1 1
Nataly

Toxic positivity...

I needed this thread today!  I often struggle in my current job not just with being "good enough," but because I've been told I have a (totally bullshit) reputation with the higher headquarters as a "rock star."  So, of course, I try to live up to the fact that I was asked to come do this job, because they know they can count on me (okay, at least their confidence in my dedication is warranted).  The demands of the job are totally unrealistic for the number of people they put on the ground to deal with it all.  My ambassador tells me I'm doing well; boss at my own headquarters says the same.  And consciously I can look at these metrics and point to these unreasonable demands to illustrate that there is only so much I can do in a day (and can't physically be in three island countries simultaneously).  But that doesn't stop the insecurities from creeping in.  And Nat -- I do give myself permission to say aloud that I can only handle so much on my own, and that's okay.  

Sometimes, just hearing/reading about someone else dealing with similar levels of "this just sucks right now" is therapeutic.  So, THANKS Wendy & Nat! ^_^

13 hours ago, TriGirl said:

And Nat -- I do give myself permission to say aloud that I can only handle so much on my own, and that's okay.  

Sometimes, just hearing/reading about someone else dealing with similar levels of "this just sucks right now" is therapeutic.  So, THANKS Wendy & Nat! ^_^

Too right!!!! Sometimes all you can do is stop the boat from sinking...  Also, if you don't manage expectations, you better believe they will just keep piling it on...  And then they will be surprised if the quality of your work goes down and/or you just have a meltdown!!!   

You are just one person - there are always ways you could improve but you can't increase your output indefinitely.

1 hour ago, Nataly said:

Too right!!!! Sometimes all you can do is stop the boat from sinking...  Also, if you don't manage expectations, you better believe they will just keep piling it on...  And then they will be surprised if the quality of your work goes down and/or you just have a meltdown!!!   

You are just one person - there are always ways you could improve but you can't increase your output indefinitely.

And the other thing to remember is that everyone else is just as full of doubts sometimes as you are. They hide it, too.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 9:40 PM, wmw999 said:

And the other thing to remember is that everyone else is just as full of doubts sometimes as you are. They hide it, too.

Wendy P.

Hey Wendy - so true!  People don't typically show their vulnerability.  And with good reason, too...  Because their reputation / job / etc depend on perceived/projected strength, so it's not always possible or desirable to share everything...

Saw a really lovely post on LinkedIn (if I find it again, I will post here)...  The guy did a short video to explain that he was getting more and more feedback from people who were feeling inadequate & stressed about not being as productive as they should during the lockdown... 

And he said yes, of course people are feeling this because of the CONSTANT positivity on social media...  He stressed that people post the best 5% of themselves on Insta / Facebook / LinkedIn, etc...  So it's wrong and unhelpful to compare your "shitty" 95% to someone else's top (and exaggerated) 5%...  And let's face it, people share a heightened, false, exaggerated, AMAZING image of themselves...  It's not real.  Or at least it's quite far from the WHOLE truth.

It's kinda sad that it needs to be said at all, but it was on-point and came at a great time...  ^_^