Gavrilo Andrić

Skydiving footwear

Hi folks, usually when I'm thinking of skydiving gear I'm not thinking about the footwear, but, recently I've noticed that people are using very wide range of stuff. Especially I'm thinking of footwear for disciplines like swoop. I'm currently in a very beginning phase of swoop learning so I'm interested in hearing your best practices or any advices about this topic. What is the best option to achieve both - optimal mobility and in the same time good protection?

Thanks

11 hours ago, KaneEcwit said:

skateboarding shoes,bowling shoes with flat bottom are ideal options.

Kane, here's the best advice I can give you - While at your DZ or a regional boogie; go find the best and most recognized swooper and ask them. First hand knowledge from someone in that discipline is LOTS better than any Internet advice. Be safe.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:14 AM, KaneEcwit said:

Is hiking boots can be used for skydiving gear? like this one, which have many thread on the bottom.

Those high-top army boots will provide a bit of extra ankle protection and the deep tread will provide better traction when hiking back from of out-landings.

I have done hundreds of jumps with Canadian Army boots even after I left the army. Most of later jumps in army boots were done onto soggy landing fields and I am too much of a sissy to want wet socks for the rest of the day.

OTOH, the little added ankle protection really needs an extra layer to wrap tightly around your tibia and fibula and clamp them together. Half the ankle injuries are caused by separating or dis-locating ankle bones.

Over the years I have jumped in Teva sandals, army boots, light-weight hiking boots, and a huge variety of running shoes. I only jumped bare foot once or twice.

On 2/5/2021 at 6:11 PM, KaneEcwit said:

OK,understand, skateboarding shoes,bowling shoes with flat bottom are ideal options.

Generally I'd just use old sneakers with mostly-flat (worn) bottoms.  The true test was the early morning zero wind wet grass landing.  They worked pretty well for that - could even pull it off on dirt most of the time.  That was mostly on Nitros and Crossfires loaded about 2:1.

• Like 2

I tried what I guess are some skateboard shoes (DC's) but don't like them --- Seemed to have very little padding to absorb any vertical shock. Just the harder rubber outer sole & an insole. Maybe that's something about keeping feet close to the skateboard without thick shock absorption?  So running out a landing on hard ground.

Maybe someone with more experience with either skate shoes or using them in skydiving can comment.

A bunch of people do use them, but didn't work for me. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to that. Running shoes with flatter soles and no big chunky treads, that worked for me for sliding in, both for Sigma tandems and for swoops.

• Like 1