davidfreefly

Herniated Disc. Which canopy??

I have more than 3500 jumps, D license. Aff and Tandem instructor. I am jumping a velocity 103 wingloaded 1.9

6 months ago i was diagnosticated with an herniated disc c5-c6 and Osteophyte in c4

The doctor told me to stop jumping for a while. Now I am planning to begin jumping again in August, but my doctor said to avoid hard openings.

I want to hear opinions in what would be the best canopy for me? Of course i will jump at my own risk. I know the risks of jumping with cervical problems

I just want to hear your advice.

Which one, with which lines would give a softer opening for my neck?

Blue skies friends!!

I have had spectra and dacron lined Aerodyne pilots.

Neither has ever given me a hard opening. They have a nice gradual opening and a long snivel. I would say the the snatch force and opening shock remains consistent through out the opening.

My second rig currently has a Dacron Pilot 140 in it.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

you will get a few Choices on here.
Bottom Line is any canopy can open hard and Smack you. I would suggest what ever canopy you choose make extra sure you position slider correctly and have a good secure Line stowage with good Bungees. that will reduce the risk even further.

my Personal Choice would be a Spectre from PD

I've had nothing but beautiful openings on my Safire 3. If you explain your problem to NZ Aerosports, they might be able to modify the slider for you to slow the opening down a bit more. But you'd want to plan for openings that last for 1000 feet or possibly even a little bit more.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I jumped on Storm and Spectre. For your needs, Spectre would be much better. Opens softer. PD says that in their flight characteristics.

I have 900 jumps on Spectre 190 with Dacron lines, and slider from Spectre 230. Plus brass slider grommets (some people say they help, too). 27-inch collapsible F-111 PC for smaller canopies would be the best.

jayach05

If you want soft openings, I would go with a Katana. They open like butter on every jump. The only downside is that it's not a great work canopy IMO if you have long spots exiting with tandems or students.

Plus, Dacron is not an option on it (mayby only by some custom order).

davidfreefly

Is strange, i wrote an email to PD and this is what they answered:

A Storm with Dacron lines would probably be our softest opening canopy,

Read the "Storm Flight Characteristics" and "Spectre Flight Characteristics" PDFs from the PD website, and compare the Openings description.

I had a L4/L5 herniated disc and was jumping a Katana at the time. I was jumping two weeks after I did it, had to have my teammates put my rig on for me because I didn't have the flexiblity to do it myself.

Doctors also told me to give up weightlifting and 2 years later I won a powerlifting competition. Ideally find a doctor that knows the sport, which might be hard.

My Storm 150 opened better than my Pilot, but I could never land the damn thing![:/]

"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

skydiverek

I jumped on Storm and Spectre. For your needs, Spectre would be much better. Opens softer. PD says that in their flight characteristics.

I have 900 jumps on Spectre 190 with Dacron lines, and slider from Spectre 230. Plus brass slider grommets (some people say they help, too). 27-inch collapsible F-111 PC for smaller canopies would be the best.

Just want to confirm what other Spectre owners are saying about their openings. I've got a Spectre also and have never had a hard opening. It has always been consistent with a 600 foot snivel and generally on heading.

I'd recommend that canopy.