vpjr

PT6-20 Cessna U206

That's about 30 gal/hr in a maximum performance climb?

When can I go for a 'sit down, shut up and hold on' ride?:)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Im not pushing the engine "Max performance", only 650C, top of green is 705C for the -20. My goal is to get great performance from the lighter airframe at temps that will make the engine last and last. Pushing the -20 to top of green temps greatly reduces the hot section life.

vpjr

Im not pushing the engine "Max performance", only 650C, top of green is 705C for the -20. My goal is to get great performance from the lighter airframe at temps that will make the engine last and last. Pushing the -20 to top of green temps greatly reduces the hot section life.

Gotcha!

What's the horsepower you've got it limited to now? I can only imagine the seat of the pants feeling you get from that thing on a light load.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Are you still working on this project?
What is the current status?
I am interested. It could be just right for small to mid size DZs.
I would like to see demonstrated performance numbers as soon as you have them and to be kept up[email] to date on status of the project. I would seriously consider purchasing one. It would be a good fit for DZ's that can't support a Caravan or as an overflow plane for a DZ that is out growing a Caravan. I have two Grand Caravans and it is always difficult for a DZ to make it across that huge gap between piston and turbine aircraft. Turbine 206 at the right price point could be the right stepping stone to make it across. If the price to capacity ratio is right, I would buy one tomorrow and give it a shot. I would prefer the aft roll up door and speed brakes.

I am waiting for the engineering drawings to be completed and submitted along with the Instructions for continued airworthiness and POH supplement. The lawyers say the drawings are to be submitted end of april and the rest middle of may. The Feds say 3 months after submission the final flight test will be after that. I had to get lawyers involved now so we will see what will happen. [:/]

Awesome Thread to read through... Keep at it as it is obvious you have come a long way on this project and I hope the end is somewhere in sight! Absolutely love seeing someone push down the road of innovation! :)
Scott C.

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Iago

***I am waiting for the engineering drawings to be completed and submitted along with the Instructions for continued airworthiness and POH supplement. The lawyers say the drawings are to be submitted end of april and the rest middle of may. The Feds say 3 months after submission the final flight test will be after that. I had to get lawyers involved now so we will see what will happen. [:/]

I suppose if you want to drop skydivers you can't just stencil 'EXPERIMENTAL' on the side. Bummer.

Actually, I think you can't do any commercial ops in an experimental.

Now, if it wasn't a commercial operation and nobody was paying for the jump, may actually be legal.

theonlyski

******I am waiting for the engineering drawings to be completed and submitted along with the Instructions for continued airworthiness and POH supplement. The lawyers say the drawings are to be submitted end of april and the rest middle of may. The Feds say 3 months after submission the final flight test will be after that. I had to get lawyers involved now so we will see what will happen. [:/]

I suppose if you want to drop skydivers you can't just stencil 'EXPERIMENTAL' on the side. Bummer.

Now, if it wasn't a commercial operation and nobody was paying for the jump, may actually be legal.

I volunteer to jump it and not pay. :)
-

theonlyski

******I am waiting for the engineering drawings to be completed and submitted along with the Instructions for continued airworthiness and POH supplement. The lawyers say the drawings are to be submitted end of april and the rest middle of may. The Feds say 3 months after submission the final flight test will be after that. I had to get lawyers involved now so we will see what will happen. [:/]

Not exactly. We've had this discussion before.

I don't know the specifics, but some people who do made comments in THIS thread.

Apparently, experimentals have a list of approved operations on the cert. If skydiving isn't listed on there, it's not legal.

Not that it can't be done. Or hasn't been done.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

*********I am waiting for the engineering drawings to be completed and submitted along with the Instructions for continued airworthiness and POH supplement. The lawyers say the drawings are to be submitted end of april and the rest middle of may. The Feds say 3 months after submission the final flight test will be after that. I had to get lawyers involved now so we will see what will happen. [:/]

Not exactly. We've had this discussion before.

I don't know the specifics, but some people who do made comments in THIS thread.

Apparently, experimentals have a list of approved operations on the cert. If skydiving isn't listed on there, it's not legal.

Not that it can't be done. Or hasn't been done.

I have an experimental aircraft and skydiving & commercial operations are written as exclusions in the operating limitations. I guess theoretically you could get the local FSDO alter the operating limitations but my guess is that it would be a could day in hell before that happened. :)

vpjr

I am waiting for the engineering drawings to be completed and submitted along with the Instructions for continued airworthiness and POH supplement. The lawyers say the drawings are to be submitted end of april and the rest middle of may. The Feds say 3 months after submission the final flight test will be after that. I had to get lawyers involved now so we will see what will happen. [:/]

What about middle of may. Tell us good news ;-)

Soooo, Almost 6 years from the start of this. I just finished the Flight test demonstration with the FAA and passed. I have a small fix it list but nothing to difficult. After I show the changes the paperwork makes one more pass through the Aircraft Certification Office and the STC will be issued. I am waiting to post all the relevant specs when the paperwork is done and handed to me.

Sweet! And it only seems like yesterday that I saw this thread for the first time! I want to jump it. Actually, would almost rather just ride up and down. He'll, I'll do both!

Hopefully the market shows some love. Sure could fill a gap.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

vpjr

I know it wont include the 207.

Shucks!
I was hoping that we could carry one extra jumper to help pay the cost of Jet A ... kind of like a Soloy 207.

Will your engine conversion be compatible with all the various STOL kits (Wing-X, Sportsman, Flint, Robertson, etc.)

Would you do me a favour and make PT6A fuel pump inspections mandatory at every 50 hour inspection?

Jet A is cheaper than Av Gas and I think the spread will only increase over time. The Prototype is a little heavy and needs a diet. I demonstrated the aircraft to the Flight Test DER at 3780lbs (180) over gross to get the data for a gross weight increase. The original STC will have the 3600# Gross and then the paper work for the increase will be submitted and we will have to wait for that to go through.
The Prototype aircraft had the Sportsman STOL leading edge Cuff and was flight tested with it. Aircraft getting the conversion will need the Sportsman Cuff until someone flight tests the conversion with out. Adding Wing X, etc is up to the IA that installs any additional STC mods. No restriction for other STCs.
I thought about you Rob when I was doing the FCU inspection.

vpjr

The Prototype is a little heavy and needs a diet. I demonstrated the aircraft to the Flight Test DER at 3780 lbs (180) over gross to get the data for a gross weight increase. The original STC will have the 3600# Gross and then the paper work for the increase will be submitted and we will have to wait for that to go through.

How does the empty weight compare to what it was originally with the 520?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ