vpjr

PT6-20 Cessna U206

The system we are talking about using with 2 batteries has a system of relays so when battery voltage drops to 21Vish during start the 2nd battery drops in series increasing the voltage, 48v no load, increasing the N1 speeds. After start the system returns to parallel 24v for normal charging and use.

It is in the initial stages of destruction / build up. Then STC approval. .

*confused*

Jr,

Why is it you don't (or can't ?) have the STC approval before you go through all the work of tearing the bird down and building it back up?

Same question, but a bit different...

Why do you think it will take another 6 months after y'all get all the work done to get the STC approval?

Sounds like kind of a risky venture to go through the conversion with "hope as a strategy" that the STC will come though? :S

The STC process cant be pre approved. You can submit a request for the concept. Like “ I want to put a Saturn V rocket motor on a J3 cub” Denied. We have to build all of the parts and get engineering drawings, the final weight and balance, and flight test to prove performance and safety. The FAA could still reject or ask for changes. After the final fit and finish of all the parts, Flight manual supplements, then the FAA approves it and STC is granted. It goes even further with parts manufacturing approval etc. Yes it is a gamble. I have partnered with a company that has completed and holds 5 piston to Turboprop STCs so this is the best chance I have. Would I have been smarter going to Vegas and putting it all on Black? Rich of poor in 30 seconds. This way here I can stress for a longer time. It was so much fun building my Long Eze and flying it for the first time and over that first year. That high lasted for years. Just like our first year of skydiving I suppose. I think that the completed aircraft will fit a need and make things easier for the Medium sized DZs.

Jr,

Thanks for the explanation... ya gotta just love the FAA... :S

Spence,

... and how many turbine conversion 210s do you see operating on U.S. Drop Zones?

Of course, one could ask the same of Jr and this endeavor, and have, but at least he's got the stones to ignore the naysayers and try to press forward and carve his own path. Good on him.

DER has the drawings and it should hold a target 450hp max continous power. Engine mount powder coated, all fuselage reinforcements riveted in place. Large nose gear fork reinstalled and waiting on my 6.00X6 tire and wheel to arrive. Engine will be hung begining of next week. Pictures to follow. I have the next set of fuselage attach fittings ready and second engine mount coming out the the jig. Are you next?

Outside photos.

Nice! Gonna climb like a scalded cat! How soon before new weight and balance?

COOL!!! WE GET TO SCALD CATS DURING FLIGHT TEST OF JRs PT6-20 206!!! SIGN ME UP!!!!

:D:D

But seriously... Jr, I'm kinda surprised to see there's nothing tying the upper and lower reinforcement doublers together. Obviously not necessary ??? , but how did y'all come up with "how much" reinforcement was necessary?