Chinese Cultural Appropriation

I come down hard of the side of the Koreans in this particular dust-up. China isn't just trying to claim lands that aren't their own, but other cultures as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/01/stealing-our-culture-south-koreans-upset-after-china-claims-kimchi-as-its-own

According to the article, UNESCO gave full recognition of the dish to Korea years ago. Maybe this is a silly thing to get upset about, but not in the context of Korea - it's part of the national identity, and transcends social classes. I wonder what Piglet makes of this?

(edited)
12 hours ago, gowlerk said:

China and the Han Chinese are definitely working to displace and replace other local people and cultures wherever they can. How do you feel about the plight of the Uighurs? 

It's a shame but I am more concerned about the Tibetans. The Han are trying to erase them. Further, the PRC has basically claimed the entire Pacific Rim as their own turf.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, markharju said:

It's a shame but I am more concerned about the Tibetans. The Han are trying to erase them.

As they are with the Uighurs. And are much closer to seceding. But Tibet and it's Buddhism has a certain appeal to our western minds. The Uighurs are just a bunch of Muslim natives no one cares about.

39 minutes ago, jakee said:

So given what he has to say, why are you more concerned about the Tibetans?

A state with an oppressed ethnic minority versus a foreign state in jeopardy of being erased.

1 hour ago, markharju said:

A state with an oppressed ethnic minority versus a foreign state in jeopardy of being erased.

If you're worried about the foreign state of Tibet being erased you're 60 years too late. Tibet is an autonomous region of China - the exact same type of political entity as Xinjiang, which is also an autonomous region of China.

Since that is the case, why are you more concerned about the Tibetans?

(edited)

I worry about Tibetans because they live in the water-tower of South-East Asia.

Han Chinese are rapidly-mining lithium from Tibetan dry lakes. Since Chinese mining practices are quick-and-dirty, they contaminate Tibetan drinking water. If a few thousand Tibetans are poisoned by contaminated drinking water, no one seems to care.  It is only a matter of time before those same pollutants flow down into the Indus, Ganges, Irrawaddy, Mekong, Yellow, Pearl, etc. rivers.

All those low-cost lithium batteries are only "clean" from the perspective of western consumers. The pollution caused by electric automobiles just settles on the other side of the planet. ... specifically the drinking water of billions of Asians.

Edited by riggerrob
add a sentence

5 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

The pollution caused by electric automobiles just settles on the other side of the planet. ... specifically the drinking water of billions of Asians.

Just for fun I Googled "lithium mining". Much of it comes from Western Australia, There are large deposits in Nevada, Mexico, and Quebec. Bolivia has a world leading mine. Africa is another source. Chinese ownership dominates the lithium battery supply chain. I'm sure you are correct about them making a mess of it.