Sabrekakkonen

How fast did you learn to pack parachute?

I currently jump a really old Skymaster 290.

I have only learnt to flatpack so far, which isn't so bad considering the size of the canopy, but I find it quite hard being on the ground like that.

I'm a bigger guy with a bad back and knees after being medically discharged from the army, so I find packing very difficult, and as such I am incredibly slow at it.

When I pack, I have a towel with me at all times to keep the sweat away from the fabric, and I stand up frequently to ease some of the pressure from my back and legs. I just hate how long it takes me.

It feels like jumping has been really good for my body, but packing is really bad haha.
_____
SPLAT

So last weekend i was in a rush and didnt quarter my slider. I'll definitely never forget to do that again! My body must be pretty resilient because I wasn't sore at all the next day. Now i make sure I push the center point of that slider all the way down with my finger and make sure the quarters are in the respective places.

My canopy is still pretty sloppy in my d-bag but sometimes my better openings are the sloppier ones. I just try to keep the lines centered when I'm putting the stows and stuff the excess canopy in on the third and fourth stows.

People keep giving me new tips, I choose which ones I like and after 12 or so pack jobs that I actually jumped i did a couple pack jobs in about 22 minutes! Sometimes you just wanna turn and gotta sweat and stuff it in there as fast as possible
No farting on the plane!

Always nice to read of other struggles. I've done 200ish propack jobs now and it's getting easier. I sweat like a mofo so the towel is mandatory and I still have to stand occasionally to relieve my back and knees. Worth it to skydive though!!!!!
Whale oil beef hooked

JohnMitchell

***The greatest impediment to me learning to pack was the option of paying $6.

Actually, paid packers, AFAIK, were a rarity in the 70's.

Skydives were only $6 in the 70's. If I'm remembering correctly (which may well NOT be the case) we got paid $3 for packing T-10's in the late 70's.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

******The greatest impediment to me learning to pack was the option of paying $6.

Actually, paid packers, AFAIK, were a rarity in the 70's.

Skydives were only $6 in the 70's. If I'm remembering correctly (which may well NOT be the case) we got paid $3 for packing T-10's in the late 70's.

One of my fonder memories of 1983 was showing up at the DZ on a very slow weekday with a couple of friends. The DZO really didnt want to fire up the Cessna for the three of us. After noticing a couple of empty beer cans in the bed of the truck, to the DZO's relief, we were told that we know the rules, there would be no jumping... "But hey! you guys want to pack some student T-10's ?"

skyjumpenfool

If I'm remembering correctly (which may well NOT be the case) we got paid $3 for packing T-10's in the late 70's.

I was teaching the FJC back then. I got $10 a head for teaching. Never did pack-for-pay. :)
My son started packing when he was maybe 12. Richest kid I ever knew. He never had to mow lawns for money. Although he made a tandem when he was 14, he didn't take AFF until he was 20 and already a tunnel instructor. His biggest worry on his first jump? "Who in the hell packed my parachute?" He was much happier jumping his own pack jobs on his subsequent jumps.

I have one thing to add. Packing seems like a surgery at the beginning but it is actually not.

Most important things you have to watch out:

1. Canopy is symmetrical on both sides with nice line group separation
2. stabilizers are all flaked out, don't leave them in
3. Slider is all the way down
4. Roll it up nice and tight and push that nose in
5. If you done this the canopy is pretty much cool
6. Make the s folds and stuff it in

It may look like a mess, but because you made a good job with packing to this point it doesn't make much difference if there is some loose fabric (atleast not on lightly loaded canopies). You will get that tight and neat look with time.

Some tips for slow openings:

When you push the nose in, take a pinch on the exposed part of the slider and pull it down and a bit out, then close the package, roll it tight and a lot (2-3 big rolls won't make a slow opening and you will have problems putting the canopy on the ground). I make 3-4 big rolls at the bottom, then pinch it between my legs, then i start working from the top to the bottom and roll it up tightly.

Be prepared for 3 seconds+ openings :P