hcsvader

400 jumps velo 111

Sangi should be able to give you some valuable swooping tips ;)

hehe true that.

No matter how good you think you are, especially if you think that "I managed to live through Katana, so why can't I do the same with a Velo", an xbrace at 400 jumps is just not logical, it really isn't.

Onya boy!

Swooping / canopy piloting isn't like freeflying for example, where you can have a few skydives, but hours in the tunnel and still be awesome and safe in the sky.

Please, please, please, don't do what I did, because at this time in your career, the risk to reward ratio is not in your favor and is totally not worth it.. Sure you can "fly and land" your Velo, but for how long until something happens that you can't handle, because you were too confident and too proud to admit that you're simply not ready no matter what you say..

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4192725;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF578oSkrKk

I did have a lot of fun with what I did, but in the end, it wasn't worth losing my legs over it since I won't be able to have that fun anymore.. Do you want to be in my shoes?

Worst of all, don't ever think that that won't happen to you, that's exactly what I did.

Sangi

2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Thanks for the input mate.

I honestly doubt that Iain is going to listen anyone on here. It's not his style. Probably one of the reasons I like him so much. He is a fucking loose unit :P

Just hoping that someone with the actual authority to do something about it does.

Like I said Iain, I don't give a fuck if your mad at me about this. You have no idea how mad I will be if we don't get the chance to have another beer together someday.
We all knew Tim was going to go in someday, kinda sucks having the same thoughts about you >:(
It will be kind if difficult for you to do a naked belly flop into a water fountain while I am puking into it if you are broken B|

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I suggest he also changes the reserve. The type of reserve at this wing loading is particularly ridiculous

I had to go back and look.

A Raven Dash M loaded at almost 2:1.
Good luck with that if you ever need it. [:/]
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

would anyone reading this be willing to write a brief summary of the philosophy behind why you got into skydiving, and why you continue to do it? what is it from a purely emotive perspective that made you start doing this and why do you carry on?

Sure:

It was an opportunity to do something I had never done before and had always wanted to do.
As I was coming down under canopy from that first static line jump, the sensations were overwhelming. But the prevalent thought was "I have got to do that again."
So I did. It was a group "get together" sort of jump, and I did my first jump on the second annual one. We are planning the 13th annual jump for this summer. And in those 13 years, there are only 2 of us that kept going and became "real" skydivers.

I do it for a lot of different reasons. Some of them make more sense than others, but that's ok. The "adrenaline rush" is actually pretty low on the list. I don't need to scare the crap out of myself to have fun. The joy of being in the air, the sense of accomplishment when I achieve certain goals on a jump, the challenge of getting it right the next time when I don't. The camaraderie of a group of people unlike any others I have ever been a part of.
Those are more important than "cheating death." Because you can only cheat death so many times, and you never know which one will be the last until it's too late.

I have enough fun and excitement just jumping and flying the canopy that I don't need to push the envelope very hard. I fly a conservative wingloading, and keep my jumps within (or just a little bit beyond) my skill level. Including the canopy flight.

For me, the most important jump is the next one. And to get to that one, I have to make it through the one I'm on safely. So if I have any serious concerns, due to wind, my mental state or whatever, I will sit down.
I'd rather sit out a few jumps and be able to jump again tomorrow or next weekend or whenever, than have to make this jump and maybe sit out the rest of the season.

The other guy who was with the group I started with (and with whom I organize the group these days) made that mistake 2 years ago. He had to push it a little bit too hard. He had to take a little bit more risk. He had to get a little bit more rush on a jump. And flew his canopy into the ground. Broke himself pretty badly (at the end of May) and spent the rest of the summer either in a wheelchair or on crutches. He's still jumping, and has mostly learned his lesson. But he'll never get that season back, and will be feeling the damage he did for the rest of his life.
As a funny thought - He was having hip pain a couple months ago. He went to the doc and it seems he has a screw loose (in his pelvis). Everyone who knows him laughed and said something to the effect of "Yeah, we know that, but what was causing the pain?"
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I put about 40 270's on this velo 4 450's and a couple 90's. those are training jump numbers to anyone with a new canopy. I've got about 330 swoops total which is more than some people with 1000 skydives, I can comfortably stand up 270's in 25mph+ downwind. I was getting more out of the katana horizontal wise, but I'm not an eternity away from finding the timing on the rears on the velo which is going to sling shot it forward. I start a 90 from 570' and I could clear the landing area on the katana with it, 270 currently from 770'

I don't really care if you can outswoop me or not, because I do this for me. I like this canopy and I like swooping because of the mental discipline and work it requires, if something isn't hard work I tend not to enjoy it. I'm 99% certain I can hit gates at Deland on every jump so if want to come hang do some fun jumps it would always be cool to see you, and then out drink you obviously :0)

I like swooping because of the mental discipline and work it requires

Then why are you short-cutting your canopy progression? You're not putting in the work, you're tyring to skip right to the gravy.

See the 'hooked it low' thread in the swooping forum to understand the scope of the mistakes you're making. A guy 2x or 3x your jump numbers almost did himself in on a JVX 99 because he 'misjudged' a turn from 800ft.

800ft fucking feet and he could tell he was low until the last second, and narrowly missed damaging himself badly. I can only guess he had 500/600 swoops min, and he lacked the basic judgement and familiarity with the sight picture to see his problem any sooner than the last second.

He dug a couple chunks of meat from his leg and I think meesed up his knee. What that means is that if he 1/2 second slower on his reaction, he would have broken both of his legs. One full second and he would have broken his pelivs, suffered internal injuries, and probably done something to his spinal cord. Anything more than one second longer, and he would have been a stain on the asphalt.

What you 'think' about your skills is of no consequence. The assertion here is that you don't know enough to be doing what you're doing, so if you're going on what you think you 'know', you're already two steps behind the curve. You're not even close or anywhere near 'borderline' for doing what you're doing. Making the decision to fly this canopy, in that way that you are, with the experience that you have falls directly under the heading of gross negligence.

In a bittersweet turn of events, we have the Sangi story to use as a prime example. Look at his story, and his posts, see the things he was told and the things he replied, and then look at him now.

To his credit, and due to his HUGE balls, he's back here and willing to admit to his mistakes and try to presuade others not to do likewise. On top of that, you have a guy (Vader) who's posting out of genuine and personal concern for you, and said very kind and acring things about you and the friendship you share, and all you want to do is shit all over that.

My brief summary of the situation - lose/lose.

would anyone reading this be willing to write a brief summary of the philosophy behind why you got into skydiving, and why you continue to do it? what is it from a purely emotive perspective that made you start doing this and why do you carry on?

Sure~

Got into it because I lost a bet...

Stuck around for 38 years because of all the easy money & hot chicks!

~you're looking for the 'adventure' 'challenge' 'excitement' answer...all of that is available in this sport.

Wanna experience those things for a LONG time?

Slow the fuck down, approach it as a long-term investment in your happiness.

NOBODY is as good as they think they are, it's only logical to make a mature decision and step it down a notch when the majority of your peers give warnings and express concern.

Failure to do so is nothing new, I've seen that type of mentality come and go often during my involvement with the sport.

Usually when they 'go' it's on a stretcher...sometimes the face is covered, sometimes not.

One thing I HAVE noticed over the years though - usually when someone forewarned breaks themselves they mire in the woe is me self-pity.

Gotta kind of hand it to Sangi for not doing that, he acknowledges his errors and seeks to hold himself up as an example with hopes of preventing others from making the same mistakes.

I can't imagine the courage that must take...ya wanna talk about facing a challenge?

Look at that kid!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I started when I was 20. My first known exposure to skydiving was a fatality that was covered in either Time or Life Magazine -- it was a 12-year-old boy. Not sure why that made me decide I wanted to try it, but I don't remember any time after that when I didn't want to try it.

It's a part of me. I quit for 13 years when other stuff was going on in my life, and have made just about as many jumps after coming back as I made before quitting. For me, the canopy is a way to get to the ground -- and if it can turn fast then it's even better ('course, spirals aren't desirable when there are others in the air).

Jumping the smallest badass equipment you can only buys you respect from a small, and generally not mature, minority. Jumping the hell out of something bigger won't get you their respect, but it will get you just about everyone else's. The best way to be able to jump the hell out of something is to explore its edges -- you can't just go right down the middle of its performance envelope.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I put about 40 270's on this velo 4 450's and a couple 90's. those are training jump numbers to anyone with a new canopy. I've got about 330 swoops total which is more than some people with 1000 skydives, I can comfortably stand up 270's in 25mph+ downwind.

Sounds like you're ready to downsize.

I can comfortably stand up 270's in 25mph+ downwind

LOLOLOL.

That is all.

:D:D:D You beat me to it.

He should take up the 100m sprint, because Usain Bolt can only manage 23Mph:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

The best way to be able to jump the hell out of something is to explore its edges -- you can't just go right down the middle of its performance envelope.

True, but unless you already have thousands of jumps on a wide variety of high performance canopies, you have to start by flying a new canopy within its performance envelope and slowly work your way towards the edges.

If you wanted to explore the performance envelope of your running skills, you wouldn't just jump out of a car going 25 MPH. You work your way up to that.

Oh -- I'd agree with that entirely. It just takes a little less time to be able to explore the edges of a big canopy than a small one. Your chances of dying are smaller.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

yeah, you just skid out downwinders gently on your ass then pop up onto your feet at the end, make sure you have a nice smooth landing area though... :0) I've swooped my Velo at night, was a nice landing, and got 4 wingsuit jumps on it in an Alien G7, I'd say it makes a decent wingsuit canopy.

I actually learnt how to swoop in Lodi (surprised?!) with no altimeter because my Viso came off in freefall and I spent all my money on jump tickets, I think it helped train my eyes. I found flip flops with no tread were excellent because they sort of skied along the ground really smoothly. true story.

I already hit the deck at 60 mph in apopka. it was dumb as fuck I kept trying to find heading on fronts for some reason after getting blown off heading during the turn, it's a 12' wide landing area with buildings on one side and trees on the other. I thought downwinding it was a great idea. went through a bush bounced off the ground flipped through my risers, landed somehow on my feet and walked away. don't know how. Ate 4 aleve tablets had a cigarette had a few beers and 4 days later I did 6 270's to get it out of my system.

I freeclimb 1000' broadcast masts for a living to perform tower maintenance, sometimes in -20 covered in ice if that's what the weather gods give us. Swooping is the only thing that comes close to that amount of intensity. Rigging several tonnes of steel in that environment is a test of nerve too, or working in limited resource environments where you're dropped by helicopter and you're definitely going to die if you break yourself, like tower building in jungle environments for example, I've run crews doing that a couple of times.

In any case, bikes are just as dangerous as canopies, there is nothing like 180mph on a murdercycle. I'll probably die by tripping off a curb into a bus or something. what can I say, I like adrenalin, it chills me out.

I think one guy said something about being behind the curve in terms of canopy progression, you're right it's definitely going to take longer on this canopy. I've had some my best landings on this canopy though for some reason, it's got so much flare.

I could sit here trying to justify it but I can't be fucked.

have fun assholes, be safe. and thanks Rob. you're a legend.