3 3
timski

THE Vaccine

(edited)
13 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

37 years old? I though we infirm and elderly were up first. 

Different states have different policies. Like all aspects of the covid, nothing in this country is uniform about how we do anything with the handling of the virus and everything is make it up as we go.

Edited by Westerly

1 minute ago, Westerly said:

I am 30 and I got it. Different states have different policies. Like all aspects of the covid, nothing in this country is uniform about how we do anything with the handling of the virus.

Thank you for the valuable insights. You've learned much in a short time.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Thank you for the valuable insights. You've learned much in a short time.

Well I got it becasue I work in the medical field and so everyone in my unit regardless of age was offered it. But still, it doesent change the fact that the distribution to the general population is not uniform. And of course there is a black market for this stuff. Family hook ups and such. People selling the vaccine under the table for cash. It happens.

This is why I said SIGN UP FOR THE DAMN TRIAL! If you would have signed up, you would have the vaccination before any of us. There is nothing that has changed about the formula between phase 3 and now. It's still the same mRNA.

Edited by Westerly

7 hours ago, Westerly said:

This is why I said SIGN UP FOR THE DAMN TRIAL! If you would have signed up, you would have the vaccination before any of us. There is nothing that has changed about the formula between phase 3 and now. It's still the same mRNA.

What about the people who signed up for the trial and were given a placebo as part of the control group?  Assuming somebody was accepted into the trial, there's a 50% chance they got shot up with saline.  

I'm sure that that possible scenario was well communicated to all who participated in the trial, but it's a bit over-simplified to say if somebody wanted first crack at the vaccine they just had to sign up for a trial. 

8 hours ago, Westerly said:

I tried to sign up for the UK trial, but didn't meet the requirements (didn't live in the list of post codes/zip codes they were drawing participants from)

And even then there was going to be a 50% chance of being in the placebo. I'll get it as soon as it's offered, but I'm pretty far down the priority list.

(edited)
8 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

What unit are you in?

Cardiology lab. However, everyone in the hospital was offered it, even the admin staff. My area had too many doses and not enough demand actually. There still seems to be a really strong resistance against getting vaccinated with more than half of all people not interested in getting it. This article sums it up well:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/10/health/covid-19-vaccine-unused/index.html

That's why I think the vaccination should go straight to the public. Anyone who wants it, any age, they can get it. Then just prioritize high priority patients. Basically say, you can show up and wait in line and if there are doses left over, then the youngings can get it. Those who work in health care or are 65+ get to cut to the front of the line. Do it that way and not a single dose ever will have to be thrown away. Right now there are thousands of doses that went into the trash last week which is BS.

Edited by Westerly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

Cardiology lab. However, everyone in the hospital was offered it, even the admin staff. My area had too many doses and not enough demand actually. There still seems to be a really strong resistance against getting vaccinated with more than half of all people not interested in getting it. This article sums it up well:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/10/health/covid-19-vaccine-unused/index.html

That's why I think the vaccination should go straight to the public. Anyone who wants it, any age, they can get it. Then just prioritize high priority patients. Basically say, you can show up and wait in line and if there are doses left over, then the youngings can get it. Those who work in health care or are 65+ get to cut to the front of the line. Do it that way and not a single dose ever will have to be thrown away. Right now there are thousands of doses that went into the trash last week which is BS.

Couldn't agree more.

(edited)
8 hours ago, Westerly said:

Right now there are thousands of doses that went into the trash last week which is BS.

what the actual fuck.

My parents will probably be waiting for months and elsewhere in the world, there are doses in the trash because there's not enough demand??

Edited by olofscience
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, olofscience said:

what the actual fuck.

My parents will probably be waiting for months and elsewhere in the world, there are doses in the trash because there's not enough demand??

Think WalMart's distribution system.  They do their best to predict supply and demand but there's probably some Hong Kong Rubber Dogshit on the shelf somewhere.

Not sure where he's located.  There aren't nearly enough doses here.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Think WalMart's distribution system.  They do their best to predict supply and demand but there's probably some Hong Kong Rubber Dogshit on the shelf somewhere.

Not sure where he's located.  There aren't nearly enough doses here.

Poor example. He's located in our Trillion Dollar Military. Take a guess why it costs a Trillion Dollars.

Important to get your priorities right:

Florida announced Sunday that its large testing and vaccination site at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens — the recent scene of long lines of people awaiting vaccination — would shut down for much of today to make way for the College Football Playoff national championship game.

(edited)
7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Poor example. He's located in our Trillion Dollar Military. Take a guess why it costs a Trillion Dollars.

who me? I got my vaccination from a regular civilian hospital. anyway, this issue is widespread. look at the link I provided. There are many locations that are throwing supplies away. many people dont want it. some people are more afraid of the vaccination than the virus. I am not kidding. I was on loan to a different unit today and I had a doc tell me he wont take it until there is more info available about long term effects. a doctor told me that.... it's real. some people are scared and dont want it. but this should not come as a surprise considering how lackadaisical people are regarding covid in the first place. i guess if you dont give a shit about the virus in the first place, you're probably not going to be that interested in getting the vaccination.

Edited by Westerly

6 minutes ago, Westerly said:

who me? I got my vaccination from a regular civilian hospital. anyway, this issue is widespread. look at the link I provided. There are many locations that are throwing supplies away. many people dont want it. some people are more afraid of the vaccination than the virus. I am not kidding. I was on loan to a different unit today and I had a doc tell me he wont take it until there is more info available about long term effects. a doctor told me that.... it's real. some people are scared and dont want it. but this should not come as a surprise considering how lackadaisical people are regarding covid in the first place. i guess if you dont give a shit about the virus in the first place, you're probably not going to be that interested in getting the vaccination.

Which is why I agree with your position that the tranches of early recipients, as organized, is not the best solution.