heavision

Vector black hardware?

1 hour ago, heavision said:

I'm just wondering what people think about the black hardware option: how long does last? Think it's worth the upcharge? Any considerations with it other than asthetics? Thanks y'all!

I'm leaning toward getting it on mine. It's purely aesthetic. The sales rep told me it can wear through from friction over time but won't flake off (I specifically asked about flaking).

Coating is probably black oxide, which means it wont flake, but it can wear over time. It does not weaken the material in any way, but it also doesn't improve it in any way, so I would treat it as purely aesthetic. Do take into account that wear will not be uniform so after a couple of years, you might see some spottiness in the black hardware (which will probably impact your aesthetics negatively). 

1 hour ago, Kenzdik96 said:

.... Do take into account that wear will not be uniform so after a couple of years, you might see some spottiness in the black hardware (which will probably impact your aesthetics negatively). 

...or give it the "Battle Worn" look that is popular in the aftermarket for firearms.

8 hours ago, NewGuy2005 said:

...or give it the "Battle Worn" look that is popular in the aftermarket for firearms.

Yeah, I actually like that look. I have a black titanium field watch with a nice "patina" on it and I love it. Flaking not so much, which is why I asked.

You should reach out to the manufacturer and ask what is the specific finish.

If it's simply a black oxide finish, then the advantages are mostly cosmetic. If it is a nitride finish, then even after the black finish is worn away, the metal beneath will be far more rust resistant than the original metal before the nitride treatment.

Might not all be cosmetic... depending what the finish really is.

13 hours ago, Cocowheats said:

You should reach out to the manufacturer and ask what is the specific finish.

If it's simply a black oxide finish, then the advantages are mostly cosmetic. If it is a nitride finish, then even after the black finish is worn away, the metal beneath will be far more rust resistant than the original metal before the nitride treatment.

Might not all be cosmetic... depending what the finish really is.

It's stainless steel. I'd expect it to outlast the rest of the rig, coated or not.

2 hours ago, nwt said:

It's stainless steel. I'd expect it to outlast the rest of the rig, coated or not.

You would think so, but I have seen some rigs (15+ years old) where the hardware seemed almost destroyed, if I had to guess, I would say rings looked like they were exposed to salt water and corroded because of it. I have also seen 20+ year old rigs where hardware looked new. I don't know if some manufacturers use something other than stainless for the rings?

30 minutes ago, Kenzdik96 said:

You would think so, but I have seen some rigs (15+ years old) where the hardware seemed almost destroyed, if I had to guess, I would say rings looked like they were exposed to salt water and corroded because of it. I have also seen 20+ year old rigs where hardware looked new. I don't know if some manufacturers use something other than stainless for the rings?

I have seen rigs with cadmium plated hardware ruined by rust. This was the standard type used for many years. The plating resists rust, but not in all conditions. It can also wear off and leave the steel underneath exposed. I have not yet seen rusty stainless steel on a rig. But i'm sure it can happen in some environments.

I have also seen the black plating wear off a little, particularly on the large riser ring where it rubs on the middle ring. It is typically hard to see, it doesn't stand out. Overall the black coating, whatever it is, seems to be pretty long lasting.

Edited by gowlerk

Keep in mind that not all stainless steel is created equally. There are many types of steel that fall under the stainless category.

There are many other factors too, like the heat treating process. Same steel heat treated two different ways can produce vastly different results.

Again, a nitride/melonite finish is not only be cosmetic, but also gives the hardware additional strengths, like far better corrosion resistantance, even on the metal under the black top coat.

Edited by Cocowheats