David Wang

EPs for shoulder dislocations during a skydive

Note!!!: People's experience levels are different, please please talk to instructors. Do NOT follow what I have written down.  I'm going to talk to my instructors as well and analyze everything to see if there is anything that needs to be changed!!! This post just gathers some of my thoughts!!!

Hi everyone, pretty sure when I get back in the sky I need to have a "game plan", just in case if it ever happens again. (Will definitely get my shoulder fixed and get doctor's approval before getting back in the sky) below is my version of game plan, and I post it here for any additional insights and advice! Thanks and Blue Skies!!!

I am a jumper who only has 24 jumps, so I think I will mostly do solos or 2-way coaching for a while. So this set of EPs is for myself doing 2-ways or solos. 

Emergency Procedures(EPs) for shoulder dislocations during a skydive.

Scenario One: Right shoulder dislocation in freefall (or on exit):

1. Wave off and signal the other jumper if I’m doing 2-way

2. Pull the reserve handle at designated pull altitude(DONT WAIT OR DELAY), or pull at 500ft higher than the designated altitude.

3. Landing: I have figured out two methods to land. 

First method: keep the brakes stowed, left arm steer the reserve using left rear riser. If I want to turn right 90, turn left 270 degrees. (But I think it's probably good to avoid this kind of big turn) Watch the traffic while turning. Avoid traffic and fly a left hand side pattern if possible. No flare, hard PLF.

Second method: release both brakes using one arm, both toggles in left hand. (How to turn? I haven't figuerd this out yet) one hand flare, left hand pull down as hard as possible in front of my body, PLF.

Scenario two: left shoulder dislocation in freefall(or on exit):

1. Same step: Wave off and signal the other jumper if I’m doing 2-way

2. Right hand pull the main at designated pull altitude(DONT WAIT OR DELAY), or pull at 500ft higher than the designated altitude. There will be a potential problem: if there is anything wrong with the main and I need to cut away, I will use only right hand to cut away. (Different DZs teach different EPs, I have learned to cut away both hands and pull the reserve both hands at Perris) RSL deploys the reserve. After cutaway, right hand should try to pull the reserve handle.

There is another way: right hand go striaght to reserve in freefall. (I need to practice this in the harness room before getting back in the sky. I never tried this before)

3. Landing methods are the same, two methods mentioned above. (Second method: release both brakes using right arm, both toggles in right hand, right hand flare, PLF)

Scenario three: Both shoulders dislocated in freefall(or on exit)

Honestly, I think i'd be screwed if this really happens. I'd either try to let other jumpers pull for me or wait for the AAD to fire. Even then, I have no control of either the main or the reserve, probably fly straight to the ground, hope for the best and hard PLF. However, I think this kind of scenario is highly unlikely

Some thoughts:

There are a lot of unpredictable factors. The size of the landing area is a factor too. So be familar with the landing area is very important. Jumping at a bigger DZ may also help too. When I wrote down the EPs I assumed that reserve opens perfectly. I choose to pull at the designated altitude or just 500 ft higher because of the wind. If winds are strong that day I don't really want to pull high. Are there any other ways to land? Are there any other scenarios? Thanks in advance for all the insights and advice. (Oh shoot, it'd be a different set of EPs if using left side BOC)

Blue Skies!!!

Edited by David Wang

I'm not sure about your actual question, but I think it's worth mentioning that you might consider changing your rig to a left-handed deployment. Even if you get full range of motion back, you may end up with an increased risk of dislocating the same shoulder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nwt said:

I'm not sure about your actual question, but I think it's worth mentioning that you might consider changing your rig to a left-handed deployment. Even if you get full range of motion back, you may end up with an increased risk of dislocating the same shoulder.

Thanks! I will definitely switch to left hand deployment! 

Years ago one of my instructors had his right shoulder dislocate in freefall.  He pulled his reserve and did not unstowe the brakes.  He steered toward a large open area and landed doing a PLF holding his right arm with his left.  I would suggest on a regular jump trying to flare using both toggles in one arm.  If you can't do it, unstowing the brakes may not be the best idea.

If there's an emergency like that, you pull. Either main or reserve. Simple. 

Sure, if your friend is right next, turn around, track for 2-3 sec and pull then. But you want parachute above your head ASAP.

What if you make your shoulder worse during signaling or waving? What if you flip on your back and can't go back? What if you take it down to "designated pull altitude" but can't pull then?

There's a problem, you work on it right away and you do anything you can to pull. IT'S AN EMERGENCY.

The higher you are the better you can figure out your landing options.

You can flare with one hand holding 2 toggles, it's pretty difficult but doable. I've been testing that up high and preparing for such landing scenario. You may not be able to get them toggles all the way down, but you can at least do 50% of the flare which should be enough to plane out and do decent PLF landing.

Edited by CoolBeans

I have rotator cuff issues on both sides. No tearing, no surgery, just PT to keep it under control. So I've thought about this sort of situation a bit.
A couple random thoughts:

As noted above, I'd pull high. While not a 'best idea' under normal circumstances, in an emergency you want to 'end the skydive now'. Also, if you are in a bigger group (presuming everyone is on level) you are simply 'pulling in place'. No need to track away, you'll get vertical separation (again, not what you'd want to do in anything but an emergency).

If it's my left shoulder, I'd go for the main. I know it far better than my reserve. 

At minimum, I'd unstow one brake. I can use that to turn in either direction (basically flat turns) and it's at half brakes (partially flared) to go straight. I could PLF from that without too much trouble. 
The idea of unstowing both brakes and using them in the same hand is also an option. The swoopers call it 'switchblade'. But it's a pretty advanced technique. You turn by moving the hand to the side (outside of the turn you want to make). It makes for flatter turns becuase you are pulling down on both toggles, just one more than the other. You flare by pulling both down to your waist.

But, again, it's a pretty advanced technique. I've tried it a few times up high and it's not all that easy to do. There was a jumper who managed to fracture her humerus (upper arm) on the way out the door. She tried using the 'both in one hand' technique and ended up breaking her femur on landing. 

Leaving both brakes stowed and using both harness & rear riser is also an option. That give less manuverability, so it's a trade off. 

Landing area is likely to be a problem. Any normal pattern will be difficult. I'd pick a big open area that has good access to roads. I don't know if I'd be going back to the DZ or loaded directly into an ambulance, so that's more of a priority than making it back to the DZ. 

Depending on how the DZ is laid out (obstacles & hazards around the landing area), I might deliberately not land there. For example, the bigger DZ I usually jump at is right next to a freeway. Landing east and overshooting (or west and coming up short) would put me on the freeway. Bad place to be. There are plenty of farm fields around, so (again depending on the situation at the time) I might pick one of the fields over the DZ. 

3 hours ago, johnhking1 said:

Years ago one of my instructors had his right shoulder dislocate in freefall.  He pulled his reserve and did not unstowe the brakes.  He steered toward a large open area and landed doing a PLF holding his right arm with his left.  I would suggest on a regular jump trying to flare using both toggles in one arm.  If you can't do it, unstowing the brakes may not be the best idea.

I will definitely try that out up high during a jump!! Thanks

3 hours ago, CoolBeans said:

If there's an emergency like that, you pull. Either main or reserve. Simple. 

Sure, if your friend is right next, turn around, track for 2-3 sec and pull then. But you want parachute above your head ASAP.

What if you make your shoulder worse during signaling or waving? What if you flip on your back and can't go back? What if you take it down to "designated pull altitude" but can't pull then?

There's a problem, you work on it right away and you do anything you can to pull. IT'S AN EMERGENCY.

The higher you are the better you can figure out your landing options.

You can flare with one hand holding 2 toggles, it's pretty difficult but doable. I've been testing that up high and preparing for such landing scenario. You may not be able to get them toggles all the way down, but you can at least do 50% of the flare which should be enough to plane out and do decent PLF landing.

Okay, I'm convinced. I will pull as soon as there is an emergency. I will definitely try the 2 brakes in one hand technique up high. I'm just wondering...what if I pull really up high...I'm gonna stay up there for a while lol. And is wind a factor? 

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

At minimum, I'd unstow one brake. I can use that to turn in either direction (basically flat turns) and it's at half brakes (partially flared) to go straight. I could PLF from that without too much trouble

Wow, this is another option and it sounds great! Thanks!

But, again, it's a pretty advanced technique.

I will definitely consult an experienced canopy instructor! I will try this out on a jump next time. 

Landing area is likely to be a problem. Any normal pattern will be difficult. I'd pick a big open area that has good access to roads. I don't know if I'd be going back to the DZ or loaded directly into an ambulance, so that's more of a priority than making it back to the DZ. 

Depending on how the DZ is laid out (obstacles & hazards around the landing area), I might deliberately not land there. For example, the bigger DZ I usually jump at is right next to a freeway. Landing east and overshooting (or west and coming up short) would put me on the freeway. Bad place to be. There are plenty of farm fields around, so (again depending on the situation at the time) I might pick one of the fields over the DZ. 

Luckily Perris has a huge landing area....there is a lot of yellow grass on the east side of the DZ. West side is the dirt area. But I'm not sure if I stay in california when I go to college next year and I may change a DZ....(I made sure that whatever college I go there is a DZ nearby...lolxD) I will definitely figure out the landing area before I jump. 

The photo is an example of a novice jumper, not yet quite licenced, who did OK on landing with a one armed flare -- Likely only a partial flare on the big student canopy.   She figured out on her own to get her good arm out in front (rather than behind the rear risers) so she could do a symmetrical flare.
The brake lines might have a little less drag if pulled from between the risers instead of around the 'outside' of front and rear risers, as this pic seems to show. Although brake lines coming from the inside of the rear risers might then be more likely to scrape across one's neck or something. I haven't tried to see which method is more practical, but in any case she was able to grab both toggles and could do at least a partial flare!
(Arm was broken on a 2 way Caravan exit where she was inside, coach outside, and the exit count somehow didn't work out so she got smacked against the door frame.)

836818396_flyingwbrokenarmCOPY.jpg.90675bafdbd16b662532c3acc53d5ea7.jpg

• Like 2

(edited)

You can see on the picture how brake lines above her head are at nearly 90 degrees on top of already being wrapped around front risers. That causes significant friction, I tried exactly that type of flare with single hand, NOT EASY. 

As pchapman says, I think it may be easier/better to pull toggles in between risers. Gotta try that next time. 

Edited by CoolBeans
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, David Wang said:

Wow, this is another option and it sounds great! Thanks!

I will definitely consult an experienced canopy instructor! I will try this out on a jump next time. 

Luckily Perris has a huge landing area....there is a lot of yellow grass on the east side of the DZ. West side is the dirt area. But I'm not sure if I stay in california when I go to college next year and I may change a DZ....(I made sure that whatever college I go there is a DZ nearby...lolxD) I will definitely figure out the landing area before I jump. 

Come to Urbana-Champaign and jump our Cessna with us! 20 minute drive from the University and there is an active group of student jumpers.

3 hours ago, pchapman said:

The photo is an example of a novice jumper, not yet quite licenced, who did OK on landing with a one armed flare -- Likely only a partial flare on the big student canopy.   She figured out on her own to get her good arm out in front (rather than behind the rear risers) so she could do a symmetrical flare.
The brake lines might have a little less drag if pulled from between the risers instead of around the 'outside' of front and rear risers, as this pic seems to show. Although brake lines coming from the inside of the rear risers might then be more likely to scrape across one's neck or something. I haven't tried to see which method is more practical, but in any case she was able to grab both toggles and could do at least a partial flare!
(Arm was broken on a 2 way Caravan exit where she was inside, coach outside, and the exit count somehow didn't work out so she got smacked against the door frame.)

836818396_flyingwbrokenarmCOPY.jpg.90675bafdbd16b662532c3acc53d5ea7.jpg

wow! This picture is wonderful!!!

(edited)

I was talking to an experienced instructor. He mentioned that if there is a malfunction on the main the risk is higher. I believe that's true, so I think I need to learn one hand cutaway as well?? Different DZs teach different EPs, one hand or both hands...right?

I still achieved both hand cutaway when I dislocated my right shoulder on jump #24, right arm hurt like hell but when there was a malfunction there was a different kind of adrenaline going on. 

IMG_8043.PNG

Edited by David Wang

You are really overthinking all that.

If you practice 2 hands on 1 handle EPs - that's perfectly fine. Keep it that way.

If one day you end up having 1 non-working hand, just adapt and do what you can instead. Pull that handle with any other body part that is capable of pulling the handle. 

• Like 1

(edited)
10 minutes ago, CoolBeans said:

You are really overthinking all that.

If you practice 2 hands on 1 handle EPs - that's perfectly fine. Keep it that way.

If one day you end up having 1 non-working hand, just adapt and do what you can instead. Pull that handle with any other body part that is capable of pulling the handle. 

that's ture....the question is if I can cut away in a timely manner. This is also a point my instructor mentioned. 

Edited by David Wang

1 hour ago, David Wang said:

that's ture....the question is if I can cut away in a timely manner. This is also a point my instructor mentioned. 

You might not, in which case you might get hurt.

If you have a more typical emergency but you mess up your EPs because you emphasized weird edge cases in your training, you might get hurt.

Which scenario is more likely?

1 minute ago, nwt said:

You might not, in which case you might get hurt.

If you have a more typical emergency but you mess up your EPs because you emphasized weird edge cases in your training, you might get hurt.

Which scenario is more likely?

Good point!! I will stick to what I have learned. Look red, grab red, peel, pull. Look silver, grab silver, peel, pull. You guys are right just adapt if shoulder dislocates and I need to cut away. 

13 minutes ago, David Wang said:

Good point!! I will stick to what I have learned. Look red, grab red, peel, pull. Look silver, grab silver, peel, pull. You guys are right just adapt if shoulder dislocates and I need to cut away. 

Are you sure that's right? I'm familiar with two methods:

The one I was taught in AFF:

1. look red
  2. grab red (both hands)
  3. look silver
  4. peel, pull red
  5. grab silver (both hands)
  6. pull silver

And the one I practice now:

1. look red
  2. grab red (one hand)
  3. look silver
  4. grab silver (other hand)
  5. peel, pull red
  6. pull silver

(edited)
9 minutes ago, nwt said:

Are you sure that's right? I'm familiar with two methods:

The one I was taught in AFF:

1. look red
  2. grab red (both hands)
  3. look silver
  4. peel, pull red
  5. grab silver (both hands)
  6. pull silver

And the one I practice now:

1. look red
  2. grab red (one hand)
  3. look silver
  4. grab silver (other hand)
  5. peel, pull red
  6. pull silver

Yeah that's right. Perris teaches to look at the cutaway handle first, (because during an emergency the handle may move around) and put both hands on the cutaway handle, peel (up), pull(straight down, minimize pull force) and look at the reserve handle, (handle may move around, look first before grabbing), both hands on reserve handle, thumb go through the D ring so I wounldn't lose it. peel, pull. I was told before that there were students at Perris who messed up the EPs, for example like pulling the reserve first before cutting away the main because each hand was grabbing each handle. I believe those two methods are also correct there is no universal way.

Edited by David Wang

18 minutes ago, David Wang said:

Yeah that's right. Perris teaches to look at the cutaway handle first, (because during an emergency the handle may move around) and put both hands on the cutaway handle, peel (up), pull(straight down, minimize pull force) and look at the reserve handle, (handle may move around, look first before grabbing), both hands on reserve handle, thumb go through the D ring so I wounldn't lose it. peel, pull. I was told before that there were students at Perris who messed up the EPs, for example like pulling the reserve first before cutting away the main because each hand was grabbing each handle. I believe those two methods are also correct there is no universal way.

Interesting. Well, definitely stick to what your instructor tells you, at least until you are licensed.

47 minutes ago, nwt said:

Interesting. Well, definitely stick to what your instructor tells you, at least until you are licensed.

Can't wait to be back in the sky. It's hard to watch my friends flying in the sky while I'm staying home everyday. Going to check out my shoulder in Jaunary and have another surgery in May. Blue Skies! B)