1 1
gowlerk

Personal covid-19 stories (no politics please)

Many of us have been infected or have people close to us who have been. I'm starting this thread because some will be willing and wanting to share and write about what they have gone through. I'm hoping that this will be the correct forum to use for this and that it will not need to be moved to SC.

For me so far, my 86 year old mother who lives in a nursing home has now been infected. She is already in bad shape due to fairly advanced dementia. The home seems to be adequately staffed and it is allowing my sister in to see her. They are keeping her comfortable, but it is unlikely she will survive. I have not been able to go there for months. They only allow one person. 

Other than that I have a son and a daughter in law who are both currently recovering at home. 

Up until the last two weeks covid has been real, but far more abstract for me as I had not yet been personally touched. I'm sure it is the same for many others.

Edited by gowlerk

This covid thing is pretty weird. For myself I got a pretty bad fever at 4 Am in the morning in August on the day I jump. I stayed at home for 2-3 weeks after that. Pretty bad fever, muscle aches,fatigue and diarrhea. Fever was gone 2 days later but diarrhea lasted for a week probably. My parents were suprisingly fine and they only had very very mild symptoms(which was odd) Til this day I still don't know if I really got Covid or it was just a normal bug. I'm skeptical. Before I had the spinal surgery they tested me and the result was negative. 

My mon died this morning Things are pretty grim covid-wise here now. We have a pretty strict bunch of orders and no visiting is allowed so we can't even gather the family together. 3 weeks ago the nursing home got its first case. They only have 155 beds. At last report 2 days ago they had 72 residents testing positive along with 37 staff and 19 deaths. And counting.

Although in the end it was the virus which killed her, it was really the evil of Alzheimer’s dementia that took her away from us some time ago. She had a life long weakness for, and love of ice cream. Up until a couple years ago when she was beginning to be less independent but could still live on her own, I would take her grocery shopping. I liked to buy a pint of butter pecan, it was her favourite. I would sit down and split it with her as a treat we both could enjoy. It was almost like watching a child, or being one of two children enjoying it together.  It just so happens that I bought some and brought it home the on day before she died. It’s in the freezer unopened and I’m not sure if I can eat it now without breaking down. Maybe someday soon. I wish I could go out and find a child to share it with. But that is not allowed. Not even my grandson for now. But this to shall pass and brighter days are in the picture for the future.

IMG_0491-001.JPG

I'm so sorry; even when it might be time for them, it's not time for us, is it?

My husband now has two siblings who either have, or have had, COVID. Along with their immediate families, of course. So far one seems to have recovered, the other was just diagnosed a couple of days ago. No interaction with each other, just with the outside.

The recovered brother's daughter adopted a baby; they had to go stay in New Mexico for two weeks for the adoption period, and they caught it. Of course the grandparents came in to look at the baby as they returned the couple's 4-year-old son, who'd been staying with them.

The brother diagnosed yesterday lives in Oklahoma. 'Nuff said.

Both are in their 70's. For us, in some ways, the worst part is the mildness of the illness (well, so far for the current brother). Because it's making it seem just a little less important to keep isolating.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

I am very sorry to hear of the death of your mother.  Only this afternoon I found my daughter in tears, she had just discovered that her best friend's grandmother had died of Covid this morning.  She and her friends got together to help comfort their friend.
As you say brighter days are to come and I hope your grandson will be able to help you discover them.

• Like 1

My wife works one day a week at a winery.  One of the owners was exposed to Covid.  She got a call from them and was informed.  She was exposed to 4 of our friends plus myself.  She went and got tested and the results came back inconclusive.  She got tested again and came back positive.  We kept our distance and she slept in a tent in the back yard for 10 days.  The 4 friends plus myself all tested negative.  The County Health Dept. was informed and they checked up on her for the 10 days and with no symptoms, she was cleared.  Several weeks later got got the antibody test and it came back negative.  Who knows if she really had it, were the tests false positives, what about the antibody test?  There is a lot we don't know.  Her mom is 91 and in an independent living center.  They have taken all the precautions and so far everything has been ok with only one staff testing positive but they weren't at that facility.  Since early November, they have let my wife take her mom to doctors appointments so she has been able to see her mom a few times.  Thankfully we have been really lucky so far.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 10:25 PM, gowlerk said:

My mon died this morning Things are pretty grim covid-wise here now. We have a pretty strict bunch of orders and no visiting is allowed so we can't even gather the family together. 3 weeks ago the nursing home got its first case. They only have 155 beds. At last report 2 days ago they had 72 residents testing positive along with 37 staff and 19 deaths. And counting.

Although in the end it was the virus which killed her, it was really the evil of Alzheimer’s dementia that took her away from us some time ago. She had a life long weakness for, and love of ice cream. Up until a couple years ago when she was beginning to be less independent but could still live on her own, I would take her grocery shopping. I liked to buy a pint of butter pecan, it was her favourite. I would sit down and split it with her as a treat we both could enjoy. It was almost like watching a child, or being one of two children enjoying it together.  It just so happens that I bought some and brought it home the on day before she died. It’s in the freezer unopened and I’m not sure if I can eat it now without breaking down. Maybe someday soon. I wish I could go out and find a child to share it with. But that is not allowed. Not even my grandson for now. But this to shall pass and brighter days are in the picture for the future.

IMG_0491-001.JPG

My condolences.