Binary93

Treating main suspension lines with PTFE spray

In this video (linked at 11m34s) Colin suggests treating main vectran lines with PTFE spray. On one hand it seems logical to me that it would save some life on the lines. On the other hand, I can imagine it altering the friction forces exerted by the slider so not sure if it could lead to hard(er) openings?

Is this something that's commonly done? What do you all think about this?

I've just started watching some of Colin's videos.  There is a lot of very good information.  But, if you do this you are now a TEST JUMPER. His idea is your putting back something that was there and has worn off.  But he does know what was there, how much, etc.  Not quite sure what problem he's trying to solve.  But you may have hard openings, slow openings, longer lasting lines, shorter life lines, wear out grommets.  ALL BETS ARE OFF. 

In the days of dacron we used to do crazy stuff with it.  Soap, various sprays, etc.  Mainly openings were getting too slow.  But remember slow then was what today's jumpers call a hard opening.  If our canopies in the 80's came CLOSE to sniveling as long as today's designs they were a malfunction and cutaway.  The first time I jumped a canopy designed for one of these long sniveling openings the owner warned me that it would take 500 to 800 feet to open and to not cut it away.

• Like 3

We used to spray tandem lines with silicone and other things. Trying to reduce the wear and reduce friction knots. My experience was that it picked up dust and grit off the floor and actually accelerated the wear of the lines. A dry Teflon spray might do better but having been burned before....

Lee

• Like 1