omrig102

AFF at the end of the month

Hi everyone, I'm expected to start aff at the end of this month and i'm really nervous and scared about it.I already did tandem(more like 5 in the past 2 years) and really liked it,but can't believe i'll be able to do it myself(hope so).
On friday , i'm supposed to go to a wind tunnel to try and get familiar with controlling my body while in freefall.
My main concerns are handling malfunctions and spinning while in freefall,and also facing the door.Any tips to help relax and not back out in the last minute?

If you'd told me any of the stuff I'd be doing in AFF a year before I did it, I'd have laughed at you. I was also a bit worried about my first malfunction as it didn't happen until around jump 160, but it was like I'd had the AFF training a day earlier when it happened, and I cut away and got to the ground otherwise uneventfully. The neat thing about this is every single person who goes through the program has a unique experience, even though the program is completely standard. We all have things we have problems with, like door fear or being able to hold a heading on jump 3, but things no one else could have predicted are going through your head as well. The best advice is try not to worry too much about the future until it gets here, and deal with what's in front of you right now. You'll be surprised at how much you're capable of, when you finally get there.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I don't think there is any good advice for this because it's exactly the same concern that any sane person has on their first solo jump. You might encounter any of those situations but you will be trained to deal with them.

Making myself jump out of that plane for the first time was the most terrifyingly unnatural thing I have ever done. The second time wasn't all that much easier. I knew what made me want to do it and I had no one to blame but myself for being in that plane.

In hindsight it was the most liberating and beautiful thing I have experienced. The decision to do it was probably one of the best I've ever made.

It gets so much easier with experience but that moment when it's time to go still gives me butterflies. I hope you learn to love that moment as much as I do.
Welcome to our sport :)

Remember, it is all in your head. The fear, the questions, the what ifs. My best advice is to ask and debate everything you want before the first jump but when you start putting your parachute on 15 minutes before the flight, just lock out. Don't think about fear (yes it Will be there but don't analyze it), find an empty space in your head, do everything slowly. 45 seconds of free fall seems fast but it is all the time in the world you need to make it trough that first jump. Trust yourself, you Will know everything you need before you sit in that plane. About the malfunctions: Student gear is designed in a way that minimises any chance of malfunctions and if something happens during the deployment, you have 2 instructors holding you and supervising the deployment procedure. I'm almost certain you Will have line twists during your initial jumps. I advise you not to panic, since your body position can't be perfect in a few jumps. Line twists on student canopies dont make much difference.

Good luck and most of all have fun!

I have just had a very similar experience this week. Did 20 minutes in the tunnel and started my AFF course with three jumps with linked exit with instructor and then yesterday my first solo exit. It was awesome, yeah I tumbled a bit but recovery was pretty easy. Do yourself a favor and don't back out.

I found the tunnel time really good for my confidence, I was also worried about spinning. If you can fly in the tunnel you will be fine.

I am 54 and have left this way too long don't make the same mistake.