1 1
brenthutch

Firearm salesman of the century

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

First of all the AR is not a cartridge, if you don’t wish to be called uninformed, it would help to have a grasp on the basics.

The criteria for a mil spec M4 are DIFFERENT than a commercial AR.  Here is a factory AR, for less than $900, shooting factory ammunition and capable of shooting sub MOA groups.  No gunsmithing, no hand loads. (sub MOA = toasting a bagel at 500 yards)
 https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/review-ruger-ar-556-mpr/327219

You seem to be making the claim that the AR is not a suitable hunting platform as it is not available in calibers powerful enough or capable of accuracy precise enough for the task.  I think I have proven, beyond a doubt, that you are incorrect on both accounts.

After about a dozen posts and another 1/2 dozen links you finally found a supporting fact for one of your representations. Assuming its a 4.9" bagel(.98 MOA). Congratulations.

You still haven't admitted that the AR semi-auto action is 1/2 as accurate as equivalently priced factory bolt action rifles. Except you edited that representation from your posts. Never mind.

"You seem to be making the claim that the AR is not a suitable hunting platform as it is not available in calibers powerful enough or capable of accuracy precise enough for the task.  I think I have proven, beyond a doubt, that you are incorrect on both accounts."

No I responded to You on those issues many posts ago:

You said "Wrong on many levels.  First, The .223 Remington is a rifle cartridge, originally developed in 1957 as a commercial hunting bullet for small mid-western varmints; with the first rifle chambered for it coming out in 1963. It has continued to be a popular civilian hunting cartridge.  The 5.56 is a slightly modified .223 in fact they can be used interchangeably in most rifles.  The.223 Wylde splits the difference.

Second, the AR platform can accommodate a variety of calibers barrel length and optics by swapping out the upper receiver.  From the modest .22lr to the massive .510 Winchester Short Magnum. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR_platform_cartridges"

I said in response; "Right. The .223 is second in popularity to the .22-250 for varmints. Varmints being gophers to coyotes. Its also the minimum caliber for deer in many US states although many define it as center-fire minimum."

Even when I agree with you, you can't seem to keep track of the holes in your logic. It seems as if you're so set to refuse that you have made a mistake in syntax or fact. In premise or train of thought. That .... never mind.

I noticed you never addressed the substance of your thread nor any link, nor the unsubstantiated references to Biden as a salesman. For guns or ammunition sales in 2020 or the 2020 election cycle. You reference three or more of your posts which have ALL stated that Covid and not Biden are responsible for increased gun sales. Covid and lockdowns responsible for back-orders and shortages in delivering guns and ammo.

Wanna start?

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I agree Jerry.

The specter of the impending Biden administration (and possible Democrat control of both houses) has struck fear in the hearts of many in the gun owning public.  They are just talking appropriate steps to protect their interests in the unlikely event Biden will keep his word and fulfill his campaign promises.  Unlike the irrational run on toilet paper this one is based in the President Elect’s own words.

Fear of what?

That the 'scary Democrats are coming for their guns?'

The only thing Biden has said he wants to do is to put military style semi autos under the NFA.

So why is there zero ammunition on the shelves? 
Why are there no pistols in the display case?
OTOH, there were a bunch of AR platform rifles.
I was at a Fleet Farm the other day, and the level of 'gone' was interesting.

Which of the "President Elect's own words" justify that? 

30 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

After about a dozen posts and another 1/2 dozen links you finally found a supporting fact for one of your representations. Assuming its a 4.9" bagel(.98 MOA). Congratulations.

You still haven't admitted that the AR semi-auto action is 1/2 as accurate as equivalently priced factory bolt action rifles. Except you edited that representation from your posts. Never mind.

I noticed you never addressed the substance of your thread nor any link, nor the unsubstantiated references to Biden as a salesman. For guns or ammunition sales in 2020 or the 2020 election cycle. You reference three or more of your posts which have ALL stated that Covid and not Biden are responsible for increased gun sales. Covid and lockdowns responsible for back-orders and shortages in delivering guns and ammo.

Wanna start?

First of all, I could have posted dozens of links to factory ARs capable of sub MOA accuracy.  I just linked to one that I was considering to purchase.

Second, with regard to hunting, the difference between 1MOA and .5MOA is a distinction without a difference. 

Third, if COVID-19 was the sole reason for the spike in demand for firearms and ammunition, we should see demand drop precipitously as the vaccines comes online.  If is due to Biden, we will see demand remain at high levels.  I guess we will find out in two months.

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Fear of what?

That the 'scary Democrats are coming for their guns?'

The only thing Biden has said he wants to do is to put military style semi autos under the NFA.

According to him and his, he wants to ban (or restrict) semi automatic firearms with detachable magazines.  That would be the vast majority of firearms currently being sold.

Really, if we want to save lives, we should go after the firearms that are used in most killings.  But no, Biden would rather virtue signal to his brainless flock, and that makes me sad.

Edited by brenthutch

On 12/5/2020 at 8:38 PM, brenthutch said:

It is a versatile tool and can be used for many things.  Unlike handguns which are almost exclusively used to shoot Homo Sapiens.  ( Folks hunt game with ARs nobody hunts game with a Glock.)

70% of firearm deaths are from pistols, 8% from shotguns and rifles of all types.  You tell me which platform is used to “hunt Homo sapiens”

"AR" comes from the name of the gun's original manufacturer, ArmaLite, Inc. The letters stand for ArmaLite Rifle — and not for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."

ArmaLite first developed the AR-15 in the late 1950s as a military rifle, but had limited success in selling it. In 1959 the company sold the design to Colt.

In 1963, the U.S. military selected Colt to manufacture the automatic rifle that soon became standard issue for U.S. troops in the Vietnam War. It was known as the M-16.

There you go, you know, for historical reasons. The company answered the call by the U'S. Gov't. which in war time is eager to develop a better bean launcher... 1911 also saw a nice design or two spring up... 

So to sum it up, the AR platform was solely developed as a man killer.  Argue it as you may, history doesn't lie. Argue the caliber all day long!   

2 hours ago, timski said:

So to sum it up, the AR platform was solely developed as a man killer.  Argue it as you may, history doesn't lie. Argue the caliber all day long!   

So was the Mauser, the Henry Repeating Rifle, the Sharps breach loading rifle and for that matter the Brown Bess musket. What’s your point.

35 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

So was the Mauser, the Henry Repeating Rifle, the Sharps breach loading rifle and for that matter the Brown Bess musket. What’s your point.

In your opinion, are there any firearms developed for any purpose that should not be available for general purchase and use in America?

I always love these arguments.
1: "It's a HUNTING RIFLE!  Used for hunting and self defense.  Why are you LYING about it being a military rifle?"
2: "Here's the proof that it was designed as a military rifle, is used primarily by the military and is listed as a military rifle."
1: "So what?  What's your point?"

1 hour ago, billvon said:

1: "It's a HUNTING RIFLE!  Used for hunting and self defense.  Why are you LYING about it being a military rifle?"
2: "Here's the proof that it was designed as a military rifle, is used primarily by the military and is listed as a military rifle."

I love the “was designed to KILL!!!” argument :rofl:

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

In your opinion, are there any firearms developed for any purpose that should not be available for general purchase and use in America?

I think we have a good balance now (although I think suppressors should be available without the $200 tax stamp and six month waiting period) The French can buy them without restrictions and where they are legal, there are few/no problems with them.

Edited by brenthutch

8 hours ago, billvon said:

He really is too easy! lol.  Oh and I LOVE French cuisine.   

Late to the party but my 2c incoming:

Given that a significant portion of the most recent upswing in weapon purchases has been from first time owners, would it not be more logical to attribute their sales to Trump?

It's a fringe but growing voice amongst *his* supporters that are the ones openly calling for civil war and armed insurrection - more likely that these new gun purchases are leftists and moderates preparing to defend themselves from the wackos.

Gun industry analysts project that a Biden-Harris administration next year would heighten demand for more firearms and ammunition, even if Republicans maintain control of the Senate and gun control legislation proves difficult to pass.”

But ever since Joe Biden was named the presumed presidential-election winner, we have seen a reaction in the marketplace, and it hasn’t subsided at all.”

Gun sales surged this year. Some current buyers say they’re concerned President-elect Joe Biden will pursue laws making it tougher to buy weapons.”

The prospects for Vista Outdoor could remain strong going forward, with Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden appearing to be on the verge of clinching a victory in the Electoral College. His gun control plans could fuel sales for guns and also ammunition, putting Vista in a good position, said Rommel Dionisio, gun industry analyst for Aegis Capital, in an investor’s note. “
Election years are always big for gun sales — if Democrats are expected to win.”

I wonder if Hunter owns any stock in gun and ammunition makers?

21 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Gun industry analysts project that a Biden-Harris administration next year would heighten demand for more firearms and ammunition, even if Republicans maintain control of the Senate and gun control legislation proves difficult to pass.”

But ever since Joe Biden was named the presumed presidential-election winner, we have seen a reaction in the marketplace, and it hasn’t subsided at all.”

Gun sales surged this year. Some current buyers say they’re concerned President-elect Joe Biden will pursue laws making it tougher to buy weapons.”

The prospects for Vista Outdoor could remain strong going forward, with Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden appearing to be on the verge of clinching a victory in the Electoral College. His gun control plans could fuel sales for guns and also ammunition, putting Vista in a good position, said Rommel Dionisio, gun industry analyst for Aegis Capital, in an investor’s note. “
Election years are always big for gun sales — if Democrats are expected to win.”

I wonder if Hunter owns any stock in gun and ammunition makers?

Seriously man, who gives a fuck if alarmists are alarmed? Then there is this Gun sales surged this year. Some current buyers say they’re concerned President-elect Joe Biden will pursue laws making it tougher to buy weapons.” So are we talking Guns or Weapons? Why? Look, I'm neither anti gun or anti weapon. Also, I can not help but notice that the demise of the Trump Presidency has had a salutary effect on assault type weapon mass shootings. I'm not sure how that fits in but maybe those Gun industry analysts can clarify things for me. Then there is Hunter Biden. Are we all to believe that our new most anti gun president in the universe named his son Hunter? I guess that makes sense. In the meantime, I'm curious as to why, no matter if they aren't causing problems in Germany, you think we need free access to silencers.

9 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Being a good neighbor on the firing line, hunting without hearing protection, recoil moderation and reduced muzzle jump to name a few.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/155/text

Oh, come on Brent. You wear goggles and hearing protection on a firing line unless you are a doof. Hunting with hearing protection is stupid. You know, like the ability to hear: "Please don't shoot, I'm your Mom!".  Muzzle jump is a sound fear/ recoil fear reaction. Wear your hearing protection when practicing and learn to take the recoil. Try again.

My muzzle break nearly eliminates felt recoil by deflecting the muzzle blast to the side/rear.   Even with eye and ear protection, it feels like getting slapped in the face if one is on either side. Folks DO hunt with active hearing protection. (Speakers in the earpiece transmit sound just not beyond a certain db in fact one may turn up the volume to be able to hear sounds inaudible to the unaided ear).

A better question is why shouldn’t I be able to readily purchase one?

Edited by brenthutch

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aaronsmith/2020/12/01/fbi-background-checks-for-guns-surged-41-in-november-accelerated-by-biden-victory/?sh=614db9915627
“Federal background checks for gun purchases rose 41% in November year-over-year, propelled by the election of President-elect Joseph Biden”

nuff said

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

The “Biden Boom” continues 

December 2019 FBI gun purchase background check: 2,936,984

December 2020: 3,937,066

It's not a Biden Boom. It's a freaked out ding-a-ling boom. Whatever you do don't look under the bed.