vpjr

PT6-20 Cessna U206

Thank you everyone that has shown interest in this PT6-20 U206 concept. Unfortunately the company that is supposed to perform and complete the work to STC cannot find the time to work on and complete my airplane. Quality work has been done on the aircraft and significant effort by the conversion company has been done. 90% done 90% to go. They were behind on the contract over a year ago and I allowed it to continue because of the quality work but for the past 7 months they have been pushing it to the back of the hanger and working on it when nothing else is going on. They tell me that they will work on it tomorrow, It will be running in 2 ½ weeks, flying by ___, but it has just been words from the owner of the company and no action. I believe they had good intentions but they already have all my money and working on my plane doesn’t bring in money today. I want this program to be completed but there has to be a change.
The company contracted to complete the work need to dedicate the resources and time to finish it now or I will have to recover my airframe, engine, prop and sue them for return of my money and the repairs to my airplane. I do not think they have the money/Time/desire to buy another U206 and use their experience and parts to build another aircraft and finish it. (Or they would just finish mine) If I pull my aircraft and parts this program will never go forward with this company unless they find another sucker. I will have to sue and they will probably just drag it out in the courts, bleed the company dry, and declare bankruptcy instead of doing the right thing and making me whole. If I go that way I get screwed but I get back my airframe and start repairing my losses. Not that upjumpers love Cessna U206s but this PT6-20 U206 would be a Cheap, screaming fast, easy to fill, Tandem hauling, Turbine reliable machine that fills this jump aircraft gap.
I am hoping that if possible buyers of the conversion kit contact them, ask if they are going to complete it, express interest in purchasing a completed kit with STC, explain the demand for this aircraft, When it will be completed? How much the kit will cost? Show that this will be a money making endeavor for them if they push forward and get this done. Hopefully then they will dedicate the time needed to get it done. Don’t get into a conversation of Why it’s not done because it is a waste of time. Ive wasted enough time and money on that “F”ing question. The owner has a list of excuses of why it’s not done, blames me, (Really?) I have not delayed this program in any way and they have received the money up front and in full. If you would be a serious buyer of the conversion kit please contact him. Remember this needs to be the carrot. Ive been swing the stick but his hide is to thick. Turbine Conversions Ltd. http://turbineconversions.com/default.html Bill Hatfield (Owner) 616-837-9428 [email protected] (Do not give these people any money without the hardware in your hand or everthing air tight in an escrow account)
Thank you for your support in this endeavor. Van Pray Jr. 636-484-0084

It looks like all of their work is currently in cropdusting, but if they can complete an STC on the 206 project with a PT-6, the sales opportunities would go way beyond just skydiving.

Given the numbers you were quoting for a completed ship, even if you bump them by $50k for a nice panel/paint/interior, it would be a very attractive price for GA pilots looking to get into a turbine. There are no other choices for a turbine single short of a Meridian, and you could undercut the used cost of a Meridian by several $100k. On top of that you can offer it in a 'trusted' Cessna airframe, which goes a long way in GA.

Previous Cessna turbine conversions were all more money and didn't feature a PT-6. With the availability of cheap -20s from King Air upgrades (1 KA could make 2 PT-206s), it represents a significant shift in the two big areas, the price and the powerplant, and they're both in the 'right' direction. The price is lower, and the powerplant is an upgrade, two things that rarely go together.

Talk to the guys doing the executive interiors on Caravans, and they'll tell you that GA is looking for 'affordable' turbines for private use. I'd almost be willing to bet they could sell more of these 206s all dressed up for GA than stripped down to DZs.

The business side of this deal is a shame. Hope things come out in your favor in the end, the idea is a winner all around, and it looks to be far enough along not to just let it die.

With GA in the dumps, it begs the question what else are they doing? Don't have time to finish? Really, WTF? These people are dirtbags and should be exposed as such. Till they prove otherwise, no more business, money, or compensation should be directed their way. Period.

I talked to Bill and he said it would be flying in April and on the market by next year. He answered my questions without getting in to much details but when I asked why is it taking so long, yes, he is very busy dealing with crop dusting planes. He also told me that the STC will be covering the PT6-21 and his shop does not intend to convert the planes on premisses but sell the kits and provide assistance to the shop of your choice.
I will keep calling him from time to time asking for updates and current progress on this project.

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

They started working on it again 3 weeks ago. It is not running yet. Close I think, if they do not stop working on it again. There still is a lot of work to get it flying. Bill now says that he didnt tell me that it would be flying in April. Say that I am totally mistaken. Seems others have heard the same thing as me. If you have time / interested in this product / willing to give me a hand in showing this product viability, give him a call and find out when this will be flying. I can understand "why should I call so someone can lie to me?" I have lost a lot of sleep over this.

Progress!

How much more is left before you can take it for a spin and then start dropping jumpers?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Started it last Tuesday. It would be nice to be happy but the lost time due to them not working on it has me so upset. Ill try and post a photo and the link to the start video. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/01ho0u2sREbUuellJ2nI8dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink http://youtu.be/CxnzgvfdaDw

Fixed the link for you.

Those blades look like they only have about 2 or 3 inches clearance.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You are correct on the current prop clearance. The nose gear strut was still flat and when it is pumped up the prop will have much more clearance. When the strut is deflated and tire deflated the prop has positive clearance. W/B will is the next big question. It didnt feel nose heavy but the scales will tell the tale.

You are correct on the current prop clearance. The nose gear strut was still flat and when it is pumped up the prop will have much more clearance. When the strut is deflated and tire deflated the prop has positive clearance. W/B will is the next big question. It didnt feel nose heavy but the scales will tell the tale.

Yah that was the first thing I noticed. Flat strut. Might I suggest landing first notch of flaps only when empty? I'm sure you already figured that.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

All my 206s have the large horizontal stabs. Ensuring the empty W/B is set right (battery placement) then the Max GW and empty landing will be in and the airplane can do STOL landings. I was thinking to flatten the exhaust pipes like a Porter creating a Canard effect reducing elevator loads.

All my 206s have the large horizontal stabs. Ensuring the empty W/B is set right (battery placement) then the Max GW and empty landing will be in and the airplane can do STOL landings. I was thinking to flatten the exhaust pipes like a Porter creating a Canard effect reducing elevator loads.

Neat. I've always lusted over a turbine 206.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

These things are always frustrating and immensely time consuming. Keep the faith, it will get done, and when it does....hold on to your hat! She is gonna be one climbing machine! Might even keep up with our King Air 200 and Taurus 90's!

Keep up the good work Van!
Airline Transport Pilot, Multi-Engine Land, DHC-8
Commercial Multi-Engine Sea, Single Engine Land
Private Glider

A preliminary W/B has been preformed. Not everything is installed yet and the aircraft was not configured as close to the original W/B as it could have been to get the most accurate change. The mod is currently overweight and fwd CG. Might be 100lbs overweight. One set of batteries are being moved to the baggage compartment now to correct the CG. I feel the modification can be put on a diet and loose 60lbs. The fiberglass cowls are thick and heaver than needed, Oil cooler ducting, inertial separator ducting, internal plenum, and even the hardware selection can all be lightened or redesigned to make them lighter. As this is the prototype and each time a system or part was added and now the complexity and weight are up. Ill keep you posted.