1 1
Heycharger

Katana long snivelling openings...?

Hey crew, got 80+ jumps on the KA135 loaded at 1.7 and just trying to speed up openings/reduce snivelling a little. Canopy has nearly 400 jumps (lowers replaced) but still in v good condition, trim is good. The openings are Katanaesque, and have adjusted my packing to suit. I am currently exposing the centre cell (quite a bit) with slider pushed in, and the 4 cells adjacent each side folded in to promote centre cell inflation/on heading openings, link to packing style attached.

Hop n pop openings are taking 1000-1200’ even with a 10 second delay, and terminal openings 800-1000’.  Is this just a Katana characteristic that I should get used to, or is there something else I can do. I also hardly roll the tail, maybe 2 x 1 inch folds.

Thanks in advance :)

how have your openings been, when jumping my KA150 i found the openings to be quite soft and long, when packing i just did the normal pro pack from pd and still had quite long openings that were buttery soft, even doing small changes it made no difference, apart from one time when i tugged on the rears just after line stretch which pretty much cracked it open and i decided to accept the longer openings and leave it alone.

3 hours ago, nwt said:

What exactly did Brian do with the slider in that video?

As I understand it, the point of that is not in the slider (nothing special there) but in exposing the center cell and rolling/tucking in others. This will cause the center cell to inflate first which will promote more on-heading opening.

I've had this problem (video below) where half of my canopy would inflate before the other side (and even before the center cell) which essentially "breaks" the canopy in half and causes it to spin. Doing what Brian showed in the video helped me solve it. 

Btw, FluidWings recommends this when packing all their canopies.

39 minutes ago, Binary93 said:

As I understand it, the point of that is not in the slider (nothing special there) but in exposing the center cell and rolling/tucking in others. This will cause the center cell to inflate first which will promote more on-heading opening.

I've had this problem (video below) where half of my canopy would inflate before the other side (and even before the center cell) which essentially "breaks" the canopy in half and causes it to spin. Doing what Brian showed in the video helped me solve it. 

Btw, FluidWings recommends this when packing all their canopies.

I get that the slider isn't the point, but I still need to know what to do with it. Should I just quarter it evenly like usual and then pull the center cell out like in the video? Or should it be quartered with more toward the back to expose the front more?

I'll take a look at the FW video--thanks