Bill_K

How long to get A license?

Hello ya'll I have been wondering if I'm the slowest ever or kind of what the average is. It took me 7 months to get my A done. :$:S Between weather, holiday's, family obligations, etc. I jumped enough to stay current and got it done right at 25, but that was spread out over 8 months. Many a weekend at the DZ was spent with no jumping, just talking shop hoping for weather. Anyway, that's my question, how long did it take you guys that can remember that far back in your jumping lives?

As a follow on to that, how long after getting your A did it take to get your B done? My personal goal is to have my B by the end of July or August, but that will mean a pretty big increase in jump frequency over what I'm getting now. [:/] I got the biggy for B out of the way last weekend while it was to windy here to jump. Water training. :o That was actually pretty fun, jumping into a pool with gear on and getting out of it. Pretty cool... can't wait to jump over the ocean now.

Thanks in advance for the answers...

Laters,
Bill K.

The min is 25 jumps to get A in the UK (AFAIK). I suppose its possible to do it in 2 weeks if the weather is good and finances are availible.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Oh, I've got ya beat... It took me nine months to get my 'A' and 28 jumps. I was at the DZ every weekend, and I needed two Airspeed wind tunnel camps. Part of the problem was the weather. I began the training in November in Virginia.

I failed water training the first time. I got my 'B' license two months after my 'A' at jump 54.

My 'C' license on jump 200 ten days short of the anniversary of my 'A' license.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Oh, I've got ya beat... It took me nine months to get my 'A' and 28 jumps. I was at the DZ every weekend, and I needed two Airspeed wind tunnel camps. Part of the problem was the weather. I began the training in November in Virginia.

I failed water training the first time. I got my 'B' license two months after my 'A' at jump 54.

My 'C' license on jump 200 ten days short of the anniversary of my 'A' license.

That's awesome on B and C. I guess that my time frame to A is turning out to be about average so far...

Hello ya'll I have been wondering if I'm the slowest ever or kind of what the average is. It took me 7 months to get my A done. :$:S Between weather, holiday's, family obligations, etc. I jumped enough to stay current and got it done right at 25, but that was spread out over 8 months. Many a weekend at the DZ was spent with no jumping, just talking shop hoping for weather. Anyway, that's my question, how long did it take you guys that can remember that far back in your jumping lives?

No worries man, I did my AFF last summer and finished on Aug. 10th. Started my coach jumps and got to 21 jumps in october. Had to stop because of winter and then started back up in May and got my 'A' on May 9th.

So 10 months long....I know how you feel. The point is that we have it now. Thats all that mattersB|

I haven't been able to make a jump yet because of no $$$, so i'm on hold until I get paid. I was able to do my Water Training the other day though...that was cool
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

first jump was early June last year... Its almost 1 year and ive got about 4 more jumps till i will have everything for my A. Im doing the SDU method. Skydive University. It helps fill the gap between AFF and A Liscense with the required skills needed and it works out to almost being like you just pay for the instructors slot to get the coaching. If you pay for them 3 at a time. I had to repeat some levels a few times. All in the fall rate control department. It will be about a month before i do gain that A. ;)

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

first jump was early June last year... Its almost 1 year and ive got about 4 more jumps till i will have everything for my A. Im doing the SDU method. Skydive University. It helps fill the gap between AFF and A Liscense with the required skills needed and it works out to almost being like you just pay for the instructors slot to get the coaching. If you pay for them 3 at a time. I had to repeat some levels a few times. All in the fall rate control department. It will be about a month before i do gain that A. ;)

;) We started about the same time and are progressing at about the same rate. I still have 6 SDU jumps & hop-n-pop with my pack job to do. Unfortunately, I'm almost 3 months out of currency. [:/] Not sure when I'll be able to get back out there.

Life happens, ya know.

It took me 6 months to finish my A license in about 30 jumps. In the 12 months after I got my A license I did just shy of 400 jumps.

Chris – I was wondering what happened to you. We had, what I thought were, some great coaching jumps together and then you just never showed back up at the DZ! You could hurt a guy’s feelings you know. I was looking forward to knocking out the rest of your jumps in short order! “Life Happens?… yes it does at 13,500 feet! :ph34r:

Armando – you are just slacking at this point! Get out there and finish your license! ;)

I just had surgery last week to fuse my C6 and C7 vertebra in my neck. I won’t be able to jump for about 3 months. Both of you guys better be working on your B licenses by the time I’m back in the air. You are both close…so close! :)
Blue Skies,
Ron
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Erm...year and a half? :$
Started on RAPS, did quite a few, got onto freefall....then went travelling.
Came back, saved up and decided to do AFF. Next jump will be my last consol and I've finished CH1, so I can go straight to the little red book of joy.
AFF was one of the best things I've ever done.
:)

"I have done that," says my memory. "I cannot have done that," says my pride, and remains adamant. At last, memory yields. - Nietzsche

What is RAPS that I've now seen twice, in the same thread for the first time ever?

It is a static line progression on RAM air caonopys. Kind of good for cash strapped students as it is a more pay-as-you-go method, although I think you might end up paying the same to get your A as AFF, just spaced out over longer. Also quite a few of the uni skydiving clubs in the UK sub RAPS jumps (thank you tax payers:P). It is theoretically an 18 jump minimum progression, but combined with dummy pulls and the UK weather (esp uni students starting in september) I am not sure that many people do it in 18. :)
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

What is RAPS that I've now seen twice, in the same thread for the first time ever?

It is a static line progression on RAM air caonopys. Kind of good for cash strapped students as it is a more pay-as-you-go method, although I think you might end up paying the same to get your A as AFF, just spaced out over longer. Also quite a few of the uni skydiving clubs in the UK sub RAPS jumps (thank you tax payers:P). It is theoretically an 18 jump minimum progression, but combined with dummy pulls and the UK weather (esp uni students starting in september) I am not sure that many people do it in 18. :)

Kewl, thanks for the info.

I think my biggest hurdle right now is learning to pack faster so I can turn around and get on the next loads faster. I really want to get my B done and be well on my way to a C this summer. I want to try night jumps and jumping at the ocean, etc. Only a matter of time now I guess. :)

Seven months and 37 jumps to get my A license. I had my C license 6 months later. (Skipped over B, so I'm not really sure when I met the B requirements ... I know I didn't get water training till 120something jumps).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Seven months and 37 jumps to get my A license. I had my C license 6 months later. (Skipped over B, so I'm not really sure when I met the B requirements ... I know I didn't get water training till 120something jumps).

How do you 'skip' a B?

How do you 'skip' a B?

You don't bother applying for one or sending USPA any money.

In order to get a C license, you have to meet and document all the requirements for a B license as well as all the requirements for a C license. You don't have to actually get a B license though. Same goes for a D license... you could just meet the B&C requirements and never bother applying.

How do you 'skip' a B?

You don't bother applying for one or sending USPA any money.

In order to get a C license, you have to meet and document all the requirements for a B license as well as all the requirements for a C license. You don't have to actually get a B license though. Same goes for a D license... you could just meet the B&C requirements and never bother applying.

That's pretty cool, did not realize that. I have several pilot's licenses and in each case with those I had to have one before the other. For example to get my instrument I had to have my private. For my commercial I had to have both or do both in the same check ride. Just kind of assumed that it was the same here... thanks for setting me straight. :)

Just under a month for my A license (I hope)
I hit my 25th jump today and have fullfilled all the flight requirements, and take the written tomorrow.
but, you need an active DZ, and need to be prepared to take time away from work, I'd guess. Fortunately it's summer, and our DZ can fly until about 8:30 without being post-sunset. Start jumping at 4/4:30, can usually get in 4-5 jumps before dark. Weekends are made for 10-12 jumps.

I guess I'm the exception... it took me a couple weeks to get my A and a few more to get my B. C took me a while longer due to moving and weather issues. I'd have my D except I'm missing night jumps.

I thought you had to do night jumps to get your C?
Maybe I'm reading the SIM wrong?

I thought you had to do night jumps to get your C?
Maybe I'm reading the SIM wrong?

Night jumps are a requirment for a D. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP