michaelmullins

HALO Oxygen Jumps 28K at West Tennessee Skydiving

West Tennessee Skydiving is offering HALO Oxygen Jumps from 28,000' year around, on any given Friday, for both Licensed Jumpers and Tandem Students.  For licensed jumpers, the only requirement is that you have a skydiving license, from any country, and that you can be trained to use a freefall oxygen system.

For complete information, please click on:

https://www.skydivekingair.com/index.php?p=2800

Mike Mullins

West Tennessee Skydiving

• Like 4

(edited)

Interesting stuff on the website about the whole issue of 28,000' vs 30,000' and current rules for aircraft. Plus about bringing all the training & gear in house rather than organized by another group as it was years ago.

@michaelmullins What is your take on the foreigners using TSO gear, when it comes to gear modifications? You're being strict about that issue, which most places don't.

What is your understanding of a situation like this:  I for example am a Canadian  living in Canada. I jump a rig with harness and reserve that were US made with a TSO. The rig, however, has had rigger modifications to it, legal in Canada, but not done in accordance with the TSO or by FAA riggers. That would invalidate the TSO.  That then makes it legal for me to jump in the US, with a non-FAA rigger's pack job? 

Does your interpretation agree?

Indeed, I tell people that if they ever have a problem with a CSPA pack job in the USA, just deface the orange TSO warning label. Voila, no longer a TSOd rig.  :-)

Edited by pchapman

(edited)
16 minutes ago, pchapman said:

Interesting stuff on the website about the whole issue of 28,000' vs 30,000' and current rules for aircraft. Plus about bringing all the training & gear in house rather than organized by another group as it was years ago.

@michaelmullins What is your take on the foreigners using TSO gear, when it comes to gear modifications? You're being strict about that issue, which most places don't.

What is your understanding of a situation like this:  I for example am a Canadian  living in Canada. I jump a rig with harness and reserve that were US made with a TSO. The rig, however, has had rigger modifications to it, legal in Canada, but not done in accordance with the TSO or by FAA riggers. That would invalidate the TSO.  That then makes it legal for me to jump in the US, with a non-FAA rigger's pack job? 

Does your interpretation agree?

Indeed, I tell people that if they ever have a problem with a CSPA pack job in the USA, just deface the orange TSO warning label. Voila, no longer a TSOd rig.  :-)

------------------------------------------------------

I do agree with your interpretation.  If the rigs TSO has been invalidated by an unauthorized modification according to FAA rules, but is OK to jump in Canada and is packed in accordance with the rules of Canada, then it would be legal to jump in the US.  We are strict about these rules to protect our DZ and, most importantly, our pilot who could lose his license and livelihood for allowing someone to jump from an aircraft while violating this rule.  At the very least, he could get a violation on his record, which no professional pilot wants.

Edited by michaelmullins

(edited)
6 hours ago, Cocowheats said:

So Mars M.2 Multi is not an acceptable HALO AAD?

Manual states it's good above 26k FT I thought.

I'm not pretending to know anything...I know nothing. Legit question.

--------------------------------------

You will notice that the m.2multi manual lists a maximum operating altitude of 26,200'.  We, very recently, contacted them directly for an explanation of this and they agreed it is misleading wording in what they were trying to convey is that is the maximum landing altitude is 26,200', not the maximum exit altitude.  Same issue with cypres who listed 26,000'.  After dialogue with both, they have both sent me written authorization that actual exit altitude is no problem, they are both good for exit altitudes of 28,000' and that they will reword their manual in future editions to clarify exit altitudes vs landing altitudes.

So, both the m.2multi and cypres are OK for our HALO oxygen jumps, along with the Vigil.

Mike Mullins

Edited by michaelmullins
  • Like 1

(edited)

Thank you for the reply and explanation on the AADs. Great to know my rig is most likely acceptable. Gonna try and make it out there this year(which is why I asked)!

Next question: License type and jump # requirements? Didn't see that mentioned here or the website.

Edited by Cocowheats

Cocowheats-To answer your question, as long as you are a licensed skydiver and can breath air through a mask, you are good to go. Specifically, any USPA license is fine, A, B, C or D is acceptable as a solo jumper. And we will train you on the operation of all the gear, including breathing with the mask.  No jump number requirements, as one must have a minimum of 25 jumps to get a USPA license. It is just a REALLY LONG freefall...about 2.5 minutes.  

Paul Gholson  S&TA & HALO Oxygen Monitor

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:52 PM, skypilotA1 said:

It is just a REALLY LONG freefall...about 2.5 minutes.

I'm going to have to disagree, Paul.

It is a REALLY MAGNIFICENT LONG freefall. There's no "just" about it.

Mike, Hope you're doing well.