skydiverek

CYPRES activated by swooper: crazy video

johnmatrix

***What is the difference between a multimode Cypress, where the user accidentily selects the wrong mode, with an Argus where you can make the same mistake?

The Cypres cuts the loop when it fires?

hahaha

The ability to make a mistake on the mode setting is the same.

My comment was towards those talking about hitting the firing parameter on a speed cypres with the new generation of canopies. The cypres in the speed setting will still activate the reserve if you hit the firing parameters after your main canopy opens. The argus goes into standby after the main canopy opens in swoop mode.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Yes you are right.
I couldn't resist checking the manuals :-)

For Cypres:
"It will activate the release unit when it detects a
rate of descent higher than approx. 102 mph (approx.
46 m/s) at an altitude below approx. 750 feet
(approx. 225 meters) above ground level (AGL).
Unlike the Expert CYPRES, the Speed CYPRES
ceases operation below approx. 330 feet (approx.
100 meters) AGL."

"The Argus releases at 820 Ft. (250 meters) and below if a speed is reached equal or higher than 78
mph (35 m/sec). The Argus stops monitoring and goes to stand-by after it detects an opened
parachute."

102 mph is fast, but so is the newest generation of ultra fast swoopmachines. I can imagine that between 750 and 330 feet, they reach vertical speeds that are close to the firing parameters of the speed cypres... Is that correct? Or are they still a lot slower than that?

Is there a reason why setting your offset to +1500' wouldn't fix the issue with a cypres?

I was thinking about this the other day. Cypres says it won't fire below 130', so if I understand it's manual that'd mean at 1370' it'd effectively shut off.

A lower than planned hop n pop might fuck up your day, although tbh if you're worried about firing an AAD in a swoop, I'm betting you're not planning to take that rig terminal

richoH

Is there a reason why setting your offset to +1500' wouldn't fix the issue with a cypres?

I was thinking about this the other day. Cypres says it won't fire below 130', so if I understand it's manual that'd mean at 1370' it'd effectively shut off.

A lower than planned hop n pop might fuck up your day, although tbh if you're worried about firing an AAD in a swoop, I'm betting you're not planning to take that rig terminal

1370? Don't you mean 1630?

Yup. Math is hard.

But quoting your earlier post:

Unlike the Expert CYPRES, the Speed CYPRES
ceases operation below approx. 330 feet (approx.
100 meters) AGL."

I guess the speed cypress is 330' instead so it'd actually be 1850.

Assuming that's accurate, you could set the cypres to +700', give yourself no chance of an AAD fire below 1k, and still have pretty low odds of a two out due to a low deployment (You probably shouldn't be taking your ultra performance wing to the basement).

As with all things though, it's a trade off.

Richo, you do bring up a very interesting point.

This only works if the bottom end operation (i.e. speed cypres ceases operation below 330') moves with the armed/fire offset. Would be interesting question for mfg.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Ok, so there's a question is about the permanent firing altitude offset on the Cypres 2, the "User-selected activation altitude" in the manual. The current one says:

The CYPRES 2 disarm altitudes of approx.
130 ft (40 meters), [approx. 330 ft (100 meters)
on a Speed CYPRES 2], do not change
with user-selectable modification.

(Note that this is about the firing altitude offset A1 to A9, not the one jump at a time landing altitude offset - the "Dropzone offset" in the manual. Presumably that offset would bump up the no-fire zone close to the ground, as the expected ground level is moved up. But at one jump at a time, that's inconvenient.)

Yup, I haven't been back to this thread in a while, but I spoke to a rep at cypres about this.

The short version is:

The landing offset needs to be set before every jump (Which I did not know, and have made multiple jumps at DZs with landing offsets, so I'm pretty glad I sent that email!)

The firing offset does not affect the lower end of the window, so changing it does nothing for this specific goal.