papax17

Jumping with eye glasses

I did my first tandem jump about two weeks ago at Cross Keys, and I am going again Saturday. The only thing I was not comfortable with was that I had to put goggles over my glasses and it basically pushed my glasses into my eyes and it was extremely uncomfortable. When I start AFF and skydiving on my own I am going to need to be able to spot the dz and other land marks that I wont be able to spot with out my glasses.

Is there a way I can comfortably wear my glasses when jumping?

Thanks in advance

Papa

Smaller glasses ;) Or get fitted for contacts to wear just while jumping. Or get a pair of goggles that will accommodate your glasses.

Please don't jump without glasses. At our DZ, an AFF student actually cut away a perfectly good canopy because she claimed she couldn't see it without her glasses on and she didn't want to wear her glasses for her jump.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I have a pair of the Sport RX goggles and they work great. I wear my regular glasses to altitude and then put on my RX goggles.

Another option is the oversized goggles to fit over your eyeglasses.

Big Ed

The first step involves getting small frame glasses that will fit under regular goggles.
Another option is regular glasses with just a strap around the back. I jumped them for a decade or so.
For the last decade I have worn racketball glasses (or basketball glasses with larger lenses). I switched to impact-resistant frames after too many loving students slammed my head in to the door frame.

A third option is the wide variety of industrial safety glasses that can be fitted with perscription lenses. They should be available at your local optometrist. Just pick a pair that minimises wind.

Personally, I just wear soft contacts. I won't wear rigid contacts anytime there's a chance of getting hit in the eye, like in RW where you're a newbie and close to other people. I've never found goggles that fit well over my glasses and don't push them into my eyes exactly like you described. Plus, contact lenses give you better peripheral vision than glasses do.

If you want to wear your glasses, a full face helmet might work for you eventually, but most DZs won't let students wear them. Because of the glasses issue, though, the DZ might let you...you never know, and it can't hurt to ask.

Prescription goggles might be a really good option for you right now. I had a pair I used for skiing, and they rocked! (course, my prescription has changed now, so they got donated to charity). Your eye doctor can probably recommend somewhere to get them, and if not, there's a ton of places online. Like glasses, though, it's better to try them on before ordering, because everyone's faces and preferences are different, and you want something that's going to be really comfortable and work with your helmet.

way to go... on your tandem...
Next jump, I hope you'll be more comfortable...
I have been jumping with "my regular old glasses" for decades.... I have always owned two pairs of whatever "style" I was wearing, at any given time and I keep one pair set up with a good secure strap. which can be tightened a bit, prior to exit..These glasses stay with my altimeter and my helmet, and I switch from my 'street glasses' over to my jumping glasses, when i gear up...
I tossed the goggles after about 15 jumps... As you say,, they pressed my frames against my face and also blocked my view. I'd suggest a helmet , in order to prevent the glasses AND strap from flying away..."Windblast" has never seemed to bother me, maybe i subconsciously "squint"...maybe the lenes themselves do a good enough job of protecting my eyes... Consider trying it.. Just be sure that you DO have two pairs so if something happened,,,, you could STILL drive home :P;)B|:)B| (<<<< i used this icon 'cause it was the only one with 'glasses' ..... :o:D;):)jmy o[:-)

I don't like to jump with contacts in. I used to just wear my regular prescription sunglasses with a sport strap holding them. Now I wear the prescription basketball/raquetball type sport glasses, with the elastic band around them. I have one pair tinted, the other pair clear. Most any optometrist should have them. Very comfortable. I have heard The SportX are good, too. I tried on a friend's pair (didn't jump them), and they're quite comfortable, too.

Just my $0.02

I wear my prescription sunglasses with grippers....forgot the 'official name of these critters...but you wear them with your glasses at the lake or snow skiing...etc.

I wear my glasses with a full face helmet. I see fine and can land well...it's not the glasses fault about those landings of mine!!! :S

But RX goggles and goggles over my glasses cause more trouble..and create an unstable environment.

Experiment with what makes YOU feel good~~~
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

depends on whether they gave you the right goggles that fit over glasses. I wear them all the time. If they gave you regular goggles because they are too lazy or too cheap to find you the right pair, then that is on them as bad customer service.

I see it occasionally, but there are proper goggles that fit over glasses and you should settle for nothing less and demand it, especially for the $ you are paying.

tkhayes

.... I wear them all the time...

Hi TK,

Which goggles do you like best with glasses?

I have been jumping without my glasses for years but I'm now getting to the place where I think I might be better with them B|

The old answer I've been using when asked about not wearing my glasses is getting old, just like me.

"Blue and white are usually up. Green, brown and yellow are usually down" As you know, lots of canola in Alberta!

Thanks, Ian Harrop
Calgary Parachute Club
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

For the last few years I have worn WileyX prescription sunglasses. Great fit, fashionable and they keep the wind out of my eyes.
Dozens of other manufacturers make similar low-profile sunglasses for motorcycle riding, surfing, etc. The challenge is chosing the model that best fits your face.

I can't normally wear contact lenses, after a few hours they start to hurt because my eyes are too dry. The only times I wear them are under goggles while swimming laps and under googles while jumping. But they're very handy for jumping and if you do lose them they cost a tiny fraction of replacing your glasses.

Ian,

Mister Iluvchuters has been using these since I've known him. Just the standard normal goggles but made for over the glasses.
Vision without his glasses is just a big fuzz.

He seems to like them well enough!

Or you could always get a full face helmet :)

(oh hey I made a clicky!!)
http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p210.asp#Flex-ZGoggles

I don't know anyone else who does this. But I've always worn my regular prescription every day glasses (now progressive focus) with a strap behind my head. No googles. For many years now. Although I did have a tandem opening where a riser tried to remove them from my face, so now on tandems I wear over glasses goggles on top of them.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I had no luck finding goggles that could take my progressive lenses. I'm fine with just the glasses. Except for tandems. I figure since we make the student wear them I should too.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.