gowlerk

Another police killing of a young black man

So it's begs to ask, why? Why start this thread? What drives you? What is the motivation? The "real" reason, other than the obvious, because it happened, and continues to happen (and will continue...).  May I suggest longer walks in the woods. ;) 

31 minutes ago, timski said:

So it's begs to ask, why? Why start this thread? What drives you? What is the motivation? The "real" reason, other than the obvious, because it happened, and continues to happen (and will continue...).  May I suggest longer walks in the woods. ;) 

Well, as long as people don't talk about it, it's in the background, and more acceptable. How about you state the obvious -- or do you assume the police are automatically telling the truth, and the "perp" automatically lying? The problem is that police do, in fact, lie sometimes. Too many cases where it was proven to be the case. Police also jump to conclusions

Wendy P.Y

1 hour ago, timski said:

The real reason? I looked for another thread first. But the only one I could think of that discusses these things lately was about protests. So I decided to start one with this subject at its core. And....the arthritis in my subtalar joint  makes long walks in the woods or anywhere no long an option for me. But thank you for the advice anyway.

1 minute ago, airdvr said:

I have a problem with the way these are tried in the Court of Public Opinion before there is any real evidence or investigation.  Hopefully there are body cams to review.

I understand that, but as Wendy and Ken say W/O the court of public opinion looking down on Dike, the lady of justice. The evidence of victims never makes it to the scales.

(edited)
1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Hopefully there are body cams to review.

There are not in this case. It was sheriff officers looking for a fugitive and a case of mistaken identity. It's hard to tell one black person from another sometimes. Do yourself a favour and read the story. I promise it is not too long. Here is the link again.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/07/943829901/police-in-ohio-say-slain-black-man-brandished-a-gun-family-says-he-held-a-sandwi

And another news story about it

https://us.cnn.com/2020/12/08/us/ohio-police-shooting-casey-goodson/index.html

Edited by gowlerk

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

I have a problem with the way these are tried in the Court of Public Opinion before there is any real evidence or investigation.  Hopefully there are body cams to review.

7 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I read the article when you posted it the first time.  So it looks like it will be a "he said, she said" type of thing now.

The original article stated quite clearly that there were no body cams.

And it's going to be far more of a "He said, They said, the Evidence says" type of thing.

One more time, a black man is shot multiple times in the back. 

How many more times will this have to happen?

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

That's odd, because in the past you have posted things along the lines of "why isn't the media covering this?  People need to know!"

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

That’s because, in the absence of public scrutiny, police departments have proven on an overwhelming scale that they have absolutely no interest in investigating or finding evidence against their own. Hell, it’s often a win just to stop them from burying it, let alone go looking for it like they would with anyone else.

No policeman would ever face trial in a real court if the court of public opinion did not get very loudly involved.

OTOH I rather enjoy when police publish video from body-cameras.

Video footage cuts through BS pretty quickly. Like the George Floyd case. George knew that the shop owner had just refused counterfit currency.

Why did George stick around in front of the store?

A professional forger/criminal would have promptly left the scene.