1 1
brenthutch

2020 climate fails

On 1/28/2021 at 11:15 PM, billvon said:

Simple.  Replace Trump with Biden.  You know the blind, irrational hatred you feel when you hear his name?  The sort of deep hatred that would lead you to post fact-free things like:

Like that.  Same sort of irrational hatred.

Fact free?

“Terry O’Sullivan, General President of LIUNA – the Laborers’ International Union of North America: "The Biden Administration’s decision to cancel the Keystone XL pipeline permit on day one of his presidency is both insulting and disappointing to the thousands of hard-working LIUNA members who will lose good-paying, middle class family-supporting jobs. By blocking this 100 percent union project, and pandering to environmental extremists, a thousand union jobs will immediately vanish and 10,000 additional jobs will be foregone.”

BTW I don’t hate anyone.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Way to dodge the issue Bill.

Not dodging the issue at all.  Aren't jobs how people are lifted out of poverty?  That's what the GOP has been saying for decades.

(BTW you're wrong about that meme anyway.  Cobalt production is a byproduct of copper and nickel mining; that poor tug-at-your-heartstrings picture is someone who would have been there anyway, mining the copper for the wiring for your new McMansion.  I realize it's all about the feels for you, so better change that meme lest some GOPers have uncomfortable feels as a result.)

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Way to dodge the issue Bill.

An EV typically uses about 15kg of cobalt, which will last it 100,000 miles or so.  The mass of cobalt needed is being reduced as technology improves, and Tesla has already announced its next generation will be cobalt free. When the battery is recycled the cobalt can be recovered, so that 15kg goes a LONG way.

How many kg of oil are needed to drive a typical gas or diesel car 100,000 miles?  Can it be recovered? I'm sure you can do the calculation.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

An EV typically uses about 15kg of cobalt, which will last it 100,000 miles or so.  The mass of cobalt needed is being reduced as technology improves, and Tesla has already announced its next generation will be cobalt free. When the battery is recycled the cobalt can be recovered, so that 15kg goes a LONG way.

How many kg of oil are needed to drive a typical gas or diesel car 100,000 miles?  Can it be recovered? I'm sure you can do the calculation.

Don't forget all the 'wonderful' things that the oil industry (and pretty much any mineral extraction company) does in places that have little or no environmental protections.

Whether it's in Africa, South America, or even the US a while back.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

(BTW you're wrong about that meme anyway.  Cobalt production is a byproduct of copper and nickel mining; that poor tug-at-your-heartstrings picture is someone who would have been there anyway, mining the copper for the wiring for your new McMansion. 

The meme is just an appeal to ignorance.  The ignorance typical of the poorly educated base that Trump loves so much.

Just now, airdvr said:

Not my fault if you don't see the humor.

It wasn't funny. It wasn't cute. It wasn't topical. It wasn't thoughtful. It wasn't informative. It wasn't even silly. And it definitely didn't inspire anyone with any desire to understand the problem to rethink a position. It was more like a phantom twitch than anything else. 

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

It wasn't funny. It wasn't cute. It wasn't topical. It wasn't thoughtful. It wasn't informative. It wasn't even silly. And it definitely didn't inspire anyone with any desire to understand the problem to rethink a position. It was more like a phantom twitch than anything else. 

Give him a day or so.  Once he's proven wrong he will switch to "oh, I just thought it was funny that libs get so angry about XXX and then . . .  Geez, where's your sense of humor?"

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/19475705.2020.1730452

“drought has not intensified and expanded during 38-year, while the global temperature anomaly has strongly increased. Since drought has not intensified and expanded during strong global warming, food security in the next few years is likely to remain at the level of the most recent decade.”

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/19475705.2020.1730452

“drought has not intensified and expanded during 38-year, while the global temperature anomaly has strongly increased. Since drought has not intensified and expanded during strong global warming, food security in the next few years is likely to remain at the level of the most recent decade.”

You're now telling us that there's been "strong global warming" and "the global temperature anomaly has strongly increased".  I guess that's progress.

17 minutes ago, kallend said:

You're now telling us that there's been "strong global warming" and "the global temperature anomaly has strongly increased".  I guess that's progress.

Real progress would be for you to recognize that the “strong global warming” has failed to produce the calamitous disasters that were predicted.  (BTW we are five years into yet another “pause”)

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Real progress would be for you to recognize that the “strong global warming” has failed to produce the calamitous disasters that were predicted.  (BTW we are five years into yet another “pause”)

And once again you contradict yourself and the source you cited.

You really are a poor apology for a troll.  You need to take lessons from RonD or you'll give trolls a bad name.

Just now, kallend said:

And once again you contradict yourself and the source you cited.

You really are a poor apology for a troll.  You need to take lessons from RonD or you'll give trolls a bad name.

The contradiction is between prediction and observation.

BTW have fun with your arctic blast this week.

22 minutes ago, kallend said:

And once again the deliberate but 100% predictable conflation of weather and climate.

You give trolls a bad name.

"Gettin too hot, and you're to blame
Oh you give trolls a bad name

Disinformation is what you sell
You promise us science but then you expel
Stuff that you saw on TV that day
FOX is pure propaganda, you like it that way

Woaaaao you think it's all fun
Woahho there's nowhere to run
The planet is warming
The damage is done"

(apologies to Bon Jovi)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, murps2000 said:

View north toward San Francisco today, from Montara mountain. Temps 59-60. I’ve got two valid data points that say global warming is real. Change my mind.

I was hiking 48 miles southeast of there today, and could see SF and Mount Tam.   Pretty splendid day.