binkyro12

Continuing after A-License

Sorry in advance if im beating a dead horse with this type of post. I got my A license about a month ago and I am trying to jump a lot. problem is the closest drop zone is 2 and half hours away, dont own my own gear, and money is tight (starting to save/recuperate from the A license). im thinking of packing up and moving to San Diego, gotta friend out there who has a spot on the couch for me until i get on my feet. Im hoping to get on as packer (still suck at packing) somewhere out there and just put the time in and work my way up if i can. What I am asking is, is there any of yall who have been in similar situations and how'd you make it work? Appreciate it all.

Yes. It is tough at the start. The learning curve is steep and the costs are immense.
At the start I chose to jump less, once a month for around 8 months to sort out my own set of gear so I wouldn't have to pay more for rental gear. It took a long time and my financial situation wasn't great but I got there, and so will you if you stick with it. :)

I'm lucky to be able to jump a lot more than once a month, but of course I would like to jump even more. I dont know where you live now, but eventually if you want to live in SD (besides on your friends couch) the housing will be pretty expensive. Skydive san Diego is my home DZ, I probably know or at least recognize your friend(I have a black bootie suit with pink grippers and a bunch of tattoos). This being said, the DZ is perfect for someone with your experience level. Everybody's friendly and we usually have 2 RW load organizers on the weekends lately, so I'm sure you would be jumping with me and the crew!
No farting on the plane!

Sounds like you might be a candidate to "jump in with both feet" as it were.

Just some tips.

Living in a tent/camper is not uncommon. People eat ramen every day, don't own anything, and live in poverty at the DZ to "live the dream."

Packing is a good way to generate income and spend time at the DZ without just being a bum. Practice and you'll get better fast.

More long term:

Stay away from the "hustle," most of those people suck. Trying to coach or LO for a free slot is lame and makes people not like you. Getting a rigger ticket is much more respected/useful.

On that same note, stay humble.

Your next upgrade is becoming a camera flyer, but you'll need several hundred jumps and your own camera setup. This is where a lot of folks go from 500 jump wonder to 1000+ and don't pay for most of the second 500.

If you want to jump a lot, you basically have two choices, make sufficient money doing something else, or be a full time skydiver/packer/rigger.

Oh, and if at all possible, get baller health insurance. Break an ankle and you could be out 10's of thousands of dollars. IMHO jumping without good medical insurance is retarded.

Good luck.