hcsvader

400 jumps velo 111

skyjumpenfool

*** ........achute more. Lighter fronts, and felt like more bottom end flare too, maybe because it was going a little faster? I dunno.

Finally, something we can agree on! :P

yea maybe he doesn't know. On the other hand you , YOU know what he doesn't know?

Becouse i don't know what he doens't know therefore i dont know on what you are agreeing :P

to ledballon: keep running, i mean this is what you are doing, donsizing and changing canopy as soos as you feel bored or not challenged. That is fine till you can run. Someday you will be not in shape for a run or you really will not wont to run at all, but you have to keep running, so something strange can happen.

i watched you landing my velo-103 with a 270 a couple of times, and everything was fine, for me it is important knowing where you goona swoop and where you finish your swoop, plenty of room. that mean that you know what are you doing. he knows his stuff

i watched landing you velo 111 directly donwwind with a 270, wow was surprised wind was 5 to 10 mph with gust till 20 mph that day and you landed fine, swoop was just a tiny higher than it should have been.

what i like of you is the no fear factor the attitude of just do it and lets deal after if something goes wrong.

i really need some of that

i went from 500 jumps with a ka135 270 degree rotation to a 120 ka and i started everything over, from flaring the canopy to high speed approches , straight in , 90 145 180 230 270 , 50 jumps to get to 270 again !

honestly i think that i wasted a lot of time doing so, but it is my way. i am fine with it.

the next step was from ka120 to ve103 with the same approche but just less than 10 jumps to get to 270 again

next step was ve 103 to vc 96 , in this case only 1 jump to get 270 degree rotation.

every one is different and this guy has proved that he is different from me

before judging you should see how he is flying the canopy and how he "lands"

there is one thing that i would say about having the right canopy, to actually been able to train and learn, what canopy model and size is right for you now i dont know, you can keep downsizing but for what?? Can you train with that new smaller canopy?? can you learn new staff with it?? spare some money and get a coach for a day and lissen to him and not to people on a forum. OR just lissen from the right people at your DZ, people like formation skydivers :PPPPPP

on my part i think 103 for you is fine, keep lissenig to everybody then you decide for yourself, it is your life.

once you got that, upon your head you dont have a sabre, honestly beeing a dick at low altitude with toggles, i would not expect from noone. so just keep landing fast canopies with right tecniques everything should go fine .

skinnay

What language are you trying to write in? You are probably better off just writing in your native language and posting the google translation.

I understood it perfectly. maybe there's a fault in YOUR translator. Or you could try contributing something more constructive to the thread topic.

Hey LeadBall, can you give us some idea of how you are doing your canopy progression, I was chatting with Vader on the weekend about how our sport is only here BECAUSE of people who pushed conventional boundaries.
So my question is are you a dedicated HP canopy pilot, committing time and effort into learning HP piloting on dedicated jumps, getting coaching and focussing mostly on HP piloting or are you flying your canopy and doing HP landings at the end of normal full altitude jumps, and learning as you go (self-taught so to speak). OR is it a mix of both?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I like the canopy I put a lot of time to it. I do a lot of high pulls, practice drills, flocking dives and flying around big puffy cloud stacks

I had some canopy training but I was told I couldn't have more for flying a Velo. My instructor saw me land it and said my landings looked safe when I asked. I guess he feels he doesn't want to risk his rep on me, that I'm a bit of dick and I don't deserve training due amongst other things to my stupid canopy choice/silly trousers/general arrogant cockness. And that's fine. I'm not trying to piss anyone off by downsizing canopies though. The biggest draw of skydiving was the idea that here is a place I can find my own limits before the law or whatever imposes them upon me. that's how it's advertised. the more I jump the more I feel like this isn't true and that's lame.

My Katana did not open as well, steeper glide angle, less flare, harder to land smoothly/comfortably. The Velocity performs the job of saving me from freefall, flying then landing better than any other canopy. FACT. Why should I not keep jumping it? Because I might hurt myself? THIS IS SKYDIVING.

To the people commenting on Truzzo's english: please write your posts in Italian, we'll ask Truzzo to give you marks out of ten

Thanks for letting me fly your chute Truzzo

The CSI and S&TA are aware of what I'm jumping. They have talked to me about it regularly. This is one of the busiest high profile DZs in the world and a busy commercial airport. safety is the most important thing

Rob McVader is one of the most nakedly egotistical people I've ever met. I will be trying my hardest not to give him the satisfaction of being right. Ever.

ledballoon

The biggest draw of skydiving was the idea that here is a place I can find my own limits before the law or whatever imposes them upon me. that's how it's advertised.

Really? Where?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

ledballoon

The biggest draw of skydiving was the idea that here is a place I can find my own limits before the law or whatever imposes them upon me. that's how it's advertised. the more I jump the more I feel like this isn't true and that's lame.

No it's not true, and that's because you aren't the only one here. While someone feels like finding their personal limits, going way beyond them because they don't know any better, and killing someone in the process, the rest of us have to deal with the reprocussions and tighter rules. If it was just you and the rest of us wouldn't be negatively impacted by your decisions, then we wouldn't give two shits about what you do.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

linebckr83

the rest of us have to deal with the reprocussions and tighter rules....

That's not really true, is it? It's just a tired old cliche that is trotted out time and again.

What was the last actual rule to be introduced in response to dangerous behaviour? And when?

There are toothless BSRs and local limits but basically, nobody is scrutinizing us and slapping new rules on skydiving whenever a couple of people die.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

>What was the last actual rule to be introduced in response to dangerous behaviour?

Well, on a local level wingsuits, tracking suits, and tracking dives are all banned in Lodi due to dangerous behavior.

That was a couple weeks ago.
Apex BASE

billvon

>What was the last actual rule to be introduced in response to dangerous behaviour?

Change to group member pledge separating landing areas for high speed landings. About 8 years ago I think.

I believe that came in in 2008, so 5 years ago. But I don't believe that really spoiled any fun for swoopers - in fact by clearing the airspace it may have actually made it better for us.

And in any case it is largely ignored now by many DZs where you can see HP turns and standard patterns to the same landing area from the same load.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

>But I don't believe that really spoiled any fun for swoopers - in fact by clearing
>the airspace it may have actually made it better for us.

Hmm. From the arguments we got it was clear that people did not feel that way at the time. Perhaps there's a lesson there - for all the complaining about new regulations, they don't actually keep people from doing what they want, and in fact can help both the people who want to push the limits and the people who don't want to be killed by people pushing the limits.

ledballoon

I had some canopy training but I was told I couldn't have more for flying a Velo. My instructor saw me land it and said my landings looked safe when I asked. I guess he feels he doesn't want to risk his rep on me, that I'm a bit of dick and I don't deserve training due amongst other things to my stupid canopy choice/silly trousers/general arrogant cockness. And that's fine.

If that coach wont work with you find another and Id say BETTER coach. IF you vare staying on a canopy that many think is inappropriate it is in EVERYONES interest to make sure you are properly trained on it. Seriously dude find someone who WILL help you out on the finer points.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

***I had some canopy training but I was told I couldn't have more for flying a Velo. My instructor saw me land it and said my landings looked safe when I asked. I guess he feels he doesn't want to risk his rep on me, that I'm a bit of dick and I don't deserve training due amongst other things to my stupid canopy choice/silly trousers/general arrogant cockness. And that's fine.

If that coach wont work with you find another and Id say BETTER coach. IF you vare staying on a canopy that many think is inappropriate it is in EVERYONES interest to make sure you are properly trained on it. Seriously dude find someone who WILL help you out on the finer points.

WOW??

I'd be interested in hearing the canopy coaches take on this?? My guess is, we haven't heard the whole story here.

But, let me take a wild guess.... Could it be, the Coach wanted you to get coaching on a more appropriate canopy before you killed yourself on a canopy you have no business flying? I've got $20 at 10:1 that says I'm right... any takers???? :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

******I had some canopy training but I was told I couldn't have more for flying a Velo. My instructor saw me land it and said my landings looked safe when I asked. I guess he feels he doesn't want to risk his rep on me, that I'm a bit of dick and I don't deserve training due amongst other things to my stupid canopy choice/silly trousers/general arrogant cockness. And that's fine.

WOW??

I'd be interested in hearing the canopy coaches take on this?? My guess is, we haven't heard the whole story here.

But, let me take a wild guess.... Could it be, the Coach wanted you to get coaching on a more appropriate canopy before you killed yourself on a canopy you have no business flying? I've got $20 at 10:1 that says I'm right... any takers???? :)Fact is he jumps a small canopy, and is allowed to do so at his DZ. It's in everyones interest to be helping him do it the best way possible. and not just smear himself on the DZ.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

*********I had some canopy training but I was told I couldn't have more for flying a Velo. My instructor saw me land it and said my landings looked safe when I asked. I guess he feels he doesn't want to risk his rep on me, that I'm a bit of dick and I don't deserve training due amongst other things to my stupid canopy choice/silly trousers/general arrogant cockness. And that's fine.

WOW??

But, let me take a wild guess.... Could it be, the Coach wanted you to get coaching on a more appropriate canopy before you killed yourself on a canopy you have no business flying? I've got $20 at 10:1 that says I'm right... any takers???? :)Fact is he jumps a small canopy, and is allowed to do so at his DZ. It's in everyones interest to be helping him do it the best way possible. and not just smear himself on the DZ.

Totally agree.

I'll pitch in some money for a defibrillator. Who wants knows a life flight pilot who works for reasonable wages?

Squeak

*********I had some canopy training but I was told I couldn't have more for flying a Velo. My instructor saw me land it and said my landings looked safe when I asked. I guess he feels he doesn't want to risk his rep on me, that I'm a bit of dick and I don't deserve training due amongst other things to my stupid canopy choice/silly trousers/general arrogant cockness. And that's fine.

WOW??

I disagree Squeak. If the coach assessed his skills and said I'm not teaching you on a Velo, that is a powerful statement and a 'sensible' person would upsize/borrow a rig.

The coach gave some coaching and then backed off, from the way it is worded. It's not like they heard what canopy and refused outright.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

I disagree Squeak. If the coach assessed his skills and said I'm not teaching you on a Velo, that is a powerful statement and a 'sensible' person would upsize/borrow a rig.

The coach gave some coaching and then backed off, from the way it is worded. It's not like they heard what canopy and refused outright.

Like i said find another coach, because he is obviously NOT getting a different canopy.
Im not talking hypotheticals here.
The DZ allows him to jump the canopy, given that, allow coaching.
Or dont allow him to jump the canopy there.

You can t have you cake and eat it too. Either help the guy or stop the guy. Dont stand back and say, Not my problem.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

Like i said find another coach, because he is obviously NOT getting a different canopy.
Im not talking hypotheticals here.
The DZ allows him to jump the canopy, given that, allow coaching.
Or dont allow him to jump the canopy there.

You can t have you cake and eat it too. Either help the guy or stop the guy. Dont stand back and say, Not my problem.

Ok in the context of letting him jump there, I agree.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

What happens when you coach a guy who is obviously in way over their head who thunders in and the family then sues you?

Sorry - if you want my coaching and my coaching tells you to upsize and you don't. Well then you obviously didn't take my coaching seriously and I'd rather spend time with a different student who's actually interested in getting better.

Ian
ps: The coach was not me, I'm talking a hypothetical here.
Performance Designs Factory Team

ianmdrennan

What happens when you coach a guy who is obviously in way over their head who thunders in and the family then sues you?

Sorry - if you want my coaching and my coaching tells you to upsize and you don't. Well then you obviously didn't take my coaching seriously and I'd rather spend time with a different student who's actually interested in getting better.

Ian

And that is perfectly fine Ian, but i would hope that if an experienced HP canopy coach had that opinion, then the DZCI would put a stop to said jumper using that canopy at their DZ.

Like I said, if, as a DZ you allow a practice, then support that practice with coaching and education.

It would appear that this DZ in question (and i have no clue what DZ it is) is allowing someone jump a canopy that many consider to be too small for the jumper. therefore provide educational support and coaching guidance in flying that canopy.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

ianmdrennan

Ian

Hey Ian,

Would you make the decision that he is in over his head based purely on 416 jumps and a Velocity 103, or would you let him do a jump and then decide?

~ CanuckInUSA

Squeak

Like I said, if, as a DZ you allow enable a practice, then support enable that practice with coaching and education.

It would appear that this DZ in question (and i have no clue what DZ it is) is allowing someone jump a canopy that many consider to be too small for the jumper. therefore provide educational support and coaching guidance in flying that canopy.

First of all, FIFY. But, from what I've seen in this thread, the best guidance this DZO, you or I can give would be a swift, firm unanounced kick in the ass followed by an "Oh Hell No!"

This jumper has already demonstrated his inability to listen. What good is coaching going to do when the student demonstrates the "knows better" attitude?

I do get what your trying to say and I appreciate your efforts to educate Up-n-Coming students. However, one of the first lessons a student has to learn is the meaning of the word NO!

Good on you for trying to keep this knucklehead alive long eonogh to figure it out on his own. The problem is, he'll read your post and interpret it to say that "he is good on the Velo".

As always, IMHO :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."