kirrz

AFF solo exits - how to make yourself let go?

I thought I would post just because the last time I was having issues I did and you guys gave me awesome advice.

Today I went to do level 5. I had a JM I've never had before and he was really upbeat and got me really pumped and confident. I told him that I generally am hesitant to leave the plane and the JM always has to use a bit of force to pull me. We did the climb out and did my count and I let go when I was supposed to. So I'm falling and I suddenly realize no one is holding me. I turn around and my JM is a fair distance away so I get myself stable and fly towards him. Basically had the best jump ever, had heaps of fun and even a stand up landing.
Turns out my JM didn't expect me to let go and when I did he just let me fall to see what I'd do and I did fine.

As soon as I landed, he took me up on the very next load to do the same jump, but with a solo exit- level 6. So I haven't had time to think much about the jump, I get up there, do my climbout (on an XL), did my exit count, tried to let go.. but one hand retained grip so I kinda got a bit swung back onto the plane. So I stood there, tried again, but just couldn't let go. Now everyone on the plane is waiting, I turned to my JM and asked him to please just jump with me. He told me to go again and gave me a push. It was fine, apparently I did a tumble but it was fine, I got stable myself, flew to him and did fine.
I failed the jump though because of the exit.

I'm going back to try again tomorrow.. any wise words? I feel it's all ok, I can visualize it in my head, but I can't let go. I just can't when I'm up there.. AGHHH.

When I was doing AFF an instructor once told me "don't think about as jumping off the plane, Think about as stepping into the relative wind" it helped me, besides after you've got off the plane its unlikely anything scary will happen for at least 50 - 60 seconds so really you should be more scared when you pull ;). Also if you focus on the jump your about to do and doing a good exit instead of the fact that your about to jump from a perfectly servicable aircraft you won't get as much door anxiety.

it'll feel better and more natural every time you do it, good luck:)
I only trust two people in this world, one of them is me and the other one aint you.
Nicolas Cage as Cameron Poe in "Con Air"

it'll feel better and more natural every time you do it, good luck:)

Is that from the movie ConAir? ... anyways, yeah, try not to think about it. before its time to go, take a deep breath, and do it. For me, the fear comes when it is opening time. I worry that i will not react in time of a malfuntion, or not recognize a mal, maybe brain shut off.. but , its such a great feeling, that i keep going back.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

You are definately thinking too much! Break it down into steps so it becomes a procedure like in your FJC. Also don't grip the handle on the side of the aircraft, use an opend palm on the inside of the door, that way you can't keep holding on when you step off.

Just think you have basically done level 6 already because of your solo exit on level 5;)

practice on the ground . prsctice the exact exit your doing with the jm on the ground , when you get in the air muscle memory will be more likely to take over . and bring your outlook to a point that you can't wait to feel the floating free feeling you get ( mental imaging). If you focus on the beauty of the sport I think that will help . and breath.... slow deep breaths . you'll be fine.

people see me as a challenge to their balance

What are you afraid of? You do have a parachute on, right?

On a similar but different note, I used to be horrified of spotting when I was a student. I just knew if I stuck my head out of the plane I would fall out – which scared me to no end. I talked to an instructor about it and he told me, “well if you fall out we just start the skydive a few second early.” ;) For some reason that advice helped, I’ve never been afraid of spotting again.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Let's see... I can't remember which jump it was, but I think it was my first unlinked exit. Two of us out on the step of a 206. I start my count. Freeze halfway through. Start it again. Still freeze. Give my JM a "okay, I promise, I'll go this time" look and kind of made a face (and he made one back... I think just that little routine relaxed me), and FINALLY let go of the strut on my third exit count.

It happens. That was the first (and last) time I had total exit paralysis. Once I got out the jump was fine. Sounds like you're doing well in the air, but still getting used to the fact that letting go of an airplane in flight is just not a "natural" thing.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I did some really crappy SL jumps before switching to AFF. On my last SL jump I was actually taken back into the plane - with line - because I COULDN'T let go of the plane (and since I was standing on the step with both legs, I didn't climb far enough out and the plane had 3 jumpers in it, they couldn't just tip me off). On the next run the same almost happened, but I managed to let go.

This jump REALLY scared me, and I still remember the scared face of my instructor when he desperately tried to get me to let go of the damned plane.

So when I was doing my first AFF jump, my biggest fear was that I wasn't going to be able to let go of the plane. I told my instructors about it, and they were just calm and said, "well, give it a try, we'll make sure you jump". And so we did - I did my counting, and felt them hold my suit (and was sure they had forced me out) - and then we were in air. Meeep! Puh. Relief :-)

After the jump I asked how my exit had been, "you pushed me, didn't you?" "No, you almost went too early." Oh.

I have never had problems jumping out of the plane after that, but it took me about 30 jumps before I was able to look out of the door when I was sitting WELL into the plane, after 45 jumps I dared to jump out with my back first (I always dived before that), and after 50 jumps I was able to look down before jumping without feeling an urge of panic. This Easter I enjoyed 30 seconds at the edge of the door while looking down at the landscape under me :-)

So I stood there, tried again, but just couldn't let go. Now everyone on the plane is waiting, I turned to my JM and asked him to please just jump with me. He told me to go again and gave me a push. It was fine, apparently I did a tumble but it was fine, I got stable myself, flew to him and did fine.

I'm going back to try again tomorrow.. any wise words? I feel it's all ok, I can visualize it in my head, but I can't let go. I just can't when I'm up there.. AGHHH.

You stood there!?! Ya know, I don't like hanging on the side of the plane a whole lot. It tends to be cold and all that metal right there for my gear to interact with sucks. Forget that, once I get out, I want off! I have fallen off a C-182 at least 3 times when I lost my grip, that made for funny skydives. People looking down at me thinking.. "what the hell we weren't ready!" oh well they made do!

Tumbles out the door are pretty damn fun too! You got stable which is half the point of being a student skydiver. Learning how to get stable. If you can get stable and know how to pull then there is no reason to fear letting go of the plane anymore. I mean sure, when you have never jumped and don't know what to do, don't know the people you are jumping with, and generally are scared, yeah I can understand door fear. You on the other hand, know your instructors some (trust them to help you out / look after you) and you can get stable and pull all on your own.

Also, stop worrying about other people on the plane wanting to get out the door faster. You can worry about that later when you are jumping with them. Right now leave that to your instructor.

If you aren't letting go of the door its because you are afraid of something still. I don't really see a reason for you to be afraid. From your words you clearly know how to save your own life after you get out that door. Do you trust yourself yet?

(edit to add) Just don't worry so much about it. If you just keep skydiving it goes away anyways. So you might as well stop being afraid now instaid of waiting 10 more jumps. I mean really :):P
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I used to (and still do ;)) over analise things... On a similar student jump (hanging exit on a C-182) I looked at the wing and counted "ready-set-go" and just as I let go decided to adjust my body-position... but had already let go...

My instructor said it looked like I was trying to swim back up to the strut!! :ph34r:

After a second I recovered and just kept on with the dive laughing at myself.

Tips:
KNOW your gear (mental comfort)
Plan your dive step-wise
Execute each step one at a time
1/2 way through step 5 you will realize you are in freefall having a blast!!

We all went through it, you will be with the rest of us shortly.

Blue ones!
Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I'm not too far removed from my AFF, so I figured I would chime in.

Your situation is somewhat similar to mine. Instead of not being able to leave, I would get Door Fear and start getting really nervous, which was very common. You can ask anyone who's made a jump with me, i would be so nervous during the flight up.

Its definately gotten better with the more jumps I've got. Anyways, I forgot who said it, so forgive me, but the person(s) who said "don't think too much," - they're exactly right.
Don't over analyze the jump, its ok to be nervous during AFF, thats normal. But be confident in yourself and what you've learned so far. You've done that exit several times, so when you go, just close your eyes, take a few seconds before you go to relax.

Also, they were right too, don't worry aout people in the plane. That only complicates your skydive more. Leaving without them holding on to you is a big deal, as I remember my first few times doing so, but you get better and it won't be as weird the more you do it.

One thing I like to do and that I even did last week on my recurrency jump when I get nervous or think I can't leave is this.

First: On the way up, run through the skydive in your head. Go through the exit and the rest. See yourself leaving. Imagine the perfect skydive. Even do this on the ground. It'll make you more comfortable. Do this a few times..

Next: One of my friends who just got his AFF rating, always told me to think of something funny right as I'm getting out of the door. Think of a funny moment, stick your tongue out at your AFFI, it will completely relax you and de-tensify(?) your muscles.

Another thing you can do is think of a favorite song that motivates you and gets you pumped. I've done this and it works every time.

I know this is long so I apologize...but one last thing that worked was on my Level 7 graduation jump, I was nervous and we had to fly around to jump run again. In that time, I looked out of the door into the vast scenery around, the clouds, the mountains, everything....this may sound lame, but at that instant, i was so captured by the magnificence of everything, that any nervousness or anxiety I had about leaving left me instantly. The door opened, my favorite song clicked on, and out I went....

Those are some things to try...but find your own way to cope. :P

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Blue skies!
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Someone said "When I was doing AFF an instructor once told me "don't think about as jumping off the plane, Think about as stepping into the relative wind""

It is good advice.

I would say to not worry about it. You are standing on the outside of a plane 10000+ feet above the ground. That is not a normal place for a human to be. So fear is normal.

That being said, get over it. :P

Realize that the danger is below 1,000 feet, not on the plane. Just go.

I had a student I had to let run out of the plane a few times...Once they realized that it was easy and fun, they had no problems.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just jump, lol... I used to remind myself that the ground is really far away and no matter how hard I try, it's going to take me about a minute to hit it, so I might as well do something cool on the way down. :D

Being relaxed on exit and not "white-knucking" the airplane is a big part of a clean exit IMO.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I'm going back to try again tomorrow.. any wise words?

Try to jump from C-206 if possible. It is harder to climb out, but easier to exit.

Not likely. We have a Skyvan, Twin Otter, XL750, and a Turbine Beaver. No piston-engined jump aircraft :P.

Exits make me horny. I swear I'd be packing wood if the jumpsuits werent so tight. Its not jumping off at all, its flying out/off the door.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

Think up a keyword or phrase... Geronimo, seeyaa, byebye, etc. During the day, everytime you open a door, say the word or phrase, and then let go. Your mind/body will condition itself to react the same way every time you say the word or phrase.

We use this simple technique in other areas not related to skydiving, and it works well.

My first instructor told me,"When your in the door, take a moment, if you want, to take a deep breath and look around."

It's a beautiful sight hanging there on the side of the plane two and a half miles up in the sky. It's a view only birds got to enjoy.

Here's a good thread on dealing with anxiety:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1326776;search_string=fear%20abatement;#1326776

Cheers,

BW

I guess I'll be the latest to chime in. I got my A-lic last year and basically everything stated before was true for me.... The funny thing with me was more that i'd get tense, let go and be solid like a rock tumbling down the hill -- made for a very interesting spin with an AFFI one time.

I didn't really learn how to relax and keep myself from being psyched out until I got cleared to jump solo. At that point I started to take more time in the door to look around and it really calmed me down.

It also really helped me to jump multiple times a day to get the memory of what the sights&sounds are in the door to sink into my mind as not being scary.

Lastly, it appears (see all the previous replies) that this is very common at some level during an AFF progression. So to that, understand that it's normal, not a defect in your mind/body and that it passes with a bit of time. That said it's probably the correct response of your body to say "hey i don't think this is such a hot idea" and grip on when your first learning. (Mind eventually learns that it's fun and you do in fact have a parachute).

Ok this got longer than I thought... so let me conclude with another AFF phobia and see if anyone else had it:

When I was in AFF I had a fear of looking up during freefall in the same manner you would expect someone to have a fear of looking down but in my case it was up while I was falling... go figure (i got over it by the time i got my a-lic)

Cheers
Patrick
-Patrick

I think what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Dont forget that your brain still hasn't come to terms with what you doing yet!
The whole thing about skydiving is that its a mind game. :S
Trust in your training, equipment and the instructors, who would not let you get into trouble, in or out the plane.
The trick is to enjoy all moments of it. I get very nervous on the ride to altitude but when the door opens!..........oh yes.:D Good luck. you will be ok.:)

Positives -

1 - You are totally aware during the climb out and exit - of the people in the plane, you're communicating with the jumpmaster, how you feel on the step etc. GOOD FOR YOU that's much better than those students that kind of zone out.

2 - You remember that one hand let go or the other adn you 'barndoored' a bit, etc. more awareness, this is after the dive and recall. Even better.

- A big smile is in order. Take your arousal level down a notch and have fun. Try gripping with your fingers and NOT your thumb maybe (ask about it first) (as if your glove has the thumb sewn to the first finger.)

- I really like the "step into the wind" comments. I really like taking a deep breath (don't forget to exhale) and just exhaling and stepping into the wind and enjoying the scenery.

Positive mental practice. Visualize yourself just exiting cleanly into the wind.

Stop thinking DON"T forget to let go
Start thinking DO exit nice and clean and relaxed (with a smile)

(I know the positive visualization thing is corny, but it's true - every time you think about NOT letting go, you mentally practice holding on instead of releasing/exiting. And you do what you practice)
I changed the thread title to show how mentally you should be reviewing/practicing.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

(I know the positive visualization thing is corny, but it's true - every time you think about NOT letting go, you mentally practice holding on instead of releasing/exiting. And you do what you practice)

The classic example: don't think about a pink elephant. You can only think about the absence of something by picturing it. So, if you're worried about doing something wrong, picture doing it right. Over and over.

And smile, take a big breath, and come play in the sky :)

maybe i'm just a crazy fucker, and wih all my limited experience perhaps im wrong, but on my last jump when i leaned out of the plane and looked down i just got the biggest smile on my face, i was grinning like an idiot and even more so when we jumped, no i just imagine myself grinning like an idiot and jumping, felt so good, cant wait to get back home from this dump, NO SKYDIVING IN IRAQ!!! WAAAAAAA
Fly it like you stole it

I, too, tended to over-analyze the whole process of leaving the plane. The best cure for my "door fear" was when my Eloy coach (pre-A) on the ride up for one of our jumps suggested we hold hands, run to the door and do a spinning front summersault exit out the back of the SkyVan.

On the inside I'm thinking "are you out of your freakin' mind?!" On the outside, I must've smiled gamely and said, "OK" or some such lame response. :S

Anyway, we dove out the door, spun and he geeked me in mid-spin! My confidence soared and I was never afraid of the door after that.

I realize now (after several jumps with this great coach) that his strategy was to "up the ante" on each jump. Was he appealing to my ego or just distracting me from the actual jump -- who knows??
Anyway, he'd only tell me on the ride up what our dive flow would be -- usually with an extra twist thrown in. He probably had me pegged me right away as an "over-analyzer", so he would never clue me in until we were on the ride up. It must've worked because I'd spend the ride up trying to remember what he wanted us to do and rehearsing it in my mind. Pure genius -- in retrospect! B|

$.03 worth