s a provision for the president to get his job back.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.

So the process is more like Jakee outlines which was the point I was trying to make.

And since this has never been done before, there is also some ambiguity over who is in charge during the 4 days the cabinet is trying to overrule the president

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

What's next, a scintilla of it? When will you modify it down to an iota of it? Let me guess, you are starting to wonder if what you post online lives on? No mercy, dude, you did this, your vote enabled this and you own this. Whatever thing for yourself you hoped to get by voting for Trump matters not now. This is now a big part of your legacy. Instead of self serving kanoodleing that is obvious to every one here you should have simply fallen on your sword and promised to be good. 

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

Bullshit. You 'blamed the Dems' in your original post and are now trying to weasel out of it.

Please describe this "sliver". What exactly is it and why does anyone who didn't vote for Trump own any of it?

This whole mess is on Trump and the Republican party.

And on those who voted for them, either back in 2016 or a couple of months ago.
Although it's a lot more on the recent ones because they had full evidence of how evil Trump is, and how the Rs are in full lockstep, at least until the last couple of weeks.

• Like 1