arch63

Are dropzones 'cliquey'?

Just wondering how it may play out for a beginner visiting an area with several close clubs in the area. Would they get their nose out of joint if you went to the competition? A few years back, in my SCUBA world,the closest city to me had really weird vibe - if dive shop A knows you visit dive shop B you get treated pretty coolly.

I am hoping to get my A next year (weight issue and Covid this year), I don't want screw up on any etiquette during my training!

Thanks for any info.

Glen

Really depends on the place. I have had experience with really awful places, that would basically treat you like a second class person if you jumped at another local dropzone, to the point of being unofficially denied service (you were not asked to leave directly, but manifest made sure you had a bad experience, with the goal of you not returning again). 

Speaking of cliques, there are dropzones that will treat you poorly (again with the goal of you not returning) if you dare to disagree  or question any of the local policies (ie why is the jump run in this direction, why are there more people on the plane than regulations and common sense allow, why am I on a load I didn't sign up for, why was the jump altitude less than agreed, etc). 

Basically, your mileage may wary wherever you go. I have met some of the best people in my life on a dropzone, I have also met some of the worst. 

• Like 1

while in training most dropzones want you to do the entire training at the same place. sure you can switch, but you should be prepared with a reason why.

once you are out of training, then it isn't usually a problem.

if two dropzones in an area are in tight competition things can get ugly, stealing instructors / talking shit / etc then yeah you may be forced to choose one or the other.

• Like 1

In which area are you in Canada?
Around Montreal (Ottawa to Quebec), it's not a problem to mingle with people. There will still be some shit talk between DZ but in the end it's harmless.

The only thing that will get you shunned is if you violate safety rules. All DZs operate differently so you need to adjust to that and you may find it taxing before obtaining your A.

They can be, but many (most?) aren't.

As noted above, until you get your license, it's best to stay at one place.
There are a variety of reasons for this, many are based on 'continuity' and 'familiarity'. 

Most DZs aren't super comfortable with someone 'walking in off the street', claiming to be a student, wanting to continue where they were at the previous DZ. At minimum, you'd have to repeat the last level you completed so they could evaluate where you really are vs where you say you are. 

But once you are licensed, you can go anywhere you want.

There are some places where local 'rivalry' is present. But, unless the DZO is a dick (and some are), the idea of jumpers hopping around to different places is usually fine. 

I've only jumped at 7 different places, but I've never been put down because I jumped at somewhere else. In fact, the opposite is often true. I'm invited to come back again.

Most DZs (and DZOs) don't consider other decent, well run DZs to be 'competition. 

For example, Skydive Chicago & Skydive Midwest both draw from the Chicago market. But a couple years ago, the DZO of SDMW was at SDC Summerfest. He sat 'on the couch' with Rook (DZO of SDC) during the filmfest and discussed this. His wife was doing Load Organizing at Summerfest and Rook commented it was nice that he 'let' her do that. First off, he didn't 'let' her do anything. Second, he knows full well that we need to support each other and that will make the sport a better overall place. 

I know of a bunch of other instances where area DZs cooperated in a variety of ways. 

OTOH, there can be a fair amount of 'cliquisheness' on the DZ itself. Not necessarily in a 'look down' manner, but simply that belly fliers hang togther, as do free fliers, wingsuiters, canopy pilots, ect. They don't really go out of their way to exclude people, but if you aren't 'one of them', they may not be super welcoming.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. It helps. 

I am in northwest Ontario with no dz really close to me (Gimli,MB is about 3hrs). I was looking at the proliferation of places in Minnesota and Wisconsin with some really close to each other. Praying that Covid isn't a consideration next year, and dropping another 20lbs would be nice!

Regards,

Glen

4 hours ago, arch63 said:

Thanks for the input. It helps. 

I am in northwest Ontario with no dz really close to me (Gimli,MB is about 3hrs). I was looking at the proliferation of places in Minnesota and Wisconsin with some really close to each other. Praying that Covid isn't a consideration next year, and dropping another 20lbs would be nice!

Regards,

Glen

We have a regular who drives out to Gimli from Dryden. We can find a place for you in our clique.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Most DZs aren't super comfortable with someone 'walking in off the street', claiming to be a student, wanting to continue where they were at the previous DZ. At minimum, you'd have to repeat the last level you completed so they could evaluate where you really are vs where you say you are. 

when i was s student (22 years), i took a job in omaha that flew me out for three weeks at a time and i was making good money so i decided to finish my license there.  i did a recurrency jump at my dz, took my logbook to weeping waters, and told them i wanted to jump.  they looked at my logbook and put me through my ep's, and made sure i knew what i was doing and i did the next jump with them.  i can't recall exactly since it was '06, but i think they even called my dz to check. 

it was great except for one thing:  the dz was huge!  must've been hundreds of acres of flat land all around the damned landing area.  i was very much used to locating the dz by using the river and hills, then looking for an open spot.  that really sucks ass when it's all a huge open spot.  i also did a couple of student jumps at raeford, but that was afterwards, so i knew what to expect.  of course, when you learn how to skydive in a landing area the size of most d license landing areas, you're good almost anywhere you go.  our landing area now is about 2700' x 500', with almost every obstacle you can name surrounding it; trees, hills, river, powerlines, railroad tracks, buildings.

strictly from my experiences years ago, i would not recommend going to another dz as a student until after you are cleared for self supervision.  as others are saying, you may find cliques (clicks?) on each dz, in fact you will, but it isn't that bad (strictly from my personal experiences at a couple of other dz visits with a license).  of course, it never hurts that i walk into a dz with a case of beer the first time.  if you don't drink, bring a case of water or other beverage. 

Edited by sfzombie13
typo
  • Like 1

Good beverage?  For a Canadian, a Timmy's coffee box works. Less competition in the morning than with cases of beer around the campfire.

Welcome at other DZs?  Around where I am, southern Ontario, people might trash talk or slight other DZ's from time to time ('They're too small / too big & impersonal / too casual / too uptight / not well organized' or whatever) , but that's about the overall setup, not the jumpers. Jumpers themselves are welcome all over. So it is common enough for a jumper to be from one DZ but visit friends at another, and then go to a special event at a third, and be welcomed at all.

12 hours ago, gowlerk said:

We have a regular who drives out to Gimli from Dryden. We can find a place for you in our clique.

I'm looking forward to it. This would have happened a few years back when a friend was going to get me out there. He passed away, unfortunately, but last year I decided to go ahead with my dream. Just have to shed a few more pounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arch63 said:

I'm looking forward to it. This would have happened a few years back when a friend was going to get me out there. He passed away, unfortunately, but last year I decided to go ahead with my dream. Just have to shed a few more pounds.

Shoveling snow is good exercise and will help you lose a few pounds over the winter.

On 12/14/2020 at 3:22 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

For example, Skydive Chicago & Skydive Midwest both draw from the Chicago market.

I've seen plenty of collaboration among the Chicago-area DZs as well. Doug from CSC invited our DZ to one of their boogies once with waived entry fees. I was at a competition at CSC when Rook brought over an Otter to help out. We asked Rook about leasing his 182 and he explained in the nicest, most empathetic way possible that he just doesn't lease out that particular airplane and it really seemed like he cared. I happened to do my 100th jump at CSC and they congratulated me and my home DZ over the PA.

I haven't been to Midwest yet--I'll have to change that soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nwt said:

I haven't been to Midwest yet--I'll have to change that soon.

It's a fun place. 

Make no mistake, the tandems pay the bills, but the DZO knows full well that it's not going to be a fun place to jump if the fun jumpers don't get a good chance to jump.

He wants a good place for himself, his wife and his 2 sons to jump. So he does a lot to encourage the fun jumper community there. 

I chose to stay away this past year (big place, lots of people, close to Milwaukee), but I've been there on a regular basis since 2015. 

Hopefully again next summer.