vpjr

PT6-20 Cessna U206

Moving fwd slooooowwwwwlllllyyyy.

No problem, we are patient. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Just as long as it's ready for the start of the season.:P

Seriously though, progress is progress even if it is slow.

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

It looks like you went and picked up that engine in one of your U206s. I really think that these airplanes will be a big hit around the skydiving community! And I look forward to seeing one fly at my DZ someday in the not so far future!

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

It looks like you went and picked up that engine in one of your U206s. I really think that these airplanes will be a big hit around the skydiving community! And I look forward to seeing one fly at my DZ someday in the not so far future!

I LOVE the 'can-do' attitude of hacking this together.... But I am a bit curious about the business case.

A C-206 is somewhere north of $200,000.
A PT-6 is also somewhere north of $200,000.
Add in a big whack of labor and paperwork, and you're somewhere around $500,000.

Compare that to the cost of a Porter, older Caravan, or even a PAC.... I dunno. Seems expensive for a small plane.

Still, very cool...!

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

But think about the DZO that has a C206 that needs a new powerplant. Now it looks damn reasonable for a plane that will burn Jet A and climb like a rocket turning loads all day long.

The only concern might be needing more tandem rigs because the plane will out turn the packers.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

But think about the DZO that has a C206 that needs a new powerplant. Now it looks damn reasonable for a plane that will burn Jet A and climb like a rocket turning loads all day long.

The only concern might be needing more tandem rigs because the plane will out turn the packers.

I also really doubt that an old U206 with a ran out engine would run anywhere near $200,000. The PT6-20 as I understand is a bit obsolete coming off of old King Airs in favor of larger/newer engines. So again maybe depending on perspective reasonable cost.

My guess would be that Van is just a bit more informed on the subject than I.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Porter with -27: $750,000
Caravan well used: $800,000
PAC: $1.3+

U206: $90,000
Used PT6-20: $100,000

It could be just what a small DZ that does a lot of tandems needs. Single engine, low fuel burn, low insurance, smaller loan.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

A C-206 is somewhere north of $200,000.
A PT-6 is also somewhere north of $200,000.

I also think you're high on your numbers. A 'nice' 206, with a low time engine, and nice paint, panel, and interior might be $200k, but it would have to be real nice. A 'nice for jumping' 206, could be had for less than half of that, and if you find one with a run-out engine that drives the price down even further.

In terms of the PT-6, the -20 is a 'plentiful' engine with all of the upgrade programs out there. They're pulling them off of King Airs all the time, and the upgrade companies give credit for time remaining on the -20, encouraging owners to upgrade now rather than wait until their -20's are run out. The end result is plenty of good, mid-time engines available.

I think if you can put one on the ramp for $300/$400k, it would be a winner for smaller DZs. The price puts it midway between running two 182s or a Caravan. It's great way to get into a turbine for 'cheap' without the MX headaches or costs of a worn out King Air (which can also be had for $400k).

Your $200K prices are to high as others have stated. I could build a nice jump plane for $275K installed. $100 airframe, $60K engine $15K prop and spinner, first kits $75K, $20K installation. No problem at todays dollars. I hope to do 2/3 the work of a Caravan or Porter and cost half.

PT6-20 in a 206. Ok not on a 206 yet but the next airframe and engine for conversion.

Jr.

I would rethink the placement of the new engine if I were you. :P

Sparky

Well now hang on there just one second, Sparky.

Jr. could be thinking of mounting the engine there, running a shaft up the middle of the fuselage, between the two front seats, through the MIP / firewall and clear to the front of the airplane to drive the prop. Think P-39 Airacobra. Of course, it would also necessitate some ducting trough the left and right sides of the fuselage or window behind the pilot's seat on the left and through the cargo doors on the right to port the exhaust overboard and likely an over the wing intake to bring in air for the engine to breath; likely through the area where the rear window is. This would free-up lots of space in what was the engine compartment where the Continental was for machine guns & ammo, syncro'ed to fire through the prop-arc, of course and to correct the weight and balance for removal of the recip engine too. Now where to we put the jumpers... :S

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:P

Usefull load remains the same. Cross Country fuel burns would be much higher. The main benifits to a Part 135 would be dispach reliability, lack of 100LL avgas.

Exactly. I flew a Saloy 206 in Alaska for fuel reasons only. Even though it burned about 25 gal/hour nobody wants to haul AvGas to the bush.

It's all looking good Van and all credit to you for giving it a go. I think the HP will fit well with the airframe for six sport jumpers or three Tandems.

The Soloy always looked like an ideal turbine for a smaller DZ but just way too expensive.

Any idea when you might have STC approval? If the aircraft performs as expected and you can keep the price in the region you have mentioned, I would say you will have trouble keeping up with demand.